“Caplansky's Deli”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Attempted take off on Schwartz in Montreal, equally good smoked meat, but they serve it with some fat in Montreal so it is moist and delicoius. Make sure you don't get the lean cut! (dry and not worth it). Macaroni dish is huge and very good and cheesy, odd but I highly recommend it over the smoked meat!

1  Thank Auchkie
There are newer reviews for Caplansky's Deli

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I had a delightful time at Caplansky's Deli, I cannot tell you enough how impressed I was, but I will give it a go anyways. I was promptly greeted by friendly staff that sat me a table. There is a station that a chef (cook) makes all the smoked meat sandwiches in the middle of the restaurant beside a diner style set-up that gives a classic feel to Caplansky's. The success of Caplansky's can be seen by all the local awards from papers and magazine articles strewn on the wall. It definitely gives the place cred! I ordered up the Fresser and I was not disappointed, it was a massive one pound heaping serving of smoked meat awesomeness!! I was equally impressed by the selection of mustards available at each table. There is five mustards to enjoy, from spicy to sweet. There is something for everyone. What impressed me the most about Caplansky's is that I purposefully went to a competitor earlier in the week (Katz' Deli, which is not on TA!) to try and have a reasonable comparison of quality. Caplansky's smokes, yes smokes, Katz's Deli and taste, texture and quality. That said you are paying for the extra quality, but it is worth the extra dough for this quality. Nice is also the fact there is the opportunity to take smoked meat, mustards and Caplansky merchandise home. The service was so friendly and prompt that I had to for sure bump up my rating to a five. I would recommend that if you are heading anywhere near downtown/Chinatown/little Italy, be sure to add Caplansky's to your "must-eats" places. You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed July 28, 2012

I went on a weekday afternoon - a bit after the normal lunch hour. The waiter was pleasant and the food arrived quickly. I ordered the smoked meat sandwich and latkes. The meat in the sandwich was tasty and not dry. The latkes were fresh hot and nicely golden brown. Basically it was what I expected from a deli.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

The decor doesn't really scream "fine dining", but lets face it, you purpose of going to a deli was to get a belly full of meat. The service was good. During my visit, a lovely lady clearly explained some of the obscure Jewish cuisine on the menu. The food arrived very quickly and there were no mistakes.

The food itself could best be described as "plentiful"! My appetizer of "deep fried pickles" was quite tasty and big enough to satisfy a table of 5 adults. My entree was the "BBQ beef brisket". The beef was nice and tender, with a delicious BBQ sauce to compliment it, and there was enough food on my plate to feed a small village. My mashed potatoes were as good as they get - made with real potatoes of course. People in my party also ordered the fantastic "Caplansky burger", a less exciting corned beef sandwich, and a side order of tasty fries.

There was a variety of cakes located in one of the deli counters, which looked inviting, although I can't imagine how anyone can have room for dessert after the massive meals we received.

Caplansky got the better of me on this visit, but I'll be skipping breakfast and lunch before I go to this place again, and I WILL finish next time!

To sum it up: Great value, especially if you are starving.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

As a former Montrealer, I've been meaning to try Caplansky's for years. I had read numerous glowing reviews of the smoked meat. We went on a Wednesday evening, the place was quiet - patio was half full and inside was empty.

My first red flag was the general lack of cleanliness. The floor inside the restaurant was filthy and there was clutter everywhere. Never a good thing in a food service establishment.

On to the meal. We ordered smoked meat sandwiches, large Greek salad, fries, chicken soup and mac & cheese. Servers were friendly.

Unfortunately, the pace and order of the food being delivered to the table made no sense. The salad came out first, with no serving utensils and saucers instead of plates. Before we even had a chance to begin eating it, the soups came to the table, followed immediately by the fries. A couple of minutes later we got the sandwiches, shortly followed by the mac & cheese. Some would say I'm being picky here, but to me, this is a key component of restaurant dining - bringing food in a pace that makes the experience enjoyable rather than stressfully having to juggle a bunch of dishes at the same time.

As for the food itself, the raison d'etre of any restaurant, we were very disappointed. The chicken soup was almost flavourless, the matzo balls were fine. As a chicken soup make myself, it was apparent the issue with the soup was in the chicken to vegetable to water ratio - too much water and not nearly enough of the good stuff. The fries and mac & cheese were very good, so there's that. But the smoked meat? Oy vay. Salty, tough, and very unsatisfying. I wasn't expecting Schwartz's, but I was hoping for something better than Centre Street Deli. I'd fight 60 minutes of traffic to Thornhill over the 15 to Caplansky's any day.

Sorry, Zane, it pains me to say it, but there is a lot of work to be done to bring Caplansky's to the level we (and you) expect.