“Perfect Hotel Without A View”

Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel
Ranked #37 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Milwaukee
“Perfect Hotel Without A View”
Reviewed July 23, 2005

I just returned from my one-week vacation in Toronto. I knew prior to my trip that I would most likely not have a room with a view. A city view was not important to me, since I would get out and see the city each day anyway. The only negative thing I have to say about this hotel is that there is no gift shop in the lobby. However there is a 24 hour grocery store right across the street from the back door of the hotel.

Ok, now on to the good stuff. The room was the most comfortable, clean, and cozy room I've ever stayed in, and I've been to hundreds of luxurious hotels. The rooms look BRAND NEW because of their recent upgrades. I could have stayed in the plush bed all day just relaxing or being entertained from over 40 channels on the 27 inch TV. The bathroom was small but impressive with its new Kohler bathroom products, and like the rest of the room, it was sparkling clean. There is a nice business centre located on the 1st floor with free internet access. I did not try the restaurant because there were so many other choices right around the hotel.

The location can't be beat. I will stay here every time I visit Toronto because it is located right above the Bloor-Yonge Subway Station. Just walk through the conveniently located door next to the lobby elevators and down some stairs to the subway, shopping area, and food court with over 10 restaurants. Right outside the hotel, there is more top rated shopping on Bloor Street West and Yorkville. After a full day of sightseeing, it was wonderful to come back to my quiet and peaceful room. And because most rooms face into an empty courtyard, I could look out my window and not see a person. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Toronto.

• Stayed July 2005
10 Thank Torontoqlty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Greek first
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Upon arrival there was a problem with my room and Kevin and his front desk staff were ready with a solution when I walked in the door. Customer service was above and beyond expectations!
I found the gym to be very clean and adequate for a smaller hotel. My room was very clean and enjoyable and the shopping along Bloor is wonderful!

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Waterloo, Ontario
Reviewed June 4, 2005

When I arrived at the Marriott Yorkville I parked in the parking garage below it. I stay for saturday night & sunday night leaving monday at noon and the parking guy only charged me $20 for the entire stay.

The rooms themselves are among the biggest in any hotel in Toronto. They have all been updated and are very well appointed compared to any other Marriott I have stayed at (not including JW Marriott's of course).

Amenities include standard toiletries, complimentary in-room coffee, hair dryer iron and ironing board, etc.

The hotel is located directly above a shopping centre and a subway station. This was a major plus for going downtown. I walked it twice. It is roughly 11 blocks or so to get downtown. Not too bad, but if you have trouble walking or do not like walking I strongly suggest the subway.

If you manage to get a room on the first floor, there is a roof terrace there that can be fun to sit on at night and checkout the stars.

There is an LCBO located directly below the hotel. When you're in the lobby to the right of the desk there is a door labelled shopping or parking, something like that. You go out there. Skip the elevator, take the door to the left of it and go down into the shopping centre. Hang a right and you will pass the Bay and the LCBO will be on your right.

The problem that everyone mentions about this hotel is elevator location. Truth be told, the elevators are poorly placed, and this hotel could use another set of elevators to cut down on the walking distance. However, all things considered this was a minor point.

I strongly reccommend the Marriott Yorkville.

Stayed May 2005
3 Thank travelguy21
Elmhurst, New York
Reviewed May 30, 2005

I reserved this hotel with Priceline at a fantasitic rate, so when I received it, I had some hestitation as I had read some rather bad past reviews of this property. Plus as a Priceline customer, I assumed I would be getting a less desireable room. Well I was wrong. Check had a slight wait. I was given a room on the VIP floor. The room was a king non-smoking. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. It was very clean and fresh. Amenities included a robe, coffee and tea and high quality shampoos and soaps. Some people may have complained about the walk from the elevator. Yes, it was quite far, but if you are able to walk, I don't see a problem. A little exercise wouldn't hurt. Another big plus is the 1PM check out.

