“A Marriott that is better access by subway”

Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel
Ranked #35 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Canada
“A Marriott that is better access by subway”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Arrive here for a weekend stay. I normally stay in the hotel nearer to the Eaton center but decided to try this Marriott at bloor and yonge. The unfortunate thing is I drive to Toronto and finding a street level parking in this area is impossible. Manage to find parking at the Hudson bay above ground parking. Cost on weekend parking is great $6 for 6am to 6am but expect to pay $12 if you checkout at any time after 6am. The fun part of parking at the Hudson parking garage is that there is no direct access to the hotel lobby ... expect to walk 500m around the block from back to front. Parking at the underground parking off bloor would have afforded better direct access. This hotel exit side door is internal into the underground bloor and is only 25 steps to the entrance to the bloor subway station .... so travelling by subway is ideal.

On the checkin, it was pretty fast. The lobby is a bit small compare to many other marriott. After checkin, the fun part begin that is to find your room through the long myraid of corridors. This is an older hotel but still well maintained. The room is clean and decent with a safe, fridge and coffee maker. Bed is comfortable.Washroom is a bit smaller and come with a shower in the tub. Water pressure is a bit lacking here.

As with other marriott which are still in the dark age of telecommunication, wifi is free only at the ground floor lounge area. I tetter through my mobile phone for wifi rather than pay $13 for wifi in my room.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank E-TravellerCanada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Greek first
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Typical Marriott which I use a lot. I had a bad cold when travelling and like the room to be 20 degrees celcius. I was delayed and arrived late so went straight to bed. I had a terrible night as it was so warm no matter what temperature I set the aircon to (the room was showing 24 C). When I went out in the morning I asked the hotel to look at the aircon which they promised to do. Got back after work and it was 23C! Went and asked to change rooms which management said was no problem but when the guy came to move me he said it would not make any difference as the aircon was turned off throughout the hotel to save money. When I queried this with Mgt they admitted it was the case and suggested I turn off the aircon/heating and leave the curtains open so that the room naturally cooled down a bit. Needless to say it only got down to 22C across the rest of the week. Moral is to check that you can control the heat in the room; something that I would normally assume was a given.

Usual moan about having to pay for wifi. When will hotels accept that this should always be free?

Room Tip: Check whether they have their aircon working before you book if you like a cool room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
DirGuestCare, Guest Relations Manager at Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear David and Arti - Thanks for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at the hotel.

Unfortunately, some of the information your were given was not correct. I would be grateful if you would contact me so that I could clarify some of the details and use for training purposes with my team.

I can be reached at 416.515.2586.

Susan Anderson
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Let me begin by saying that the room at this hotel was great. The room and bathroom were modern and clean, the beds were comfortable. I was in Toronto meeting up with a friend from college for a girl's weekend and we honestly spent little time in the hotel. After long days of shopping and adventuring, we enjoyed coming back here to relax.

The staff was incredibly accommodating and friendly. We had time to pass following our check out, and the front desk anticipated our need and offered to hold our luggage. This was perfect! We were able to leave our bags, enjoy a delicious meal in the on site restaurant, and do a tad more shopping before our official departure.

The location is VERY close to the public transit system. I took the subway from Pearson International Airport to the hotel. It was one express bus ride to the subway, then a direct subway ride to the Bloor-Yorkville station. When I ventured outside, I looked to my left and the hotel was RIGHT there. Very convenient if you are looking to budget and save yourself the $60+ taxi ride from the airport into the city.

My ONLY criticisms are that this hotel lacks a pool and the hallways are incredibly long and tiresome at some points. Due to the layout, it was a bit of a walk to get from the elevator to our room, especially after a long exhausting day.

Room Tip: Room close to the elevator to avoid walking a rather large distance to your room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChristyMaireC
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed there because we got a decent deal for the area (and Toronto in general). The hotel and room was very clean and the bed was very comfy. The room was a decent size and it was very quiet.

Some tips: on the hotel website, only $35 valet parking is mentioned. There is a self-park option for $20 in the same building.

There is a grocery store right outside that sells a lot of prepared meals and a food court. No need to spend insane amounts of money in the hotel restaurant or on room service (seriously? $20 breakfast? Who even orders that!).

There is free wifi in the lobby but it's $13 if you want it in the room. I found that disappointing to have to pay this much for wifi in the room and it was not worth the cost.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alice669
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

I come to Toronto from the West fairly often. normally I stay at another chain but because I had a conference at this Hotel I stayed. The good: rooms are very clean and comfortable with modern TV and comfortable furnishing. Unless you are a Marriott Points member there is a charge for WiFi.
The Bad: no in room coffee makers - if you want coffee it's either room service or the lobby. honestly in this day and age what hotel does not have in room coffee. I came here in the depth of winter and did not want to go outside. I knew there are restaurants in the area and the hotel is in easy access to the subway. It chose to have dinner in the hotel's restaurant - ouch - the food was very good but overpriced for what you got. maybe Toronto does seem expensive. Overall if you want a clean room, in a hotel that is well located and easy to get to then this Marriott is fine. I would not say however that it would be my first choice when I come back

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Cicero12
DirGuestCare, Guest Relations Manager at Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay. I am glad that your overall impression were favourable. We do have coffee makers and refrigerators in all of our guest rooms. If we had removed one for any reason without replacement, it would have been an oversight that I apologize for. I hope that if your travels should bring you to the Yorkville area again that you would choose us.
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I go to this hotel each time I am in Toronto. The staff is very nice, rooms are of a good size and clean. Bathrooms are updated and the beds are amazing. Location could not be better for shopping, restaurants and subways. Great value!!!

• Stayed February 2014
Mississauga
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

If you have stayed at a Howard Johnson or any budget chain, you would feel about the same except the Mariott is a more expensive version. Parking is between $20-30 per night which is high for uptown.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless it's on sale or you really need to be in the Yorkville area.

Yorkville itself is worth the visit. High end shops and restaurants.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bansheeman
DirGuestCare, Guest Relations Manager at Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. Toronto's Yorkville area has lots of exciting things to do .....for everyone. We consistently review our hotel charges compared to others in the neighbourhood. Our valet parking rates are the same or less than others in our immediate area. I do hope that you had an otherwise enjoyable stay and will choose us again as a base for future stays in the Yorkville area.