“Great Fun for Young Families”
Review of Riverdale Farm

Riverdale Farm
Ranked #73 of 536 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Toronto's Riverdale Farm covers 7.5 scenic acres and is a hot spot for families. Along with the wooded areas, ponds and gardens, there are plenty of farm animals to visit. All this and more in the heart of downtown Toronto.
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is one of the best attractions Toronto has to offer for families with young children. The animals all look very healthy and the main farm animals are all represented. I don't know who the lame brain politician or bureaucrat is who recommended its closure a few years ago; this place is the best place in the city for kids. So much to learn for so little.

All reviews
"farm animals"
in 20 reviews
"city kids"
in 5 reviews
"small farm"
in 3 reviews
"hidden gem in the city"
"natural habitat"
"toronto zoo"
in 20 reviews
in 14 reviews

Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife kept mentioning that we should visit the Riverdale Farm and I kept putting it off because it just didn't seem appealing to me. A few weekends later, I finally decided to give it a go after I learned that it was free admittance!

There was free parking on the streets (we went on a weekend) and it was a beautiful day. It's in a very quiet neighbourhood of Cabbage town and I NEVER would have suspected it was so close to downtown. There is a beautiful park just outside of the front entrance where we saw many families playing catch and having a picnic.

We have a 2 year old daughter that though the farm was just fantastic. I've been to a few farms up in Markham and although those farms have more animals to see and offer hay rides etc., this city run farm is magnificent for a city farm. There were cows, horses, sheep, rabbits, a donkey and a few other animals to see and pet. The pig and chicken pens were under construction during our visit, but I'm sure that would have just made our visit more fun. There are nice hiking paths to walk on with young children and many things for them to see and learn.

There are washroom facilities onsite, but I did not notice anywhere to purchase food. There is an ice-cream/snack shop just at the corner which seemed really popular.

We look forward to visiting again in a couple of weeks.

1  Thank Vayne
Reviewed June 4, 2014

An absolute gem in the heart of Toronto... especially for a toddler boy beginning to learn his animal sounds.

We went on a weekday morning and it was quite quiet with the only type of visitors being parents with toddlers. Our son immediately stopped at the two tractors and enjoyed simply walking back and forth between them. While stuck at the tractors with my son, i realised that every toddler boy also stopped for a good length of time at the tractors.

The barn was home to lambs and some of the pens had elevated child accessible platforms overlooking the pens. Most of the other pens around the farm were double fenced. This meant even if our son got his hand through the first fence, there was still another 1-2 feet open space until the second fence (behind the second fence were the animals).

But the surprise of the farm was the toy room. Inside was lots of great farm themed toys included a big barn and many, many toy tractors. It was tough to get our son to leave the toy room.

For lunch we picnicked at one of the picnic tables in the shade. For dessert, we strolled across the park to the little shop at the corner for ice cream (but it also has lunch food as well).

For afternoon nap, i pushed his stroller in the quiet cemetery but could have easily strolled along the beautiful shaded victorian streets of Cabbagetown.

My only concern is that it was very difficult to get to by TTC. It seemed all the nearby routes involved either streetcars or elevator-less subway stations - neither is easy to navigate with a stroller.

We would definitely go again but would probably drive.

5  Thank CoupontheKitty
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Riverdale Farm is a unique place in Toronto. The property still functions as a farm and includes educational experiences for children and adults accustomed to city life. It's also a wonderful place to take in during the spring, summer or fall. The property is located adjacent to Riverdale Park and you can cross over the DVP just past the farm for the best views of the skyline (other than from the island!).

2  Thank interpolation
See more reviews
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I loved my time at Riverdale Farm, despite the cold Toronto weather! Was excellent seeing all the farm animals which all seemed happy and in a fun mood. It helped create a fun, country feel which was a nice change of pace to the rest of Toronto. It is free of charge, although donations are welcome (and worth it in my opinion).

I chose not to do any of the Discovery Walks due to poor weather but will return in warmer months as I imagine they're fantastic when in full bloom. Is a fantastic attraction to take kids to as they get to see all the farm animals without having to venture too far from the city. My favourite parts were the chooks, hyperactive goats and clydesdale horse (which had a special place in my heart due to my Pop once having one)

Definitely recommend a visit - my favourite thing about my time in Cabbagetown!

2  Thank RowMac