“Nothing for free.”

Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel
Ranked #35 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
“Nothing for free.”
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very nice, but I can't give it 5 stars. First of all the price of $159. Plus taxes should put it in a four star range, but they nickel and dime you to death.
$35. a day for parking....really?
$16.50 a day for WiFi? Not for me.
And seriously, $2.99 for a bottle of water that Walmart sells for $4.99 for 30 bottles.
No continental breakfast, but our restaurant will sell you one at sky-high prices.
Also, my bed clunked every time I tuned over.
Not coming back here.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Tombassinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Greek first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 12, 2013

It might not be the swankiest boutique hotel, but it's a Marriott: clean, current, a great location and the staff is excellent.
- The doorman had my bags out of the cab and at the front desk before I could pay the cabbie.
- The desk clerk knew my name and had me practically checked in by the time I said hello.
- My room was perfect - not a single complaint. The bathroom as spotless.
- I had trouble connecting to wifi and they sent a man to reset the router within 10 minutes. He made sure I could connect before he left.
- Room service (breakfast) arrived exactly on time. The food was warm and well prepared.
- Check out was a breeze, they recalculated my receipt to include breakfast.

If I were going to Toronto again, this hotel would be my first pick. There was pretty much nothing to improve on.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had a very good time in this hotel. It is very centrally located in the Yorkville neighborhood, blocks away from restaurants, the University of Toronto, the Royal Museum of Ontario and other landmarks, next to a supermarket that has a Starbucks, and one of the major subway lines. Above one of Toronto's mall/ tunnels.
The room was big, with a queen bed and two comfy chairs. I was on a conference rate and my internet was included but if you are not it will set you back 13.6 canadians, which is on the pricey side. The service, however was very reliable. Television offerings could be better.
The best thing about this hotel is the staff. Everybody (front desk, concierge, cleaning staff) was great and accomodated all my requests. The hotel is clean in general and very well taken care of.
A few hiccups. the lobby is barely even there, and there was a construction. But this is not a place to meet people in the lobby for sure. You do not need much of services because there is pretty much everything in the streets around, but the availability of things is very reduced for a four star hotel. Also, I noticed that everyday plates, cans and other recyclables accumulated in the doors of the rooms. While this may respond to a system, seeing garbage in the hallway outside of most rooms is a pretty awful thing for a guest in a hotel like this.
Otherwise, this is a great hotel to stay in particularly if your destination is Yorkville or the U of Toronto.

Room Tip: I was put next to the vending machine and it did not bother me. it's a quiet hotel in general.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Gilmer, Texas
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The hotel was very convenient to shopping and underground. The bar was great (terrific cosmos) and the food looked delish (although we were dining elsewhere) we drooled over it as it was being served to other tables. The beds were comfy and the rooms were very clean and modern enough. The hallways and upholstered furniture in them could use a clean or replacement. My only complaint is that I could not get my room cool enough, kinda stuffy. I did not complain so do not know how the maintenance is handled (we were only there for two nights and not in the room much). I did see fans outside some of the rooms so I should have asked for one and that might have solved the problem. All in all, a good stay at a reasonable price for the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My room smelled like wet cat, so I burned some in senses. The hotel took my $150 deposit telling me that I smoked in the room. I've stayed in way better hotels then this one, and I have never been charged for burning in sense in my room.

Worst experience ever.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Obsessedmotors
Colchester, Vermont
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I recently stayed here on a weekend trip with friends.
We arrived early, and although we couldn't check in, they were more than happy to hold our luggage.
The room was nice, and the beds were comfortable.
Everyone we encountered during our stay was cordial and helpful.

The hotel is located right next to the public subway system.
Bloor Street has plenty to keep you busy if you don't feel like straying too far from the hotel.
There are both designer and local shops as far as you can walk.

This is a great centrally located Toronto hotel, I feel as though anyone would enjoy their stay as much as I did!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jon I
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I booked this hotel as the location and price were right, and I have had good experiences with Marriott in the past.

The room was nice enough but would have been better with wooden floors or a more plain carpet -- furniture and bed were comfortable and modern, but the carpeting, with a busy print, somehow made it feel very institutional. Long winding hallways and a strange strawberry smell when getting off the elevator made arrival on the floor of my room a bit depressing.

I found the entrance to the quite decent shopping area downstairs is poorly marked at both ends. Given the number of hotels in this part of Toronto, the Marriott is a reasonable choice, but it just doesn't feel very... special.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside window -- but be prepared to see a parking lot if you are in the back...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business