“A tired 4 star”

Ranked #37 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
vancouver
“A tired 4 star”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

The rooms are up to snuff and the location is perfect for shopping however the lobby, restaurant and hallways are looking tired and are in need of an update. I had to wait close to 1/2 an hour to get my car from the valet. We did get a good deal so I didn't mind too much.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Greek first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Marriott is a very comfortable hotel, the staff are friendly, and the location at the intersection of Toronto's two main subway lines is very convenient. It's a solid hotel if you can get it at a reasonable price.

However, because my employer was shelling out more than $200 per night for my stay (and that's with a government discount!), I had higher expectations than basic comfort and cleanliness, and these expectations were not met. For $200-plus a night, I expect free wireless (or even wired) Internet in my room; the Marriott charges about $15 per day, which is pretty chintzy. I expect a quiet room; while I couldn't hear traffic noise, conversations in the hallway were easily overheard. The furniture in the rooms was nice, they could use a little touching up — the wallpaper was starting to peel off. And the towels were pretty rough, not the nice fluffy ones you'd expect at a three- or four-star hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The location is perfect and is close to shopping. The staff go out of their way to assist you. This is a upscale hotel. The subway and the musuem is located next door and is very easy to find. Yorkville is located next door and i cant forget louis vitton is on the same street

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank peterj1970
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2012

A big thank you goes to the staff of this hotel as we enjoyed our stay even though the fire alarm
went off twice during our visit. Once, when we were about to check in the hotel and secondly,
at about 2:30 in the morning. They gave us an upgrade and a free breakfast which I thought was very fair. I would definitely stay there again as it is an ideal location right downtown and close to everything. We were able to go to the Santa Claus parade and come back and relax
at the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back on the 400's near the elevator. Very sunny and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dgm792
Toronto
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on Nov 30. On Saturday morning we were awaken by a jackhammer. When we checked out the hotel gave us a $50 voucher for our next stay at any Mariott.

Contrast this with our Sunwing Airlines flight to Jamaica. We booked non stop to Jamaica from Toronto. 48 hours before our flight to Jamaica we were going to Montreal then Jamaica. We were told that on the way home we would be travelling to Toronto non stop. Even though it would take another 3 hours to get to Jamaica we decided to go knowing that it would be equal on the way home.

We left the hotel at the end of our trip and made it 300 feet down the road when the driver stopped and a Sunwing rep stepped on the bus and let us know that we would be flying to Montreal the Toronto. So we were on the plane a total of 14 hours the equivalent of travelling to London and back. We were offered nothing, not even a free drink because of this.

The differance Mariott cost $157 and we received $50 for being bothered early one morning.
Sunwing $2800 and we received nothing for losing over 6 hours extra on the beach and spending 14 hours in a plane. DO NOT FLY SUNWING THEY DO NOT GO NON STOP TORONTO TO MONTEAL

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ames, IA
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I spent three nights at the Marriott and overall, I would say it was a pretty good experience. It had the normal frustrations, including Marriott's policy of still charging for internet - my number oen reason for avoiding the chain whenever I can. But in this instance, the price and location over-ruled this annoyance and expense. Located within a half a block of Yonge and Bloor, and therefore close to Toronto's version of the Miracle Mile, University of Toronto and Yorkville, not to mention the confluence of the two main branches of the subway system, the Marriott is in a great location. The rooms are comfortable, with great beds and a wonderful work desk for those on business - plenty of electrical outlets for computer, phones, etc. But for some reason, the interent speed was painfully slow, almost to the point of being unusable.

As a side note, there was a firealarm during my stay - at 2:30 in the morning - and rather than annoy me, it impressed me by how well insructions were given and how the staff handled it. It was a false alarm, but it gave me confidence that if ever there was a real fire, this hotel is ready to handle it.

Self park on weekends was a very reasonable - for downtown Toronto - $15 per night!! Apparently, it is much higher on weekdays.

Finally, the staff were great - from the doormen to the front desk to the cleaning staff, I could not have asked for better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank chillin51
London, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Arrived @ Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville around 9pm on thursday evening. Check in was quick & friendly & we were offered 2 Queens or 1 King for our rooms (selecion is not usually an option @ check in with most hotels)... The rooms were clean and spacious although I could smell a mildew-ish scent in some areas :(
The Location is awesome in the center of amazing shopping on Bloor St & plenty of great restaurants nearby (Eatons Centre is about a 15-20min walk)..

The restaurant food was decent in the hotel but the service was terrible... you'll see if you decide to eat there... next time I would opt for room service.

Unfortunately the second day we found out there was some construction going on that was hammering away for HOURS until about 9pm at night, the construction was also effecting our tv so we couldn't even drown out the noise!! Also, this is the day that the room next to us was occupied by the noisiest group of guys (6 in one room), who decided it was ok to have a party in there room until 5am after there friend got locked out of the room and banged on the door nonstop for an hour at 2am!

Because of this I have given the hotel a low rating as I think it is the hotels resposability to keep an eye out for people throwing parties in there room late at night and that I should not have to call the front desk all night :(

I would, however, stay at this hotel again (in hopes that the people in the room next door can refrain having a frat party)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends