“Delicious”

Caplansky's Deli
Ranked #623 of 8,432 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Ottawa, Canada
“Delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

I don't understand bad reviews. I had nothing but a great experience when I visited! The smoked meat sandwich was to die for and the service was super efficient. Don't listen to naysayers: this is a great place to check out if you love delicious food and great service

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Taylor P

Toronto, Canada
“CLEASEENESS REQUIRED!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

We went Sunday around 4pm company with a kids...Food is OK ...smoke meat poutine had a great gravy, but french fries was cold and dark, overcooked in a very old oil (you have taste of dirty oil), cheese curds did not melt.
Kishka was perfect, taste like homemade.
A lot of deserts on menu, but in a front fridge only some OLD AND DRY 2-3 pieces of cake.
MAIN CONCERN of this RESTAURANT IS CLEANLINESS....WASHROOM IS STICKY AND DIRTY. HAS A VERY STRONG SMELL OF URINE.
I do not know how city of Toronto gave a GREEN PASS for this restaurant.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank Roman K
“It's OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

This place has been hyped on a couple of food shows. That's the problem. This place is ok but hardly knock your socks off good. A buddy and I tried it on a beautiful afternoon on the patio . The service was efficient. They put up their own meats.We tried the smoked meat and the corned beef . They were just ok. The corned beef was bland and the smoked meat lacked bite. Some speck might have helped but alas none was to be had. Sides were ok. The search for a killer deli in Toronto continues. Beware of Triple D and You've got to Eat Here.

1 Thank Ian O
Toronto, Canada
“Disappointing - Poor Food and servcie”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

I had read good reviews about this restaurant and finally decided to try it out. You will have to park on the street and parking in that area is $2.25 an hour.

The decor is unappealing - think greasy-spoon deli. We were seated right away. The seating is very close together and uncomfortable, especially when they seat a stranger only a few inches away. We placed our order: Fat Sams Grand Slam for $18.00 (a variety of deli meats on rye) and the Special breakfast for $11.00 (3 eggs with smoked meat bacon, toast, latkes, apple sauce).

We waited and waited at least 40 minutes for our order, wondering if they forgot about us. The waitress disappeared and never came by to explain the delay. Finally, our food arrived and it was disappointing. I went to this restaurant specifically for the smoked meat, and unfortunately, it did not meet my expectations. It was dry, smoky, and lacking in flavour and texture. All of the meats tasted the same. I have eaten at all the highly rated Montreal smoked meat restaurants, so I know what it should taste like. The portions were small for the money. I was expecting a large platter of smoked meat, but it was small sandwich piled high with meat, but definitely not as big as I have had elsewhere. It did not come with fries, coleslaw, or more bread. It should have cost about $9.00, not $18.00!! My wife wasn't impressed with the breakfast either. Overall, we were disappointed in the food, ambiance, and slow service. We will not return. Much better smoked meat can be had at Pancers Deli or even the Pickle Barrel.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank StarDeluxe
Newmarket, Canada
“Just Blew Guy F's credibility!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Total disappointment!
Everything was loaded with too much pepper ie chopped liver, Latkas, kishka gravy, poutine. They offer lean Med & fatty smoked meat but had only lean. My Foodie sister and I were tasting so we shared a fried salami and a smoked meat sandwiches, the salami was cut unevenly and the sandwich was sliced not in half, but 1/3 to 2/3rds how can you share that? Cabbage borsht WAY TOO sweet! not gonna go back. The only good thing was the deserts, good however, not great. About the only good thing was the service, but even that was just good. It was too embarrassing to even leave a comment card. I'd go to Centre St.Deli, Pancers' Katzs' Shopsy's on the esplanade, the deli counter at Metro and even Wolfies on Wilson, before I'd spend money at Collage & Brunswick again!
I didn't mention the Smoked Meat because it wasn't memorable. Shane had better get his shlitz in order, cause what I hear is that if he's not there, it's not done right- I might even write Guy at D,D & D-In's and question his taste in food, cuz if he raves about the crap we were served, he can stuff all the places he recommends up his convertibles tail pipe!

The best thing I can say is "I've been and I never haft' to go back!

Sent from my iPhone