“Goooood Smoked Meat!”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I loved Caplansky's! Mind you, I've never been to Montreal to have real Montreal Smoked Meat, but I thought this place was pretty tasty! I had the lean cut smoked meat sandwich and matzo ball soup. The meat is not chewy - just tender and melt-in-your-mouth good! Their bacon doughnuts for dessert weren't bad either ;) Love it. Would certainly go back for more!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

ate here for the first time, the food was good, the service good, prices reasonable, I had the borscht soup, and smoked meat on rye. soup was too sweet..the sandwich was good but there are others just as good in toronto.(try Jody's deli warden/eglinton), certainly is not Swartz's or the Main in Montreal.

I'm curious how this place came to be one of Guy Feiris 4 stops in Toronto when there were others definetly more worthy like california sandwiches..oh gee maybe it had something to do with Blane the owner being on another food network show...cupcakes?

sadly the knish I saw being served was nowhere the size shown on triple D..as a matter fact I'd describe it as chincy!no reason to hurry baclk ...place is just average!

1  Thank thephoenixrisesagain
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Having read everything about this place, it was one of the things on my Bucket List To Do.
Now I feel bad that I went to try out this place. Boy I really feel sorry for the people in Toronto.
Any of these people that gave this place a rave review, really don't know what they are talking about. The small, very small portion of smoked meat lacked any taste. This place isn't even in
the top 5 smoked meat places between Montreal & New York City. Your over priced french fries,
which are not home made and had all burnt ends. We also decided to try out a Jewish dish, Liver and Onions. I'm not sure if you guys are just opening a can of Liver and Onions, but it
seemed that way. I wish Zane the owner would go to Schwartz's in Montreal or to Katz's Deli
in New York City, to see what a real smoked meat sandwich should look like and taste like.

2  Thank MAINENERGY
Reviewed April 25, 2013

So, originally being from the US, my husband and I have been searching for something, anything with the taste and texture of a good corned beef sandwich. We've been very disappointed with the "Montreal Smoked Meat" impersonators in Ontario. My mom saw Caplansky's on some Food Network show and was convinced it was our place. And it was! The smoked meat here is SO good. Has a different taste than corned beef but the texture is perfect. They even asked if we wanted the meat cut from the lean or fat....duh! THE FAT...it was delicious!! Definitely stop in to try them out if you get a chance.
AND it even came with mustard and a pickle!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

After having seen Guy Fieri from Diners, Drive-ins and Dives visit Caplansky's Deli in Toronto, I was very intrigued to check it out. So my husband and I decided to stop in for a late lunch to see if the food was as good as it looked on TV. Well let me tell you, it was FANTASTIC. We decided to split the Smoked Meat Sandwich combo (which included coleslaw, fries and pickle) and the Kinish. The Smoked Meat was delicious. I am a huge fan of Schwartz's Deli in Montreal. In my opinion, it's an institution. I have gladly waiting 30 minutes in the cold March rain to get a seat in the small diner to enjoy a sandwich. The Smoked Meat at Caplansky's is Toronto's branch of Schwartz (not really, but I consider it to be). The fries were handcut shoestring and were very nice. The Kinish was equally good. A great spice and lots of gravy. Jewish comfort food. Everything was so delicious, we just had to try the dessert. Hubby had the lemon square which was very lemony. I went for one of my comfort food favourites-bread pudding. Chocolate bread pudding. I was in heaven. I savoured each bite wishing it was an endless piece. With soft drinks and coffee, our total bill came to just over $40. I can't wait to go back and take the boys. There is a typical kids menu which I know my picky eaters will be happy to order from.

1  Thank knitaholicGTA