“We enjoyed it”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Uxbridge
“We enjoyed it”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I have been wanting to try this place out for a while, so we decided to go for lunch Sunday afternoon. I started off by ordering some kishka. It's almost impossible to find a good one in Toronto anymore. It came with smoked meat gravy and some rye bread on the side. I thought it was really good. Nice size portion and the gravy was really tasty. I also ordered a smoked meat sandwich and my husband ordered a burger, with the smoked meat poutine on the side.

My sandwich was actually really small for the price they charge. I also found the meat to be a bit on the dry side. However, I tried Caplansky's Mild and Delicious mustard with it, and it really perked the sandwich up. I'll have to pick a bottle of it up to bring home next time we go. My husband really enjoyed both his burger (which came with beef bacon) and the poutine. I tried the poutine and found the fries nice and crisp, and again, the gravy was super tasty.

Our server was very friendly and she let us pick where we wanted to sit.

We plan on returning, perhaps to try breakfast next time.

toronto
“Evening visit”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I went with my family . We were 7 people and most of us had the smoked meat special.. We were served in batches. The fries came first and were cold when some of the sandwiches arrived. The medium was very fat and the lean was totally dried out. Also the meat was not hot. I find the sandwich too small for the price. Service was poor. No sign of the owner. This was my third visit and i will not return.

• Visited August 2013
“The best smoked meat in Toronto.”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I heard great things about this place and was not let down. They served me the single best mashed potatoes I have ever had. EVER! The second best smoked meat in the country. You can really taste the smoke. I recommend serving smoked meat by the plate with a side of bread. Don't miss out on this great deli.

stevel71
“Great Burger At This Deli Who Knew!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I decided to try Caplansky’s on the recommendation of a friend who is a huge foodie. My friend recommended the Caplansky burger and I must confess it is one of the best burgers I ever had. The combination of 70% ground beef and 30% ground smoked meat made for a patty that was nicely seasoned, tender and juicy. Since I had my burger with cheese and bacon I’ll add the bacon was cooked to perfection and cut nice and thick. I also had the smoked meat poutine. The fries are hand cut and are good, not Quebec fry stand good but, better than any frozen fry that most Ontarian establishments like to serve. The smoked meat gravy is too die for and they use real cheese curds. The deserts looked amazing. Usually, my family and I never order desert but we all did on this night. The maple bacon donuts (three Tim Bits essentially) are a must try. It was oh so good. The lemon square was brilliant; the chocolate cake was amazing especially if you like dark chocolate, and the chocolate bread pudding as tasty. The service was really good on this night. (Sunday at 7pm)
The only negative for me was I saw the size of the smoke meat sandwiches and they looked extremely small and the smoked meat was cut too thick for my liking. I can’t comment on the taste but, judging from what we ate I’m sure it would it would be very good. If you like Schwartz’s in Montreal which in my opinion is the best smoke meat around you may come away a little disappointed. But this comment is solely made on appearance. Like pizza there are many variations from Chicago deep dish, NY style, Greek style, and Lebanese style, pepperoni on top of the cheese, under the cheese and I’m sure Zane’s vision of a smoked meat sandwich is very good.
Finally I thought the service was great. Our server was very helpful and knowledgeable. We waited about 15 min for our food which in my opinion totally acceptable. I was impressed with how the staff handled a very rude customer. This customer came in right after us and ordered the smoked meat sandwich, when he saw the size of it and how it was cut he started complaining to his partner, loudly I might add, the server went right away and apologized profusely . The fries came no more than three minutes after his sandwich and she offered him a free desert. The server while passing buy asks the gentlemen how the taste of the meat was, he responded very abruptly, with “average at best”. Finally the guy prepping the sandwiches comes out from behind the counter and asks the patron what’s wrong, essentially the answer was this is not Schwartz’s to which the guy says “yeah it’s Toronto style” and walks away.
All in all I like this place. The food was really good and the service excellent. If Schwartz’s is your bench mark of what a smoked meat sandwich should be than may I suggest one of the best burgers you’ll ever have, the Caplanky burger. You will not be disappointed.

Toronto
“Great place for house prepared meats”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I went to Caplansky's for lunch with my wife. It was shortly after opening time and they were not very busy. The smell wafting through the restaurant was fantastic. It reminded me of being in New Orleans and having the great smell of spices filling the air. I ordered a beef brisket sandwich and my wife had a breakfast beef hash with eggs, and we also shared a poutine with meat. The prices were very reasonable and the portions were appropriate relative to the price. The sandwich was very good. It's very satisfying to have quality house prepared meat in a sandwich rather than some pre packaged processed stuff. My wife enjoyed her hash as well. The poutine was also very good with the house meat inside it. The service is very laid back but friendly enough. My only issue was with the apparent cleanliness of the tables. It would appear that they receive a minimal wiping with a bit of water because they were extremely sticky. Since our dine in experience was satisfying I also ordered a tongue sandwich to go when leaving. That was also very good when I got around to eating it and would probably have been even better had I eaten it fresh. We certainly expect to go to Caplansky's again.

• Visited July 2013