“Decent for the price, service could use some work.”

Ryerson University - Pitman Hall Residence
Ranked #95 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I stayed with my brother for 4 nights here. The room was certainly bigger than I expected, but I've never been in a dorm before.

The room wasn't sparkling clean, we even found an open bag of nacho chips in one of the cupboard (but by the looks of it they'd only been there a day or two at most). That didn't really bother me, as there were no bugs or stains in sight. There was some noise from some kind of construction/renovation happening on the floor above, but it always started late in the morning and stopped early in the evening.

My only real problem was that although they'll advertise that they have rooms for multiple occupants, they only allow 1 key per room, and as my brother and I were doing our own separate things all day, I had to hold onto the key and run back when he needed to get into the room. Another little thing is that while they did have a decent sized closet, they didn't include any hangers, not even a couple cheap wire ones. Also, while not a real problem, I was a bit annoyed that they only had one internet outlet, and it was in the bedroom, not the living room that had a proper desk.

The continental breakfast was okay I guess, but every time I went they had all jelly and no peanut butter, and the one time they did, the toaster stopped working, so I couldn't thaw the partially frozen bread. The fruit was fresh tough, along with the juice and pastries.

Overall, the room itself wasn't bad, it was mostly the 1-key-per-room thing that really bugged me. Due the the location and price, I'd still come here again, but maybe with a travel buddy rather than just someone to split the bill with.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Zonglars

Reviewed August 4, 2009

great service, very friendly staff , the rooms are very comfortable (considering the price), and above all EXCELLENT LOCATION. it's very safe as it is part of the Ryerson University campus. i would def stay there again when im in Toronto

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Vacationista86
Reviewed August 3, 2009

My stay at the Ryerson was very relaxing and comfortable. Granted it's not a 5 star hotel, however, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and the bed was very comfortable! There is a Metro supermarket across the street and it is a short walk to Eaton Center Mall. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank mypet
Reviewed December 6, 2007

I didn't expect too much since I knew this is a budget/economy hotel, but the staff there were so not professional. Checked me in a room where someone else is still sleeping on the bed, and gave me grill cheese while I ordered a burger. The hallways are so dark and dirty. I could stay in some other better places at the same price.

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank KLeeUK
Reviewed September 21, 2007

Stayed here for 4 nights in August. The room was dead on, as was the bathroom. Had a sofa and tv too.

Breakfast was included in the deal, and there was free internet in the lobby.

A less than 5 minutes walk brought you to the Eaton Centre on Yonge Street.

Overall, if you are looking for clean and cheap accomodation in Toronto I would definately recommend Ryerson.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank p13
Reviewed July 3, 2007

This is by far the best deal you can get in downtown Toronto. My friends and I booked a four-room suite which had four little dorm rooms, two bathrooms (4-piece and 2-piece), kitchen and sitting area for only $89 a night -- for the whole thing!

Let's be realistic here, this isn't a four-star hotel, and nor should you expect it to be. What you can expect is a clean, quiet, secure place to stay in the middle of downtown Toronto.

There is a 24-hour grocery store a block away, but if you need any extras such as a hair dryer or an iron, you'd best to bring them yourself.

This time I stayed at Pitman Hall and the year before I stayed at the ILLC (they're across the street from each other) and both were fine.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank plstccstl
Reviewed May 4, 2007

I love Toronto and have been trying to find economical alternatives to hotels since I began going there. Ryerson was NOT all i expected - small room with a regular bed, pullout, desk, closet-type unit, dresser, tv, bath, phone, but everything was so tightly packed into the room that when the pullout was out there was really no walking or standing room. Items weren't new but decent. Bath tub/shower needed unclogging (water gathered when i showered), but this is a dorm type facility that maintenance probably hadn't gotten around to yet, but it was a great deal. Hated the fact that there was no pool and only 1 computer in the lobby. Food was decent. Safe deposit box at desk came in handy. The location makes up for everything though. We walked to eaton, subway, buses, etc. It's at the heart of everything. Bad side...not close to beach and you have to pay fee to use the campus pool/rec center.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SONJANITA M