“Pretty mindblowing deli”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The smoked meat gravy is outstanding. It is more like a chili than a gravy. I had the knish, which was outstanding and had the gravy on it. I also had the smoked meat poutine, which had great fries, actual cheese curds, and the smoked meat gravy. I tried some of the mac and cheese with smoked meat. The mac and cheese sauce was great. It is peppery and is made with high quality cheese. I also was able to try the beef bacon. You should definitely get a side of this when you are there. You get a pretty good amount for $3. It was the best beef bacon I've had. It was smoky and delicious. When I am back in Toronto, this will be a must-have for me.

1  Thank ClevelandBeachBoy

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My wife and I had lunch at Caplansky's Deli a couple of days ago. Very good service. The smoked meat sandwich was one of the best I ever tasted. But we were disappointed with the matzo ball soup. It lacked flavor. In addition, I wasn't crazy about the bbq beef sandwich. The beef was tender but the bbq sauce tasted too much like tomatoes. We will go back we'll try something else on the menu.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The smoked meat sandwiches are unbelievable and you can buy some to take home as well. We also had the mac & cheese which was fantastic too.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I've been to Caplansky's a few times and have had the knish, the fried chicken and the smoke meat sandwich as well as their daily soups. Only the knish was not to my liking but I'm not a huge fan of them anyways.

I would highly recommend the fried chicken with veggies and garlic mash potatoes....outstanding but you better be hungry! I almost always get the smoked meat sandwich (I prefer the lean) and top it with their homemade super hot mustard. Very tasty and for me just the right amount of meat. The last time I was there I ordered the lean smoked meat but after a few bites it was obviously not lean but fatty. I asked the server if it was in fact lean and he said no but he would bring one right away. I told him it was okay since it was still good and I had already ate half but he insisted and the owner (Zane Caplansky) delivered it himself within minutes! I really appreciate good customer service these days. Oh and all the soups I've had there have been quite good especially the split pea with bacon. For me outside of Montreal this is the best I've had in Toronto but it's all personal preference. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stopped by this place to eat on a business trip in Toronto; had seen it on TV (Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives). It was good, but nothing too great. It's a nice enough atmosphere which has a patio which is great for outside seating.

A co-worker and I split the beef brisket sandwich & a kanish. Beef Brisket was good, but I've had better. I'm no kanish expert but it seemed average. It was solid, but Toronto has better dining options.

Highlight: the maple bacon donuts. WOW.....delicious. If you go and have room for desert, do yourself a favor and try them out. They come as 3 small donuts so they don't fill you up too much and it's well worth it. The best part of our meal.