“Overall a good experience, would return again”
Review of Elmwood Spa

Elmwood Spa
Ranked #5 of 111 Spas & Wellness in Toronto
More attraction details
Owner description: Canada's favourite urban oasis, located in the heart of downtown Toronto. With four floors of treatment and renewal options, retreat packages, couples retreats, Water Therapies (swimming pool, whirlpool and steam), two restaurants and a juice bar, Elmwood Spa offers more than any other day spa in Toronto.
Villafranca di Verona, Italy
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Overall a good experience, would return again”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

It was my second time at the Elmwood Spa for a couples massage and we thoroughly enjoyed it, not sure why many negative reviews below. The only negative comment I have is regarding the noise level, I agree with a review below that staff should kindly remind visitors to speak in a low voice. Other than this overall its a wonderful place and we'll definitely return!

Visited December 2013

London, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Most overrated spa ever! Did not enjoy my experience at all.”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I recently visited elmwood with a friend for her 50th birthday. We both had pedicures and my friend also had a manicure. When we arrived we were shown where to go by a very nice lady in the change room. She explained the lockers and water therapy areas very well. The locker room was dated and noisy. We then went out to the bar area and asked if we could order a drink to take with us to our pedicure, we were told to order it from downstairs and they would bring it to us. When we arrived downstairs to the pedicure area they had not received the message my friend left to request that we get our pedicures together so we ended up waiting longer so they could have us side by side (which in turn shortened our pedicure time). Once in our very uncomfortable chairs we were told that we were not able to order drinks other than tea or water. The lady that did my friend's pedicure (Cindy) was extremely chatty and informative. She explained why she was doing things as she was doing them which was great because the lady that was doing mine said nothing, she continuously rolled her eyes as Cindy spoke. The room that we were sitting in was tiny and crowded. There were more workers than clients and they stood in front of us most of the time and talked about where they were going to work next. The noise in the room was awful, it was in no way a relaxing place to be. As soon as the lady that was doing my feet had put the top coat on and struggled putting my flip flops back on (even tho every other person in there seems to get theirs on before polish!) I was asked to leave the chair. I was not even standing when another esthetician came and rushed me out. We did not use the water therapy areas as we were just in Toronto for the day and did not want to spend the time but the hot tub in the middle of the change room did not look like somewhere I would like to be anyway, it was crowded, noisy and old! I have had many pedicures before and have never paid this much for one so maybe I was expecting too much. My heals were still awful, dry and cracking and my toe nails had to be filed again the next day so stop from catching on my socks. I am from London ON and could recommend a number of places that were a million time better than this place for half the price! I will not be back nor will I recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere in Toronto to go.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank EMCK176
ElmwoodSpa, Manager at Elmwood Spa, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Hi EMCK176,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback on your visit.

We sincerely apologize for the miscommunication between our contact centre and spa in arranging for you and your friend to sit side by side; we do our best to accommodate these requests.

We would also like to clear up any misunderstanding regarding drinks in the manicure and pedicure area. We do allow non-alcoholic drinks, but alcoholic drinks must be enjoyed at the licensed Juice Bar or Terrace Restaurant – we apologize for the inconvenience.

We are sorry that you found the chairs uncomfortable and assure you that we have and continue to look for other chairs that will achieve the desired outcome in the space that we have. We have tested other chairs, and the feedback that we have received from our guests and staff so far was that they were too large for the area and not easy to get in and out of. We’re not in a position at this point to do a complete renovation of the mani/pedi area which would include plumbed basins.

Our Spa Services Manager will be investigating the circumstances surrounding your pedicure and will be speaking with all of the aestheticians involved. We want to assure you that we are taking the matter seriously and that this is not the level of service we pride ourselves on. We try our best to ensure that our guests have the best spa experience possible and we hope to welcome you back to Elmwood Spa so that we have an opportunity to provide the excellent service we are known for.

If you have any additional comments or concerns, we invite you to contact us at haveyoursay@elmwoodspa.com.
Toronto, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“This Used To Be So Great.”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Pros - Massages are still great. Amazing, and wonderful. Music and atmosphere generally ok - really like the Lemongrass scent wafting through the place.

Cons - Hot tub has missing tiles - almost cut myself/tore my swimsuit. Showers had no hot water - had to go to the 3rd floor to use the unisex (that's right - unisex) shower area.

I'm deeply unhappy about the service I received. When I commented on it, the Customer Rep at the counter was more defensive than apologetic.

Elmwood used to be great, but they're obviously starting to let the place go to hell. And these are the people who gave me so much grief because I needed to make a last minute change to my appointment due to a work emergency.

Will be switching spas.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank droid_girl
ElmwoodSpa, Manager at Elmwood Spa, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you droid_girl for your feedback.

We are sorry to hear about your experience with the hot tub and shower areas. We do our best to ensure that our water facilities are safe and well maintained for our guests’ enjoyment. Our property manager has inspected the shower areas and it appears to be functioning as intended. As a precaution he’s assigned someone to check on the area more often. We will continue to investigate and inspect the hot tub, though we did not see any missing tiles this morning.

Regarding last minute changes to appointments: we do request our guests to provide 48 hour notice for cancellations or changes as we do have to set aside time for an RMT and/or aesthetician to perform the service. A last minute change or cancellation means that guests who may have wanted to book in the same time slot were unable to.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.
Toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great facial...water therapies anything but relaxing.”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I am a regular visitor of the Elmwood Spa and I recently visited the Elmwood Spa for an Elmline Facial. Although the facial was excellent, the water therapies were anything but relaxing. I have found that over the last year or so the noise level in the water therapies has significantly increased from talking to loud talking to most recently, yelling. The noise level has reached a volume that I don't beleive is acceptable for a spa setting. I understand that a spa can get very busy but this is the only spa that I've been to where that kind of noise is tolerated by staff. I find that in other spas, staff will actually approach you and ask for you to whisper. If you are looking for a peacful and quiet space, this is not the right venue. I'm disappointed to say that, but I have now experienced that on so many different occasions that I felt the need to write a review about it.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank ak29
ElmwoodSpa, Manager at Elmwood Spa, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback ak29 and we’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your facial.

We do our best to ensure that noise is kept to minimum in Water Therapies and that guests are considerate of others during their spa visit. Our managers and guest service representatives do remind guests about using a “spa voice” but unfortunately we cannot control noise levels at all times. We also have signage in place to remind guests about noise levels.

We will look into additional ways to control noise level in the Water Therapies area.

Thank you again for your comments.
Toronto, Canada
“From a great first visit to a terrible second one.”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Usually great experience however last massage visit my massage therapist was chewing gum and constantly sniffling (made it difficult to relax). I wouldn't recommend the aromatherapy massage as my skin broke out after it from the oil something that has NEVR happened. Also wasn't impressed when the front desk, who confirmed my friend was booked for an RMT massage told her she actually wasn't.. So much for using benefits :s

Guess it really depends who is working the day you go.

Visited October 2013
ElmwoodSpa, Manager at Elmwood Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback though we are sorry it is under these circumstances. Gum chewing during a service is unacceptable and the RMT involved has been spoken with. We sincerely apologize for this.

We understand that your friend requested an RMT for her massage and was mistakenly booked with an aesthetician. We have attempted to contact your friend to inform her that we are not charging her for this massage, as this was an error made by our contact centre. We are waiting to hear back from her.

As for the aromatherapy massage, this is the first time we have heard of someone having a reaction and it is possible that you had an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the oil. There is a blend in each aromatherapy oil.

We hope to welcome you back to Elmwood Spa so that we have an opportunity to provide the excellent service we pride ourselves on.