“Empty kitchen”

Ranked #48 of 101 Specialty Lodging in Toronto
Penang
“Empty kitchen”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

You book to stay in a college residence to save money so you lower your expectations and accept the "institutionalised" facilities. Still, Neill Wycik was advertised as allowing access to a kitchen and that made it attractive because I want to save on food. Alas, that was not to be. The kitchen was empty - there wasn't even a kettle to boil water and there was no cultery whatsoever even if one were to buy food in. This fact needs to be made clear in the description of the place. Granted there was the 22nd floor where one could make hot drinks but this is not the same as saying there is access a shared kitchen. Room was clean but common facilities like the elevator and common room were dirty and unkempt.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I lived at Wycik for 13 years (it is a student co-op that rents out rooms in the summer months when some students go home) and worked there in the hotel as well during the summer. The summer hotel is actually a hostel and is meant mainly to cater to backpackers and student or people on a limited budget. Contrary to other reviews, I can tell you that the rooms are indeed cleaned every day. I know. I did this myself.

It is not luxury, no AC and you have to share a bathroom but it is worth the price. Other places nearby charge significantly more for about the same quality.

Many reviewers have written that it is a dump but remember, you are paying 20% of the price you would pay for a standard hotel room anywhere else in Toronto, so set your expectations accordingly.

Room Tip: It gets very hot in the summer, so ask for a room on the north side of the hotel, away from the sun...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John R
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Don't stay here, it is beyond disgusting! I rented a room for four months during my internship and if I had seen the place before I would never have chosen it! The room was so dirty when I arrived, like no one had cleaned it for years! I had a mouse in my room and when I went to complain about it, the staffs reaction was just "Oh, well do you want a mousetrap?".The mattress was really old and had lost its suspension so that the bed was really uneven and uncomfortable sleeping in, nevertheless the windows that were so thin that the temperature inside the room was the same as outside. I was literally freezing every night and had to sleep with my winter coat on for the first few night before i bough a blanket for myself. I didn't get any sleep, especially during the weekends because of the student parties so it was really nice to go to work and school every morning feeling too tired. The only good thing about this place is the location! but there are other better places around the area as well, if you just keep searching! I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred dollars extra for a clean mouse free room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank star155019

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Really nice place to stay when in Toronto, very clean and friendly staff, also the fact that its student halls the rest of the year allows you to have your essentialy private kitchen. The rooftop terrece is amazing, and the view is incredible! The only negative thing is that its not overly socialble so I would suggest staying as a group if you were to book here, but very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sambo20389
Lyon, France
Reviewed September 27, 2012

- Bed linen were dirty and there were stains on the pillow.
- Bathrooms were limit cleaned.
- It's poorly furnished and the quality of the bed changes between each bed.
- WIFI only available in one room: "the TV room". The stream was pretty low
- Most of the rooms have a side on the street and this could be noisy for those who have a light sleep.
- Dirty kitchens and pan, saucepan are not provided.

+ Well located close to downtown
+ Free breakfast (3items)
+ Free WIFI
+ Not enpensive to compare to other accommodations

=> I advise this accommodation only for a few nights, if you don't have to cook and if you want something cheap and close to downtown.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sdt_lyon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I've only given this 'poor' instead of 'terrible' as the girl I spoke to on Reception was helpful and polite (although others seemed surly).

There was a large quantity of pubic hair on the bathroom floor which remained there for the duration of my stay. The fridge was growing things. My bedroom was coated in dust. There was dry rot on one of the floors. My first room stank of beer as guests in two other rooms in the apartment had dumped all their stuff including about 50 empty beer cans and other rubbish into the middle of their rooms and left the doors open. I was moved to a flat where conditions were a bit better but still dirty. They need to employ cleaners and it would be fine (if its not too hot as there's no a/c).

Room Tip: Don't go here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank APW456
chesaning
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Please note: I enjoy staying in dorm rooms as an alternative to expensive hotels. Small dings and dents don't bother me. Worn linens are fine. Campgrounds are great. I, however, cannot live surrounded by garbage and hair. Cleanliness is high on my list.

My husband and I traveled to Toronto for a one night getaway. We booked Neill-Wycik for location and value. Our room 7x9 room was $71 tax included and FILTHY. The bed covers and linens were covered in curly black hairs (Pubes?). The floors were littered with hair, food wrappers, and a hygienic liner from a swimsuit. There was a large tear in the window screen. The room was advertized as a two bed; not true. It was one bed and one roll-away bed. The shared bathroom (potty and shower in a closet) was disgusting. I could not bring myself to use the bathroom for any purpose. The front desk staff was apologetic and radioed housekeeping right away. When we returned three hours later, the room still had not been cleaned. I wadded the linens up and walked down the the desk and plopped them, nasty hairs and all, and requested clean linens. The continental breakfast was adequate to good. However, we will NEVER stay here again. The luggage room, hallways, elevators, etc. are disgusting. I discounted the other reports... You live and learn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple