“Okay zoo” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 500 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Toronto Zoo is a living centre for education and science, committed to providing compelling guest experiences and inspiring passion to protect wildlife and habitats. Did you know that your admission into Canada's premier Zoo helps support the over 5,000 animals? In addition to having award-winning outdoor and indoor exhibits, education programs, special events, daily Keeper Talks and the Discovery Zone*, the Toronto Zoo is home to Canada's only giant pandas! Don't forget to visit with Da Mao, Er Shun and her dynamic cubs-Jia Panpan and Jia Yeuyeu-before they depart March 2018. To help plan your day please visit our website and we look forward to seeing you very soon! *Seasonal schedules apply. Special events subject to change without notice.
Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Okay zoo”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I wouldn't say we have the best zoo around. The enclosures are a bit smaller than other North American zoos and could be improved to host a larger variety of animals.

Visited August 2012

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Awesome day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This zoo is a great day for the kids. Wear proper foot wear for lots of walking. There is a wide variety of exhibits to view here. The cost is not too bad considering the amount of entertainment for the kids.

Visited April 2012
Ottawa, Canada
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Toronto Zoo in Winter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I took my tween and teen to the Toronto Zoo. It was a cold day for March, with snow in the air. They had a blast though, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing what animals were out. (Polar Bears and Otters were very entertaining.) They enjoyed every minute of our visit The walking was good, as it helped burn off energy. The indoor areas were a welcome respite from the cold air.
The zoo has a snack cart of Beaver Tails which they were thrilled to see and each bought their own pastry at the end of our visit.
Since it was winter, I had hoped the entrance fees would have been reduced.14 years of age and up pay adult fees. There were not a lot of animals to see, and many were sleeping.

Visited March 2013
Holyoke, Massachusetts, United States
“Way too spread out and the animals seemed so sad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

My exboyfriend and I went to Toronto on vacation last summer and I was extremely excited to visit the Toronto Zoo. I'm from Providence, RI and I love our zoo (Roger Williams), so I guess I was thinking all zoos would be pretty amazing. Well, I was wrong. First of all, the zoo is crazily spread out and convoluted. It was very difficult to find your way around, and more than once we realized we were inadvertently backtracking. But the thing that really bothered me was the depressed state of the animals and the small size of their enclosures. The only animals that seemed to have adequate space were the zebras and other animals in that area. The elephants didn't seem to have any shade, they had CHAINS on their feet, and they looked miserable. They just stood there like statues, looking sad. The giraffes clustered at the back of their little field with their backs to everyone. There was a monkey in basically a plastic cage that seemed so depressed that I actually cried. He was digging around the dirt looking like he had no purpose in life and occasionally looking sadly at the people staring at him. The young white lions seemed ok, but again, their enclosure was way too small. Some exhibits were closed and there was a small discount for this, but the price is still astronomical. Thank god we brought our own lunch.

I understand that any animal in a zoo will have a life less interesting, natural and happy than one in the wild, but the zoo I grew up going to is way better. The elephants and giraffes come right up to the edge of the enclosure and seem to genuinely enjoy their visits. The monkeys are constantly swinging around, howling and playing. The only big cat there is a snow leopard and while his enclosure is kind of small, it's very naturally set up and he has so many hiding places that he's never seen, which is perfect, because he doesn't want to be seen.

In short, this zoo needs some work and I was depressed after my visit. I would not go back.

Visited August 2012
Adrian, Michigan
562 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 822 helpful votes
“One of the better zoos I`ve been to”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place is located a bit on the outskirts of Toronto but it is easily reachable by car from downtown. This zoo was one of the better kept facilities to which I have been. The animals all appear to have very good care and the holding areas seem to be quite comfortable for them in addition to providing good viewing opportunities for the humans. This is a good place for a family day. The variety of animals on display is also up to par with other like zoos.