“Braved the Storm of March/08 in this awesome hotel.”

Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel
Ranked #34 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed March 11, 2008

Booked this hotel over priceline for $64USD =priceline fees per night over the weekend of March 7th and 8th, 2008. We were in town for some shopping, r n'r and a leaf's game.

Check in was painless and quick. If you don't drive a Lexus or other 'Valet Worthy' vehicle park in the underground parking directly underneath the hotel. I honestly don't know how the person who complained about the hotel not telling them about the self-park option missed the sign to park. When you arrive at the hotel if you go straight--Valet, but if you head right off to the side-self park (RIGHT UNDER THE BIG GREEN P)---can't miss it. . . seriously. Cost us $12 and we were there 2 days.

When we arrived at the room it was evident that it had been smoked in even though we requested a non-smoking room. A quick call to the front desk and a concierge was at our door in minutes carrying our luggage to a new room. In addition they provided us with a free breakfast voucher for the troubles.

The new room (King delux) was clean, very spacious and very very clean. The bathroom was spotless and pleasant to use. Room was very quiet and peaceful. Bed was very comfortable but if you don't like feather pillows you have to ask for others to be sent up--no problem.

Breakfast was awesome. Buffet style with many non-conventional gourmet choices such as fresh fruit and cheeses, variety of healthy cereals, eggs., bacon, western sandwiches and a personalized chef to create custom omelets and waffles. One of the better breakfasts I've ever had. But good thing for the voucher or I wouldn't have payed the $16 per person.

This hotel is a stones throw from Young street and the busy downtown shopping district. However, we were weathering out the biggest snow storm of the year so we opted not to go outside. Cool enough is that this hotel is located directly on top of the underground Hudson's Bay Center. A short flight of stairs down from the lobby and your in this underground mall. Not much to see or do here but it is directly connected to the subway. On Saturday we caught the subway under the hotel over to the Eaton's Centre and spent the day in the "Underground City" exploring and shopping. Never even needed to bring a jacket or go outside at all.

Sat night, again down to the subway to the ACC and the leaf's game. Right there with no difficulty. Plus the hotel staff are amazing and always willing to help you find your way (maps provided).

All in all this was a great weekend away and this was a superior hotel as far as we are concerned. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Hopefully next time we're in T.O. Priceline will still be dealing with this hotel.

Happy Travels.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Catalyst519
Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)

Reviewed January 21, 2008

Stayed one night - ok, but missed not having a pool and hotub.

booked on Priceline for $55US

Parking - Before I arrived i called the hotel to ask about parking - they told me the only paking available is Valet for $27 a day. They did not tell me there is a parking garage which can be accessed underground right next to the hotel. I was surprized it only cost me $10 for a 24 hour period. It is a little confusing to find your way but there is a door from the underground shopping area to the hotel.

We toured around using the subway system - worked out good only $9.00 for a day pass for 2 people

Stayed: January 2008
4  Thank HotplateOntario
Reviewed January 14, 2008

This past Saturday I had a very pleasant stay at the Marriott in Yorkville. Usually when I stay in this area, I stay at the Intercontinental but the Marriott I found to be more welcoming.

I believe the hotel had just received an extra AAA star to bring it up to a four star property. I think the service was great and was part of the reason for the upgraded rating.

I opted to go with valet parking for the weekend which gave me the flexibility to come and go as I please. The fee is $30 which is quite standard for central Toronto.

The best part of the hotel is the location. There is a subway station in the same building and a shopping mall. There is also a great many of high-end boutiques on Bloor St. and in the Yorkville area. You should be able to reach everything on foot unless heading further south to the Theatre district or Eaton Centre. In the warmer months, you could reach the South attractions in the city in about 20 minutes.

One thing that I thought was great about the hotel was the pet-friendly policy. This was the first time I had brought my cocker spaniel with me on a leisure trip and the staff made me feel very welcome! Most hotels (I assume) that are pet-friendly allow pets but would rather not have them on the property. The desk staff and housekeepers all stopped to pet my dog and all seemed genuinely happy to see him.

