“A Perfectly Fine Hotel in a Perfectly Awesome City”

Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel
Ranked #34 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I'm tempted to rate this hotel only 3 stars to penalize Marriott for not having free WiFi in the guest rooms; it's very frustrating to have to go down to the (small) lobby to get free internet. But, okay, I guess I have to rate the hotel 4 stars because it meets Marriott standards, and it is in an excellent location in downtown Toronto. The hotel is right by the intersection of Yonge and Bloor Streets, which is as good as it gets. Yonge Street is one of my favorite streets in the world for soaking up city character and people watching. And Bloor Street just to the west of the hotel is a fantastic shopping district with almost every high-end store you can think of. Because the hotel is immediately adjacent to a subway station, transportation is easy.

Speaking of the subway, here is my number one tip: If you fly into Pearson Airport, don't take the fancy airport bus that costs nearly $30 and takes forever to get you as far north as this Marriott. Instead, for $3 (CAD), hop on the #192 city bus (called the "Airport Rocket"), which takes you directly to the Kipling subway station. At Kipling, board the subway, which will deliver you to Yonge & Bloor Streets in about 30 minutes.

My second subway tip is to look into purchasing a daily pass. For $10.75 (CAD), a one-day pass can be used by 2 adults and up to 4 children for unlimited subway trips; that's a lot cheaper than $3 per person per trip!

This hotel isn't actually very large for a Marriott, because there are only 6 floors of guest rooms. Outward facing rooms may give you something of a view, but inward facing rooms overlook an ugly central area of the building.

Overall I have no particular complaints other than the WiFi issue. There were a few minor defects, like a loose shower control and visible silicon seal in the bathroom sink, that make it seem like someone could pay a little closer attention to detail. But tiny defects like these will not affect your overall enjoyment. I'd certainly be more than happy to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: An outward facing room will have more of a view than an inward facing room.
Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ethan Friedman

Reviewed August 21, 2013

After reading so many wonderful comments about this hotel, I was excited to find out that this hotel turned out to be on par with expectations. I had also read so many great comments about a certain front desk agent "Maya", and I was lucky enough to be checked in by her! She was wonderfully friendly, professional and helpful. Out of all the wonderful Marriott employees I've met anywhere, she must have been the best at customer service so far and should be commended for that Great job!

Being a plat member, I was upgraded to a very nice two bed suite with access to the lounge. I was also offered either a 10$ voucher for their restaurant or extra points. I really, really, really wish they would bring back the food and beverage check-in amenity, and Maya made sure to take note of that and pass it up the chain. I know that some good Marriotts still offer that, and I wish this one still did, above the minimum offerings set by corporate.

The room was very clean, fresh, spacious, and modern. The living room TV had a multimedia input/presentation area at the work desk where you could hook your computer up easily to the TV. Brownie points for the idea, but the HDMI connection there was not working. I ended up directly hooking up the laptop to the TV. The washroom had a tub/shower combination AND a very nice separate glass shower. There were also plenty of luxury amenities including mouthwash, lotion, and shower gel.

I've noted that some people have said to request a certain side of the hotel, because the other side's view resembled a prison. I am not fussy about views, especially considering it's downtown Toronto, but I must admit that the view resembled a scene from Prison Break; it looked like a prison block and was pretty depressing. We ended up just shutting the curtains.

The lounge was nice and on par with other Marriotts. There were cheeses, greek salad, spring rolls, coffee, cookies, pop, etc. I did not try the breakfast at the lounge.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and was very impressed with service here. The one thing I'd request is for them to bring back the F&B amenities at check-in because quite honestly, there's not much 10$ will get you and I always took the F&B amenities anyways.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mapelle621
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great location and the room was very nice and clean. The staff was very helpful and we felt right at home. The subway is right below the hotel which is great for commuting around the city. The consierge was very helpful with all of our requests. One note if you are looking for cheaper parking than what the valet service offers use the public lot below the hotel. This is an underground lot which is much much cheaper than the valet service!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matt P
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The location is great! But I did expect better service from a Marriott. Traveling from Mexico with a baby was a challenge wanted to get the best from Toronto. The Concierge lady was never around, no one could tell us when or where to take the hop on hop off bus. There is NO access for a wheelchair or stroller, and it was very dangerous to go though the parking entrance with the baby. When asking for extra towel, they took forever to arrive. And for some reason at check in we had a rollaway bed in the room (un made), I called right away to have it removed but no one came, I had to take it out by my self since it was dangerous for the baby (she was starting to walk by then) I was a redeye arrival but the staff had no considerations to ask me to leave as early as possible since the hotel was booked on my check out date, I was hopping to get a late check out since my flight was at 7pm and I wanted the baby to rest a little bit. I understand this is not a family hotel but a little common sense wouldn't hurt.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DiGarGar
DirGuestCare, Guest Relations Manager at Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am truly sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. We have reviewed your comments with our teams as this is certainly not the standard that we are proud of. We do try to be as flexible as possible with arrival and departure times based on the demands of our guests. I am sorry we were not able to accommodate you and your family. I do hope that your visit to Toronto was otherwise enjoyable. Best Regards,

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great location right on Bloor, near Young and Yorkville Ave, so lots of places to walk around including lots of restos and shopping (high end and low end). We were upgraded to a large, clean, well appointed king room which was very much appreciated. All in all, everything was as expected from a Marriott.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Greeted warmly and sincerely, this Marriott is a perfect downtown destination in Toronto. The spacious rooms are always clean and comfortable. The entire staff is genuinely friendly and absolutely professional. The check-in and check-out processes are provided by well trained and genuinely friendly staff that stand ready to answer questions and quickly guide you to a destination you may be looking for. The spacious lobby affords meeting up with business colleagues in a comfortable setting. Rooms are quiet, when fellow guests are respectful while walking in the hallways.

Room Tip: A room on the second floor or above will help to quiet the sound of the subway directly under the ho...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alan_Mosin_Fan
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My family reserved several rooms at this Marriott location for my wedding. Not only is it a very short walk from Yorkville (you can never be too close to Yorkville!), but it was fresh and clean. The staff were very professional and polite. The parking garage was able to accomodate the limos also.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family