“Need to shake the kitchen up a little maybe?”
Review of Vivetha Bistro

Vivetha Bistro
Ranked #471 of 8,722 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: East End
Description: Intersection: Queen St E. & Neville Park Blvd.
Reviewed November 30, 2012

If I had submitted this review last year it would have been like most - great food - great value. Can't say enough about this place. My last two visits though (last week and in September) I have found the quality of the food coming out of the kitchen to be slipping. I used to rave about this restaurant being the best kept secret in the city but after my last two visits I'm not so sure. The crabcakes were good last week but phenominal in September. Will definately give it another try to see if they are able to turn it around. The value for your meal (portions are generous) is great so it will definately be worth another visit.

2  Thank 4kids2dogsandahubby
There are newer reviews for Vivetha Bistro

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Been to Vi Vetha perhaps 5-6 times in a space of 2 years till April 2012 and I am surprised at the rave reviews.

The space is tiny, the menu way too large and the standard of cooking at best fair, sometimes downright appalling.

Lamp chops were overcooked so sent back to be greeted with a sigh the first time we went; the second time the whole menu was practically a variation on a theme of pasta and different sauces; the weekend brunch disappointing and the service, forgetful and superficial.

Why this place is so busy I just do not know. It is more likely an indictment of the lack of decent eateries in the Beach - especially east of Beech Ave.

If you want a really good meal for the same price-points as Vi Vetha - hop on the 501 streetcar, head 20 mins to Leslieville - and take your pick. That's what we used to do, and you'll feel better for it!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Last night we went to one of our favorite restaurants in Toronto - Vi Vetha Bistro on Queen Street in the Beach.
As always the food was excellent, the service was great and as always reservations were required for Thur-Sun.
I had my favorite dish - Seafood Pasta - Shrimps, Scallops and Smoked Salmon (I ask to leave out the salmon and add extra scallops - which they happily do) in Linguine with an Olive Oil, Lemon Sauce. I cannot say enough about how delicious the seafood is - it is very rare to find a chef anywhere that knows how to grill shrimps and scallops to perfection EVERY SINGLE TIME! The dish is fabulous and truly inexpensive $17 as of this writing. I paired it with a terrific Ceasar salad that again is perfect - in fact their Ceasar salad is so good that I don't bother ordering Ceasar salad at other restaurants anymore as I know I will be disappointed!
My wife had the Teryaki Salmon - her favourite (and another great value at $17) - along with the Cesar salad. She said that both were delicious and perfectly prepared. For an appetizer we split an order of Crab cakes which had a Chipotle Aioli and a generous helping of salad - delicious!
I cannot say enough about the consistency of this restaurant - we have eaten there many many times and have never had a meal that was not delicious. On occasion they have a Fix Prix menu and it has always been great - and extremely fair priced. In truth this restaurant is one of the rare gems that you come across - comfortable not fancy, fairly priced, great service and delicious creative food! If you are coming to Toronto then The Beach (or Beaches) might well be somewhere you would consider coming - ViVetha Bistro at the end of Queen Street East will be the perfect end to a day spent there. In fairness though they have a great breakfast/brunch menu and the food and pricing is just as good as their dinner menu - generous portions to say the least!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Vi Vetha offers good value for money. It's busy so I would recommend a reservation. We ususally go for lunch or brunch. It is noisy when full due to it's small space. Sit outside on the patio if possible during the summer months to avoid the noise. Good for public transportation as it's at the east end of the Queen St. streetcar line.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

ViVetha is the kind of place where you will want to make your reservation well in advance! The one relevant criticism I read was that it is very noisy. It is noisy- for a reason. It is small- it is extremely popular- and the food is fantastic. If you are looking for a quiet, private evening out, this is probably not the place for you. We were out for a romantic evening and thoroughly enjoyed the vibrant atmosphere, fantastic food and attentive service. Warm baby spinach salad was exquisite. Chicken Gorgonzola and “Orange You Nuts for This Pasta” had layers of unique and delightful flavours to be enjoyed. We will definitely be back to try some of the other tempting menu items.