There is a non-refundable fee of $50 for small dogs, which is valid for the duration of the stay. I think this price is fair, as the alternative of putting him in a boarding facility would have been even more expensive for the two days. I would say that if you have a dog, the Marriott is a great option!

The room was very large and clean with a mundane view of adjacent buildings. The TV is a standard 25" unit and the washroom was nicely appointed in marble.

The bed, was not as great as other four star properties I have visited and I found that the largest pillows should have been smaller. Other than that, I had a good night sleep. The other thing I noticed was how nice the housekeeping staff was. Whenever I left my room to go for a walk with my dog, they would all give me the biggest smiles and say hello. I thought they were very nice!

There is also a business centre on the first floor if you need to connect to check email etc. I believe there were two computers and then two extra spots to hook up your own laptop.

I would say that Marriott is a great option due to the outstanding location and warm service. The interior falls a little below the standards for a 4 star rating but would not deter me from staying here on a future trip.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2007

We checked in on Friday evening and were able to get upgraded to an Executive Suite. The room was nice and clean and the location of the hotel was great. The bathroom is very small for a suite type room. The Marriott beds were great as usual.

I stay in Marriott Hotels a lot.

Before we left we unpacked and put everything away and realized that there was no safe in the room. I took my jewlery with me when we left the room but we left both of our laptops out on the desk top and my digital camera in my luggage with the zipper closed. When we returned from dinner the room had been turned down.

The next morning I went to get my camera as we were going to visit some different areas of Toronto and I wanted to make pictures. The camera was gone. It was not a brand new camera but one of the original Canon Elf models. I called the front desk and told them the camera was missing and that we had looked in all of our luggage, in the car and torn the room apart. The young lady at the front desk checked with housekeeping and security and told me that no camera had been turned in. I stated again that I hadn't lost it but that I felt it had been taken. I asked that it be reported.

At no point would they send anyone up to take a report. I was told no manager was available. I asked what else I could do but all that was offered was that she was sure it wasn't taken that if housekeeping had found it they would have put it on the desk. I know that I didn't lose the camera because I never removed it from the room. I know it was still in my luggage when I left the room....I saw it before I left. I cannot believe that this hotel didn't care enough to even send someone up to take a report. I doubt I will ever stay at this Marriott again. This is not typical treatment by a Marriott.

If you do stay here be careful and don't leave anything of value in your room.

I am in the travel business and I don't think I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vvlcek
Reviewed November 1, 2007

I had a great long weekend at the Marriott Bloor Yorkville Oct. 25-28.
The hotel is located on the north end of downtown Toronto (also called Midtown or Yorkville), at the major crossroads of Bloor and Yonge streets, steps away from the high-end shopping of Bloor and the cute Euro-esque Yorkville neighborhood. The location is great for all purposes - the hotel is connected to the Bay shopping concourse, which includes the Bay department store along with hundreds of other shops and eateries. The Bloor-Yonge TTC subway station - with access to two subway lines - is right underneath the hotel, with indoor access.
The lobby is small and understatedly elegant, with soothing earth tones everywhere. The spacious rooms are very Marriott - not particularly character-filled but attractive and uber-comfortable. The Marriott beds with the cloud-like mattresses and multiple pillows will make you not want to get out of bed.
The marble bathrooms are large and nice, with the usual Marriott bath products and thoughtful extras such as cotton balls and Q-tips.
My only complaint was the labrynthine hallway layout for the rooms. I swear my room was a mile from the elevators!!
I didn't use room service or hotel restaurants because of the wealth of great dining experiences in the multicultural wonderland that is Toronto. The direct subway access allows you to quickly get to the city's many fascinating 'hoods, including the lively Annex just to the west (that's the college neighborhood bordering the Univ. of Toronto), the edgier Queen Street West neighborhood, or the carnival-like cheese and sleaze of central Yonge Street north of the Eaton Center.
And at $61 per night on Priceline, the Marriott was an absolute steal. A great hotel in a fun and fab city.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank michiganmarlon
Reviewed September 26, 2007

We stayed overnight at the Marriott Toronto Bloor Yorkville on September 21, 2007 while in Toronto to see the Beastie Boys at Air Canada Centre. I named my own price on Priceline & got a very nice room for $55. The hotel location is excellent; there is a subway station right next door to the hotel (Bloor-Younge line). it is also connected to the PATH [--] which is an underground walk way with shops & restaurants. Taking the subway to the Union Station stop to get to the Air Canada Centre couldn’t have been easier.

The hotel has a parking garage connected to it offering self parking or valet. We went with self parking which cost $10 a day. Finding your way from the parking garage to the hotel lobby can be confusing, it felt like we were walking through a maze as there were no signs on the walls or doors telling us which direction to go.

Upon check in we were treated very well by Bryan (it’s been my experience when booking a room through Priceline or Hotwire that you aren’t treated that great & are given one of the older rooms). However, Bryan treated us very well; he upgraded our room from 1 king bed to 2 queen beds with no problems (there were 3 of us traveling) & gave us a very nice room (room 105). He also gave us a map of the area & showed us how to get to the Air Canada Centre from the hotel.

Our room was very spacious & clean with updated, modern décor. The bathroom had a nice granite sink, plenty of extra towels & a hairdryer. Complimentary items included: A newspaper, coffee maker with coffee & teas; Bath & Body Works Orange Ginger Aromatherapy toiletries – lotion, shampoo & conditioner; a shoe mitt, shower cap, a little baggie of Qtips & cotton balls, and 2 bars of soap. One bathrobe was also available for use. We all had a great nights sleep, the beds were very comfortable! Our room also had a TV inside a console, a desk, & 2 chairs & a table (with a few local magazines) near the window; the view from the window was a pleasant garden walk way. In room internet access was available for a fee (we didn’t use it so I’m not sure of the cost), a business center was also located on our floor but we didn’t use it either so I cannot provide information on it.

Before heading to the B Boys show we took a walk down Younge Street (which is next to the hotel) & grabbed a bite to eat - there are many shops, restaurants & bars on Younge Street, all within walking distance of the hotel. If you are staying in Toronto for a few days I highly recommend getting a subway Day Pass ($8.50 CAD) which is good for 24 hours of unlimited subway & street car transportation. [--]

The Marriott Toronto Bloor Yorkville is a great hotel, in an excellent location. I was very satisfied with our stay. I would recommend this hotel to others & I would stay there again. If you’re looking for some fun, unique shopping I recommend going to Queen Street West (between University & Spadina). And as I’ve recommended in my other Toronto reviews, I highly suggest taking the street car up to College St. to my favorite Italian restaurant, Cafe Diplomatico (594 College St @ Clinton [--]) you'll love it! We make a point to eat there every time we’re in Toronto. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
10  Thank siouxzy
Reviewed September 12, 2007

I have not been to this hotel previous to its renovation so I cannot comment on what it looked like before.

Pluses:
Rooms were very nice and what I had expected from a Marriott hotel. The granite (or granite inspired) sink area with its mirrored shelves were also nice touch.
The Concierge Lounge is managed in the evening by a girl named Joanne who was very nice and gave lots of great tips for around the city.
Since the hotel is connected to both The Bay shopping area and has direct access to both Hertz and Avis rental cars. Very convienent.

Minuses:
The set up of room was not fully thought through. The desk is perpendicular to the television that is hidden inside the television armoire. So you can't watch TV and work at the desk unless the desk is wheeled to where you can see it. BUT, then the phone with speaker function and provided internet cable is so short that you can't bring that along. I had to find a sweet spot where the phone could sit on one edge of the desk and my laptop could be at the other so I could see the TV. Lastly, if you're in the Inner ring of rooms, your views are all of other guests windows. On top of that, the windows were somewhat opaque, so even in midday, with the sun fully shining, the room was abnormally dark. Needless to say, I kept my curtains shut the whole time with all the lights on.

The downstairs restaurant was disappointing. Hotel dining is usually a big hit or miss. In this case, it was a miss. The room service is from the same kitchen, and although they were kind enough to make me something that wasn't on the menu (a BLT) even that came out disappointing. (How do you mess up a BLT?)

All in all, it was a nice hotel with a nice room. Little problems in room design and lighting. Skip the restaurant. You're in Toronto. Go get find some great food in the city.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business