“2 Very Different Locations - Pitman Hall and International Living Centre” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ryerson Student Residence

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Toronto
Ryerson Student Residence
You added Ryerson Student Residence to your Saves list
160 Mutual St., Toronto, Ontario M5B 2M2, Canada (Downtown)   |
Ranked #91 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
London, Ontario
“2 Very Different Locations - Pitman Hall and International Living Centre”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

There are two very different locations - I've stayed at both for different reasons

Pitman Hall 160 Mutual St - single room with a single bed and a desk - no restroom/bathroom in your room. Shared bathroom and shared private shower/tub. The mattress is very basic and very hard, not the most comfortable. They have extremely restrictive rules about having visitors to your room, and no one permitted past 11pm into your room. Breakfast is basic but ok. Location and price is fantastic - a couple of blocks east of the Eaton Centre is the primary attraction to this location.

International Living Centre 240 Jarvis St - Queen Sized Bed - some include sofabed(which is useless since the mattress is worse then Pitman hall - I couldn't sleep on the mattress without having pain throughout my body. I had to sleep on the cushions from the sofa bed on the mattress which was challenging) I mentioned it to the front desk at checkout, and the young woman laughed at me. The room is better then Pitman Hall, includes private bathroom/restroom with shower. Still with restrictive access at night though, no guest access after 11pm. Breakfast is good. There is a TV in these room.

Both have common rooms with a TV, fridge and stove.

If you find a hotel at a similar price and location, I would recommend to choose the hotel over either of these locations as the reduced flexibility and improved customer service would be a better experience for most.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank JoeMCanada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

we stayed at the residence for 3 weeks for a study tour. The hotel was quite pricey it was like paying for a 5 star hotel. The staff were lovely and accommodating and so were the cleaners. but our room was quite disappointing, the rooms had a stench, our room had a toilet that always smelt like urine. Cleaners would cover up the stench with a deodorizer but comes back after a few hours. The location is brilliant, close to Eaton centre and the CBD. overall it didn't affect our stay, just a few minor flaws. We stayed a year ago, so things could be different

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I stayed with my brother for 4 nights here. The room was certainly bigger than I expected, but I've never been in a dorm before.

The room wasn't sparkling clean, we even found an open bag of nacho chips in one of the cupboard (but by the looks of it they'd only been there a day or two at most). That didn't really bother me, as there were no bugs or stains in sight. There was some noise from some kind of construction/renovation happening on the floor above, but it always started late in the morning and stopped early in the evening.

My only real problem was that although they'll advertise that they have rooms for multiple occupants, they only allow 1 key per room, and as my brother and I were doing our own separate things all day, I had to hold onto the key and run back when he needed to get into the room. Another little thing is that while they did have a decent sized closet, they didn't include any hangers, not even a couple cheap wire ones. Also, while not a real problem, I was a bit annoyed that they only had one internet outlet, and it was in the bedroom, not the living room that had a proper desk.

The continental breakfast was okay I guess, but every time I went they had all jelly and no peanut butter, and the one time they did, the toaster stopped working, so I couldn't thaw the partially frozen bread. The fruit was fresh tough, along with the juice and pastries.

Overall, the room itself wasn't bad, it was mostly the 1-key-per-room thing that really bugged me. Due the the location and price, I'd still come here again, but maybe with a travel buddy rather than just someone to split the bill with.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Zonglars
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

great service, very friendly staff , the rooms are very comfortable (considering the price), and above all EXCELLENT LOCATION. it's very safe as it is part of the Ryerson University campus. i would def stay there again when im in Toronto

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Vacationista86
Hong Kong or Orlando, Florida or London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

My stay at the Ryerson was very relaxing and comfortable. Granted it's not a 5 star hotel, however, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and the bed was very comfortable! There is a Metro supermarket across the street and it is a short walk to Eaton Center Mall. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank mypet
Manchester, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

I didn't expect too much since I knew this is a budget/economy hotel, but the staff there were so not professional. Checked me in a room where someone else is still sleeping on the bed, and gave me grill cheese while I ordered a burger. The hallways are so dark and dirty. I could stay in some other better places at the same price.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank KLeeUK
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

Stayed here for 4 nights in August. The room was dead on, as was the bathroom. Had a sofa and tv too.

Breakfast was included in the deal, and there was free internet in the lobby.

A less than 5 minutes walk brought you to the Eaton Centre on Yonge Street.

Overall, if you are looking for clean and cheap accomodation in Toronto I would definately recommend Ryerson.

• Liked — Location, value for money
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple