“Great Service”

Ranked #74 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Newmarket, Canada
“Great Service”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was referred to the Don Valley Hotel & Suites as my wife was a patient at Sunnybrook Hospital for several weeks.
The service I received from the front desk staff in particular was outstanding. They understood the situation, understood the uncertainty of the length of my stay and the unusual hours. They arranged a move for me one
night due to an enthusiastic group of young people on my floor - did everything they could to make my stay as
enjoyable as possible. The rooms were well equipped and the rate was very reasonable. We will definitely be
staying at this hotel again when we can both enjoy their hospitality under better circumstances.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Marsdale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, Ontario
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I visited this hotel on business. I was warmly greeted by a New Zealand-born hotel clerk who explained that I was to be staying in a newly renovated deluxe King room. He explained that there were 2 pools and showed me where the restaurant was. My room did not have a king bed, but two doubles. A balcony overlooked the Don Valley Ravine. It had one dirty chair on it. I opted not to sit out. I had to call to have the remote on the TV switched to one that worked. There was no fridge in the room (something I notice because my wife requires one medically). An additional twenty dollar charge would have necessitated that had she been traveling with me. The bathroom's sink and vanity were upgraded. The tub did not look like it had, but the shower head was. (The water pressure was abysmal in the morning). I killed a large bug as I entered the bathroom, making me check for bugs elsewhere. I found none. I went for a swim outdoors (the indoor pool was closed). It was a well maintained pool with lots of towels around. The bar was quite nice and I met a colleague for dinner. The meals was delicious and our server very attentive. The restaurant is quite modern. I retired to bed and found the bed uncomfortably hard. One would expect a pillow top bed in a renovated hotel. I work in the morning and went down for breakfast (which was included in the price). Most items on the buffet were just luke warm. It was a hunt to find a clean place to sit down. The servers were overworked and snippy with one another and quests. Check out was fine with the same desk clerk. There is a business centre with internet. Not a bad place to stay, but certainly not great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ontario
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have stayed at the Toronto Don Valley many times. The renovations they are done are nice and refreshing. Brown and turquoise throughout!
The service at the front desk is terrific. Risha is fabulous and very attentive.
I was given an updated room and I loved it. Flat screens tvs that work, wifi, and comfy beds.
Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This was my 5th stay at the Don Valley Hotel and I have to say, the best. Previous visits saw me in a well used, worn room with a promise that the renovations would soon be done. This was the excuse for 3-years!! However, they came through and gave me a very clean, updated room that let me very satisfied. The staff were very friendly, welcoming and tried very hard to help me with anything they could. I made use of the pool & whirlpool. Pool was cozy warm however, the whirlpool didn't really "whirl". The beds are okay: a little on the soft side for me, but my wife thought they were fine.
My only issue was that the hotel was full and as it was a Saturday night, there was a lot of noise in the halls with comings and goings late into the night. Unfortunately, also at 6:30 Sunday morning!! However, I cannot blame the hotel for its success at filling the place or how its guests behave.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if all the renovations are complete so just ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The hotel is not downtown but is easy to find. It is easy to access from the DVP if driving. It is on a ttc bus route that travels from Broadview Station or Eglinton/Yonge station. You can get quite amazing deals for the rooms. Rooms are decent, clean and affordable. Excellent gym. Both an indoor atrium style pool and outdoor pool with deck. The hot tub needed improvement when we visited. I would likely bring food or visit the Tim Hortons before ordering room service as it was a little pricey and only mediocre. There seem to be many bus tour services from overseas that come through this hotel so you can get stuck in a long line up at times.

Room Tip: I prefer the room that overlooked the pool rather than the parking lot. And I request a room that h...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Gatineau
Reviewed May 29, 2013

If you want a place away from downtown, where you can go for a jog or a leisurly walk in nature in the evening, this is the place. It's right by the Don Valley river, and there is a nice nature walking path along it.

But it's a bit out of the way (20 mins cab ride to downtown).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The opportunity to saty at this hotel came through a coupon that included parking. I am so glad I took advantage of the coupon. The front entrance is quite different from other hotels but easy enough to figure out. Seeing the pool from the front desk made it that more inviting. The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful. The room was very comfortable and well decorated. The only thing that detracted for me was that the eleavators were amazingly slow. This is now a contender for my next trip to Toronto.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo