“"Toronto's Kitchen Table Neighbourhood"”

Toronto Urban Adventures
Book In Advance
More Info
$36.93*
and up
Small-Group Toronto Beer Tour
Ranked #1 of 268 Nightlife in Toronto
More attraction details
Owner description: Tours about beer, bacon, urban issues, street art and history are our specialty while providing local insight into what makes the city tick and what's cool to see and do in Toronto. Our guides are entertaining and experienced locals who will give you the: Best. Day. Ever.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Tsawwassen, Canada
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“"Toronto's Kitchen Table Neighbourhood"”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

A previous reviewer has given many accolades to the Toronto Urban Adventures Tour and in particular the tour guide Jason. I agree with reviewer "02retired" comments. Jason is student of street art and is very knowledgable about graffiti. We usually view graffit as a negative defacing work on some poor soul's buildings but he explained and showed us the difference between graffiti art and "tagging" graffiti. The graffiti artist is serious about their creation and it is very creative and uses high quality spray paints, often imported from Europe. Whereas the tag graffiti is often in the bubble style and was painted using lower quality spray paints. It was interesting to learn that the street code is that a tagger should not spray a graffiti artist's paintings.There are sometimes notes from one painter to another about their reactions to each others paintings.

Although we had one of the coldest and wet days in Toronto this month, 10 of us were avid followers and listeners as we followed Jason through back lanes and small streets that we would be very unlikely to visit on our own. He took us into interesting shops and restaurants and coffee houses. This is a neighbourhood that rejects any attempt by Starbucks or other food chains to move in, so the local business have a unique and distinct appeal.
Chinatown in this area is still growing and it is authentic and reminded me of Hong Kong in the 1970's. Jason recommend a number of places to eat, ranging from Vietnamese to Chinese and Thai. He pointed out the location of the Blues Club that inspired Dan Akroyd to write the Blues Brothers act.

Overall this is an entertaining and educational tour of a part of Toronto we all thought we knew well but we have never seen the details that Jason showed to us.

2 Thank kolinKiev

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beer histrory”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Jason our guide was knowledgeeable and fun.
My wife and I have lived in Troronto all our (long) lives. Even though we always go to "Doors Open" and belong to the "North Toronto Historical Socioety", we still learned a lot about our city and we can vouch for things we did know about. What a great tour to be offering tourists! The Woman's Temperance Union will cringe when they read this next bit. My wife likes beer but I may have been converted. Jason explained how to appreciate beer, not just chug it. He also was knowledgeable about many things at the St.Lawrence Market where we sampled wine,olive oil, mustards but alas no beer.
Thanks again, Jason

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beer DOES make history better!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I was born and raised in Toronto, yet was surprised by how many sights/attractions/awesomepubs I had never discovered! This 3-4 hour tour takes you from the Hockey Hall of Fame (beer connection...really!), to one of the most beautiful new hot spots in Toronto, the Distillery District. Our tour guide Jason was wonderful - knowledgeable and easy going. Looking forward to trying out the other tours offered through UrbanAdventures.com

Toronto
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Toronto Urban Adventures Tours very good”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We lived in Toronto in our early years and still call it home despite living 50kms away. We decided to start visiting areas that we had not toured for over 30 years and read that this tour company offered a 2 hour walking tour of China Town and Kensington Market two old communities going back 200 + years.

Our guide was Jason who was very knowledgeable of the area and does several tours in the downtown area. We visted areas that we knew little about prior to the 1970's and learned how these two areas grew and developed from inception to their current inhabitants. Very educational and Jason was able to anwer many of my questions and explained why this area did not develope like that of the St Lawrence Market area another interesting tour but very different in both dwellings and population growth. When in Toronto we would strongly recommend this walking tour to get a better understanding of the area.

Sydney
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“SEE A DIFFERENT SIDE OF TORONTO”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have recently returned from a trip to Toronto. I had a spare morning so thought I would do a walking tour of Chinatown and Kensington Markets. The tour guide was Jason and he was marvelous. He is an avid grafitt fan and so we saw lots of examples of fabulous wall art that had been commissioned by shops and I guess councils. It was a small group, mostly locals and we had a lot of fun and found out a lot of information about the area. The history of the Kensington Markets area was really quite fascinating learning about the melting pot of migrants that came and went. I cannot remember the name of the coffee shop that we visited but I have to say it was without a doubt the best coffee I had in both USA and Canada. It was a lot of fun and I would not hesistate in recommending this tour to anyone. Many thanks Jason.

Visited August 2012