The location is perfect. Right above underground shopping and subway. Parking is available for $15.00 a day, but I used the one across the street as the hotel's do not have in-out privileges. But if you are just going to be downtown, leave the car and walk or use the subway.

I was ready to give this hotel 5 stars. I had put washed some clothes and when I went down to get them, my key card would not work. I called the front desk and they said they would send someone up. I waited 15 minutes, called again and they again said someone would be right up. A guest opened the door for me. When I got my clothes, I found the card would not work in the room. I found out at 1PM, the cards are de-activated. I am not sure if it is all rooms or just "Priceline rooms". I think some hotels do this, if they do it is not in their best interest to satisfy guests.

Given the small problem, I would recommend this hotel

3 Thank NY11373
Reviewed May 27, 2005

I had the pleasure of staying at The Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville in May 2005. I found the hotel staff to be very friendly and professional.

The hotel rooms are very spacious. The biggest rooms I have ever stayed in, compared to other hotels in Toronto.

The rooms have recently been upgraded. The bathrooms are beautiful and the bed was so comfortable I didn't even want to get out of it.

The location is very convenient to all the local attractions/shopping/restaurants.

The restaurant in the hotel is excellent.

If I had to rate this hotel, I would give a 10, for it's service, product, and staff.

I congratulate The Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville on their upgrades.

CN

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
lakewood
Reviewed May 23, 2005

the Marriott Bloor st. Yorkville was located right in the center of shopping. The subway was available out the door and down a few steps. An indoor /underground mall, food court, post office & ATM machine were also right there-very convenient. The hotel staff was exceptionally pleasant and helpful. the bartender was a great source of information to 4 sisters getting together for a weekend on restaurants we might like, night clubs,and misc.the rooms were so verycomfortable w/ high beds w/ down comforters and big pillows, there is nightly turn down service as well. We had breakfast at the hotel on sunday morning, the food was delicious and served hot. there also was a breakfast buffet. The bar was nice and relaxing- a good place to regroup and make plans for the evening w/pleasant bartenders who did not mind taking our group picture for us.the hotel was clean and bright. Ask for a room close to the elevator for two of us had a very long walk down the very long hall to get to the room.I would stay here again if i come back to toronto.

Reviewed May 10, 2005

I was really scared about staying here because of these nasty reviews but I have no cause for complaints. Our hotel room was pristine...not a speck of dust great lighting, and everything was in working order. The room had a very new "dry-wall" type of smell to it so maybe it was one of the rooms that went under renovation.

The room was no smoking and had a king bed. Room was almost as spacious as those at the Toronto Marriott Eaton Center. The bathroom was beautiful... marble countertop, Khoeler faucets, Neutrogena bath products. Room came equipped with the usual: desk, high speed internet, iron and board, coffee maker, blow dryer. Bed was soft, comfortable, and clean.
Housekeeping was not obtrusive like I've seen in many other hotels. Check out time is 1:00... I've never seen such a late time at any other place.

Front desk was very helpful. We came to check in at around 3:30 and they did not have any rooms available for us because a lot of people had checked out late. They told us to come back and check in in about 1-2 hours. That would have probably ticked some people off but the woman helping us was just so nice that we didn't care. It just gave us more of an excuse to get out and enjoy Yorkville!

Probably the best thing about this hotel is the location. You have Yonge Street and Eaton Mall a few blocks away, the cool Bloor West stores down the street, and the subway station right in the basement. SO CONVENIANT!
The subway stop, Bloor-Yonge, is also an interchange. Hudson's Bay Company is in the basement if you feel lazy and want to do some shopping. There is also an LCBO in the basement of the hotel!

Some "good eats" around the area: Greg's Ice Cream (corner of Bloor W and Spadina) and Pusateri's (on Yorkville).

Valet parking at the hotel is $27 C but we did public parking for about $15C a night. That's really cheap...probably cheaper than you will find anywhere. Don't quote me on that rate...it's just what we got.

One bad thing was the elevators... they were kind of scary.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member