Ryerson University - Pitman Hall Residence
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewscommon roomyogurtcommon areasfree wifitelephonetowelsdowntownpillows
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We spent three nights at the ILLC. The room was small but clean and the staff was very friendly. We were able to park our car in the building garage for an extra $13 a night. The location was excellent, a few blocks from Dundas Square. It's not fancy but it is a great value for downtown Toronto.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We just arrived home after a fantastic trip to Toronto. My family of 2 adults and 2 kids, along with a friends family of the same stayed at the ILLC. Each family had a room with a pullout sofa bed, which were not as uncomfortable for me, or the kids, as others had mentioned- a sound nights sleep for the one or two nights I was in it. The room itself was smallish but was laid out efficiently to store the far too many clothes that were brought, bathroom was perfect with nice shower to cool down after a day in the Toronto heat. Each floor had a common room with a few sofas and a kitchen area, where we cooked on a couple of occasions and got pizza pizza in on another. The air conditioning wasn't working properly here, but sweating was probably our own fault for not mentioning it to staff until checking out.
Staff were very friendly and courteous. One girl behind the desk helped me connect my android device to the free wi-fi network on the ground floor (also available in the common room)
Breakfast was very good, orange juice, choice of 3 cereals, fruit, yoghurt, toast, hash brown, scrambled egg, bacon and sausages.
Finally, as everyone else has mentioned, we were able to walk to loads of Toronto attractions from here and 24 hour shop out front on Jarvis and an even bigger one out the back on Mutual meant that we were never short of necessities.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank niall c
Reviewed July 3, 2012

There are two very different locations - I've stayed at both for different reasons

Pitman Hall 160 Mutual St - single room with a single bed and a desk - no restroom/bathroom in your room. Shared bathroom and shared private shower/tub. The mattress is very basic and very hard, not the most comfortable. They have extremely restrictive rules about having visitors to your room, and no one permitted past 11pm into your room. Breakfast is basic but ok. Location and price is fantastic - a couple of blocks east of the Eaton Centre is the primary attraction to this location.

International Living Centre 240 Jarvis St - Queen Sized Bed - some include sofabed(which is useless since the mattress is worse then Pitman hall - I couldn't sleep on the mattress without having pain throughout my body. I had to sleep on the cushions from the sofa bed on the mattress which was challenging) I mentioned it to the front desk at checkout, and the young woman laughed at me. The room is better then Pitman Hall, includes private bathroom/restroom with shower. Still with restrictive access at night though, no guest access after 11pm. Breakfast is good. There is a TV in these room.

Both have common rooms with a TV, fridge and stove.

If you find a hotel at a similar price and location, I would recommend to choose the hotel over either of these locations as the reduced flexibility and improved customer service would be a better experience for most.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank JoeMCanada
Reviewed May 22, 2011

we stayed at the residence for 3 weeks for a study tour. The hotel was quite pricey it was like paying for a 5 star hotel. The staff were lovely and accommodating and so were the cleaners. but our room was quite disappointing, the rooms had a stench, our room had a toilet that always smelt like urine. Cleaners would cover up the stench with a deodorizer but comes back after a few hours. The location is brilliant, close to Eaton centre and the CBD. overall it didn't affect our stay, just a few minor flaws. We stayed a year ago, so things could be different

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I stayed with my brother for 4 nights here. The room was certainly bigger than I expected, but I've never been in a dorm before.

The room wasn't sparkling clean, we even found an open bag of nacho chips in one of the cupboard (but by the looks of it they'd only been there a day or two at most). That didn't really bother me, as there were no bugs or stains in sight. There was some noise from some kind of construction/renovation happening on the floor above, but it always started late in the morning and stopped early in the evening.

My only real problem was that although they'll advertise that they have rooms for multiple occupants, they only allow 1 key per room, and as my brother and I were doing our own separate things all day, I had to hold onto the key and run back when he needed to get into the room. Another little thing is that while they did have a decent sized closet, they didn't include any hangers, not even a couple cheap wire ones. Also, while not a real problem, I was a bit annoyed that they only had one internet outlet, and it was in the bedroom, not the living room that had a proper desk.

The continental breakfast was okay I guess, but every time I went they had all jelly and no peanut butter, and the one time they did, the toaster stopped working, so I couldn't thaw the partially frozen bread. The fruit was fresh tough, along with the juice and pastries.

Overall, the room itself wasn't bad, it was mostly the 1-key-per-room thing that really bugged me. Due the the location and price, I'd still come here again, but maybe with a travel buddy rather than just someone to split the bill with.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends