“service is great; rooms are stale”

Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel
Ranked #33 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I recently returned from a 2 night stay at Marriott Bloor Yorkville. I chose it because I have stayed in the past and the amazing customer service warranted a return visit. Service was still amazing and the hotel manager was very accommodating. On the downside, the rooms are very old & stale. The pillows were flat and challenging to sleep on. Carpets were old & dirty in the room. I expect more from a Marriott hotel expecially when a 2 night stay is over $700.00.
Return is questionable unless the rooms are updated. I would rate service as a 4 star, hotel room as a 2 or 3 star.
One thing I have never understood about the Marriott chain is the charges for room internet service. Courtyards are normally free and yet there is a charge with the higher end Marriott hotels.

Room Tip: concierge rooms are the same as the standard rooms. You pay substantially more for internet access...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Traveled to Toronto with my sister. Hotel stay was wonderful. Service was amazing from check in to check out... Thanks to everyone who made our stay GREAT! Stayed this past Friday and Saturday Room was terrific. Clean, spacious, large bathroom,comfy bed, with plenty of pillows and flat screen TV. Definitely 4 star +. A 20 mins walk to downtown area. .. Lots of unique stores and high end shopping nearby. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Park your own car, it's the same lot as the valet, but $16./day not $40./day!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed this past Saturday. Room was terrific. Clean, spacious, large bathroom, flat screen, etc. Definitely 4 star. Ten dollar cab to downtown area was needed. Lots of unique stores and high end shopping nearby. Highly recommend.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I love Toronto. Returning for the first time in ten years, I was eager to reconnect with friends and enjoy the city again. I chose to stay at the Marriott Bloor; it's perfectly situated in the fun Yorkville district, with quick access to main areas of the city via subway, and was my favorite hotel in the past.

This visit did not disappoint. My room was spacious and tastefully appointed. Both my room and the hotel in general were spotless. The real "wow" element, tho, was the staff. They were every bit as gracious, welcoming, and professional as I had remembered. Amazingly, many recognized my face, and one even remembered my name. This might sound corny, but I felt as though I was staying with old friends.

So to Carlo, Carol-Lynn, George, John, Angheny, Tamara, Geoff, and Allana - many thanks for making my stay a delight, and I'll certainly hope my next visit is sooner than ten years!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Traveled to Toronto with friends for a few days. This hotel was one of several options we looked at - chose this for it's location. Staff is friendly and helpful and the rooms we were in were spotless, every day. Typical Marriott-like furnishings - nice and tasteful, not over the top. Did I mention clean? LOL

The rooms were large, nice seating areas, good desk, of course you pay for internet (but you almost always do in a metro area), great view and the bed was excellent with plenty of pillows.

The concierge was most helpful to us lost souls.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Let's start by saying we required a room for 3 and we were "walk ups" at 3 p.m. on a Saturday. We were fortunate to obtain the last room and only had a short wait until it was ready. While our room met our expectations for size, comfort and cleanliness, I was somewhat disappointed that a "Rewards" member still had to pay $13 for internet service for 1 night. The front desk people overall were helpful especially Michael. I recognize that this Marriott is a busy hotel however, small things were lacking for 3 adults e.g. enough, in room, coffee cups, coffee and towels. The valet/customer drop off area was somewhat hidden and cogested. Overall a good stay with few surprises.

Room Tip: Rooms above the first floor (Marriott's number, actually the 6th) can avoid the meeting rooms an...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank firefighter28
Reviewed October 1, 2012

A group of us from all over the world (Africa, Singapore, USA, all over Canada) converged on Toronto recently for a concert. We stayed at the Marriott on Bloor as it was within easy walking distance of the venue. Prior to arriving, some from our group checked with the hotel staff to see if there was a way for all of us to be on the same floor. They were told no, but to try again upon checking in. With this in mind, the service at the hotel blew me away. They did end up getting most of us on the same floor. The staff was SO friendly. They knew all (or most of) us by sight and when I would come through the lobby, the desk staff would say hello and let me know if they had seen others from my group coming and going. Everything was clean and bright and the room was HUGE. There was no charge for an extra cot in my room. When I told housekeeping there would be three people in my room Friday night, they left extra towels and three bottles of each of the hotel toiletries :-) The location was also convenient for shopping. I would go back in a heartbeat. One of the best hotel experiences I have ever had.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends