“Be very careful about extra charges if you book via Hotwire”

Quality Suites Toronto Airport
Ranked #103 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 10, 2011

The hotel was basic, and *might* be fine overall for a cheap overnight stay. My issue is that the hotel website states very clearly that there's a free shuttle to/from Pearson, where in practice the hotel does a "bait and switch".

When I got my monthly credit card statement, I saw a charge for $12 ($6x2) from the hotel. I called and was told that it is a charge for the shuttle to the airport from the hotel because I booked via Hotwire. Apparently it's still free to take the shuttle from Pearson to the hotel, but the hotel charges you to go the other way.

I told the hotel that no one ever told me there would be such a charge, but all I got was the canned response "That's our deal with Hotwire". I called Hotwire and they had never heard of this additional charge. Hotwire ended up offering me a credit for the shuttle charge, and I contested the charge with my credit card company.

Make sure you ask the hotel about extra charges or you may be surprised at a later point, when the hotel is unwilling to do anything about it.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brianinvan
carlingview, Manager at Quality Suites Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Quality Suites Toronto Airport. Our goal is to exceed expectations of our valuable guests and it is evident through your comments that we did not meet them. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay.

Reviewed April 17, 2011

Staff very accommodating for allowing us an early check-in and a late check-out. We were travelling with a small dog, and this made our stay at the hotel so much more satifying. The suite was very comfortable, large and clean. Free high speed internet was also a positive asset, as well as free local calls. The value for the price was exceptional. We will certainly stay here again when having a one-night stop over in the Toronto airport area on route to another destination.

Room Tip: check rates on line
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Siroka
carlingview, Manager at Quality Suites Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2011

Thank you for your response and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay with The Quality Suites Toronto Airport. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Quality Suites Toronto Airport

Reviewed April 11, 2011

Stayed there because we needed to catch an early morning flight and parked the car for a week. The parking was overcrowded and couldn't find a parking spot. I reported to the desk and an agent came right after she checked-in a guest and moved her parking spot for me. I was very impressed!! Then I went to the restaurant on the ground floor for a late dinner, the food was great and it wasn't very expensive! I had a very comfortable bed and it was a king-size! Eventhough, I didn't need a suite for a short stay, I believe they are all suites hotels. With the price that I paid, the park and staying package that I had and the service I had experienced, it was extremely excellent! I would recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues if they ask me about park and fly hotel in the airport area.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
carlingview, Manager at Quality Suites Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2011

We appreciate your thorough and complimentary review of the Quality Suites Toronto Airport. We hope you will continue to have us as your hotel of choice in the Toronto area and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 11, 2011

This hotel has mostly friendly front desk staff. The employee who checked me in, and one who checked me out, were both very friendly and pleasant.
The hotel has ample parking even though it had a sign signaling limited parking. I did not have a problem parking.
My room was clean, comfortable, and nice looking. It was very loud in the hallway from 10pm on, but I didn't bother contacting the front desk. It didn't end up interupting my sleep.
The beds are very very firm, and hard. The pillows are slim, kind of tough, and firm as opposed to big, fluffy and soft. I had trouble sleeping, and wished I'd brought my own pillow with me. There is no fridge, or microwave, which was not a huge issue, but I prefer to have that in my room.
I used the hotel guide, from the desk in my room, to locate vending machines. I found the one on my floor was out of order, and ended up going to 5 different floors before finding a vending machine. Each floor that listed a machine didn't really have one. I found a machine on 2, i think it was floor 2, and the vending machine was empty but the drink machine was full. The drink machine has gatorate, and lipton, and water, no soda, and is very expensive.

There was no free breakfast, and no continental breakfast at all. On the hotel's website they have a muffin symbol which indicates a continental breakfast. It'd be one thing to find out there is a charge attatched to the breakfast, but as a staff member told me in the morning "there is no continental breakfast". There was a restaurant menu for breakfast, and a buffet for $10. I was told, by a staff member, to go to the front desk to somehow get free breakfast vouchers that people had gotten. My mom went to the desk and came back empty handed. We ended paying $20 for breakfast at Perkins a few miles away.

The computer in the business center was easy to access, right off the lobby, and comfortable, with a glass door that can close for privacy, but only one computer. The lobby is nice looking.

I was able to book this choice hotel with points, so that it was free. I felt that for a free hotel room it was fine, but I was so bummed out over the breakfast mixup, and location(which i'll get to), that I would have been better off paying for a different hotel. The hotel is near the airport, so it might be fine for people flying in for a night. If you are spending time down town, at the Air Canada Center, the TIFF, AGO, or anything like that, you're way better off getting something located downtown. I was led to believe this hotel was a short distance, but it took forever, with heavy traffic, to get there from downtown, a 15 minute drive took, I'd say 45 minutes-over an hour at times. You have to leave really early if you have someplace to be at a specific time. So basically if you're passing through and need a place to stay, this would be an okay option except for the lack of free breakfast, and no help from that with the staff, but if you going to be spending time in Toronto, then stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank hauntingsummer
carlingview, Manager at Quality Suites Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2011

Your feedback on the experience you had with the Quality Suites Toronto Airport is important to us. We are dismayed that you had a less than average experience. Thank you for taking time to leave such candid feedback. By reading each of these reviews we are able to recognize areas in need of improvement and take the appropriate actions to correct them. We do hope you will reconsider and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed March 8, 2011

my wife and i stayed there before we left on our honeymoon, it was our first time at a Quality, and it definitely will not be the last. any town we visit and we need to stay at a hotel, this will be our first choice and will be disappointed if there is not one in the town
- the front desk staff were very friendly and very helpful
- very clean halls and rooms
- wife found the bed a little hard, it was good for me
- airport shuttle quick and on time
- 8 days of covered parking for free, thx

Plain and simple unbeatable value for the money
thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

The hotel was delighted to read your complimentary feedback on our property. We not only appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of our property but also for choosing to stay with us on your trips to Toronto. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 7, 2011

I stay at the Quality Suites regularly between business trips, and I am satisfied with my experience there. I find that despite a cross-section of travelers who stay at the hotel, it is always quiet. I even stayed there on New Year's Eve and did not hear a peep from my neighbours.

The decor in the rooms is getting a bit run down, but it is always clean and comfortable.
I do enjoy having a suite to spread out a bit rather than being stuck in a small room.
The fitness center is pretty small.
My experience with the staff at this hotel has always been positive.

Although I don't mind it, I must say I notice a bit of an odour in the hallways on the second and third floor sometimes. It smells to me like people smoking weed in the stairwells maybe? I'm not sure though, it seems unusual that it would happen on a recurring basis... I didn't think there were smoking rooms on those floors, but I'm not sure about that either.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
carlingview, Director of Sales at Quality Suites Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review Quality Suites Toronto Airport on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to hear that you find our rooms quit and comfortable for sleeping. Ownership is in the process of addressing our need for new furnishings. Our 4th floor is a smoking floor; we will keep extra care and control of the smoke smell through the stairwells. We very much value your business and your feedback. Once again thank you for your review.

Keri Walker, Director of Sales, Quality Suites Toronto Airport

Reviewed January 27, 2011

Our family of four stayed one night on January 7th and utilized the package allowing us to leave our vehicle for the duration of our trip. We are a family of four with two children aged 11 & 13.

We usually stay once or twice a year at a hotel along the airport strip and after reading the reviews for this hotel and viewing the pictures we thought we would give it a try as it is very close to the airport. We definately regret that decision now.

Our fist impression of the hotel was that the lobby is very small and dated.

Upon our arrival we approached the front desk. We were the only ones in the lobby and there were two employees at the desk. One was on the phone and the other was staring intently at the computer. We stood at the desk for at least 10 minutes while were completely ignored. There was no greeting whatsoever - not even a "we'll be with you in a minute". Nice customer service.

The female on the computer never did make eye contact with us even though we were standing directly in front of her and talking about how rude it is to be completely ignored!

Once the lady on the phone finished her conversation she checked us in relatively quickly. We were told what floor we were on and when we asked where the elevators were we received a flip of the hand in the general direction. Nice customer service.

Once in the room we again noted that it was pretty dated but appeared clean. Even though this was a non-smoking room there was a terrible stench of cigarette smoke throughout the room. We were already frustrated with dealing with the front desk so we decided to try and make the best of it as it was for only one night.

We settled in and put a pot of coffee on. As there was only one package of coffee we called the front desk to enquire about access to a computer and to obtain more coffee. We were advised that the computer was located in the lobby and when we asked for more coffee we were told to come and get it at the front desk. When we asked if there was someone who could bring it to the room we were told to get it at the front desk when we came down to use the computer. Again - nice service.

We put one of the pay per view movies on for the kids and after about 10 minutes the movie simply shut off. We called the front desk and the phone rang at least 30 times with no answer. We went down to the front desk expecting a long line as they must have been too busy to answer the phone and found three employees at the desk and an empty lobby.

When I asked why they were not answering the phone she said the phone never rang. Funny when it is a one button press on the phone in the room.

I told them about the movie and she didn't seem that concerned. I told her that we would be renting the movie again and that I wanted her to make sure that I would not be double billed and she said she would take it off. I then told her our room stank and requested another room. She gave us a new room and told us to call the front desk once we moved.

We went back to the room and loaded up and moved to the new room. When we tried to call the front desk (as they requested) to advise we were in the new room there was again NO ANSWER after at least 50 rings. More nice customer service.

My husband had to go down to the front desk in person to advise we had moved.

After the movie we went down to the lobby to use the computer to check in for our flight and print our boarding passes. The computer screen had a "sign in" screen up but no one at the front desk knew what I was talking about or the password. There was a way to by-pass the screen which I did and continued to check in. Right before I was to print my boarding passes the computer went back to the sign on screen. I told the front desk what was happening and they were not concerned at all. They would not come over to look or try to rectify the situation. They said they would call maintenance. We waited for a while and finally just left and went back to the room without our boarding passes.

We had a very early flight so we were back down to the lobby around 3:00 a.m. to check out. When we got our bill there was a double charge for the movie. We complained and he simply removed it - no apology or concern.

I could live with the dated hotel as the beds are very comfortable but the customer service (or LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE) puts this hotel below a one star.

If they continue with this type of service I can't imagine that they will be in business very long. There are much better hotels to pick from on this strip and I would encourage everyone to do so.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Milandralove
carlingview, General Manager at Quality Suites Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2011

Your feedback is welcome at Quality Suites Toronto Airport. Although we are always disappointed to hear that someone’s stay was not to their satisfaction, we appreciate knowing what issues you experienced so that we can take the appropriate steps to correct them. Since your review, we did have our phone lines checked and corrected, as we did have two of our trunk lines that were down. We would hope that the many positive reviews posted on Trip Advisor would be a testament to our commitment to providing excellent service and we do regret that you felt this was not our priority during your stay. We will be contacting you directly and hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

George DeSilva

Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Hotel Carlingview Toronto Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Toronto Airport
Comfort Inn Toronto Airport
#20 of 61 in Mississauga
Radisson Suite Hotel Toronto Airport
Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East

Been to Quality Suites Toronto Airport? Share your experiences!