“we'll eat here again and bring friends”
Review of Caplansky's Deli

Caplansky's Deli
Ranked #707 of 8,897 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My mom and I came from Brampton to sample the menu that has been featured on several food network shows. We were first impressed by the dessert take-out choices and presentation of free water. to start we had the deep fried pickles (HEAVY garlic btw), mom had the liver and onions (phenomenonal...esp. the onions). I had the maple dipped fried chicken (epic, smoky maple syrup). Bonus points for merchandise available.

1  Thank psychoflop

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Went there on Sunday for lunch at quarter to one, waited for about 15 minutes for a table. The place was busy. The servers were friendly but the food took 25 minutes to come out. We ordered a smoked meat sandwich, a pickled tongue sandwich, a kishke, borscht and matzo ball soup.

I liked the picked tongue the best. The meat was very tender and tasty. Otherwise, I didn't think the smoked meat was special. The bread taste store bought. The borscht was too sweat and the matzo ball was bland. The kishke came with a smoked meat sauce which was finely chopped smoked meat floating in oil.

The sandwiches were kind of small, don't expect a big pile of meat. In this day and age, most people are watching how much they eat so this perhaps is a good thing, maybe they should sell the sandwiches by weight and give the diners options on the portion.

1  Thank clemc
Reviewed May 29, 2013

It was a cute little deli, but the food wasn't especially exciting. We did love the maple, bacon donut holes though. Would go back for those, but not necessarily for the other food. Service was good. Everyone was friendly.

1  Thank Debby R
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I ordered a smoked meat sandwich combo platter that came with a cup of cabbage borscht and coleslaw. The food was ok - smoked meat was alright, borscht was a bit sweet for my liking, but for what you are paying for the sandwich combo I didn't find it to be a great value. $13 to me seems a bit steep for a small sandwich, a cup of borscht, a pickle wedge and a side of slaw that was served in one of those baby plastic cups that you get samples in at Costco. Don't get me wrong - I don't need more food than that. It's a good lunch size. But it's a bit steep for what you're getting.

I don't feel the need to return anytime soon. And it's definitely not as good as Schwartz's in Montreal.

1  Thank skettyroad
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Arrived at 9:30 pm on a Friday eve & a little anxious about the 10 pm close as advertised - no need as the staff was more than welcoming - no rushing us out or cleaning up around us as we ate. 5 star service with lots of suggestions from our waiter including a taste tester for the "tongue" at the end of our meal. The smoked meat was generous with definitely Caplansky's own twist of spices - yummy but found it did overwhelm the traditional taste. The knish was great with a smoked meat gravy to dip their amazing fries - def would return - ps - the tongue was melt in your mouth - our daughter raved.

1  Thank SL15