“Beautiful”

Ranked #15 of 501 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Canada's majestic castle and Toronto’s premier historic attraction. In 1911, Sir Henry Pellatt engaged noted architect E.J. Lennox to help him realize a lifelong dream,the creation of an Edwardian castle on the top of a hill overlooking Toronto. It took 300 men nearly three years to complete the nearly to 200,000 square foot castle at a cost $3,500,000 (at the time). Situated on 5 acres, Casa Loma was the largest private residence in Canada. Sir Henry Pellatt with his wife Lady Mary enjoyed Casa Loma for less than ten years before financial misfortune forced him to abandon his home. The tour of the castle is self-guided. Visitors can experience the castle at their leisure with the aid of multimedia audio guides.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Montreal, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Beautiful house turned into a museum by the city in order to afford its upkeep. Great antiques and stories. Just a bit sad as this belonged to a family that is now all gone.

Visited January 2013

• Turkish first
San Francisco, California
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Outside Better Than Inside”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Casa Loma as we had CityPass Toronto tickets. Walking to the castle was awesome, and it looked very picturesque as there was snow on the the roof and grounds. Once we were inside, I was ready to leave after 30 minutes. We toured the castle and I quickly lost interest as everything I saw was redundant. After the saw the 8th bedroom, I stopped listening to guided tour as each description was approx 5 minute long, but you could view what you were hearing about in approx 1 minute, so that became annoying.

The treats inside of the castle was the underground tunnel, the bathroom, and the conservatory which we couldn't gain access to because of a private function. Other than that, I was not stimulated as much as I thought I would be. All I could think about was wanting to go outside and capture the castle/grounds.

If it wasn't for the delicious food in the cafe and the free wifi, I probably would have marked this "Poor." I think it's one of those attractions that you have to see once to say you've been there... For that reason, and that reason alone, I recommend everyone go see it.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Maddindividual
Toronto, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Nice Castle in the City”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Nice Castle but is very pricey($22.55) for an adult. It would be a good idea to purchase the Toronto CityPass($61.50) and also see The CN Tower, Ontario Science Centre, Royal Ontario Museum and Toronto Zoo. Lots of History in the building with the upper floors set up with displays of original 1900 memorabilia. Kind of cool and creepy to go all the way to the very top of the Castle. Summer visitors would get to tour the magnificent gardens.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank dontfalldown
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

The place is well maintained and interesting. I loved the garden, one of the best I have seen in such setting. Make sure you look at all the artifacts and buy a thing or two from the gift shop, I did.

Visited August 2013
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Ok...”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I was not particularly amazed by the casa loma, it seems a bit expensive for what it is.
I liked the view of the city from there though.

Visited September 2013