“Roy Thomson Hall”

and up
Toronto Downtown Private Walking Tour
Ranked #62 of 542 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Owner description: This curved glass structure, a downtown architectural landmark, is a well-known concert hall.
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Disclaimer: I love the Toronto Symphony and have season tickets with a friend. I love going there as it is very interesting architecturally with "open walls" showing splendid views of the surrounding area and, of course the higher up you go, the more you see of Toronto. The things I dislike about it are minor but can be quite a problem for older, less able,visitors. It is not easy to travel from floor to floor. Even using elevators and escalators, there is walking and stairs (sometimes short, sometimes longer) to be dealt with on every level. I do see older people having problems getting down the stairs after concerts. And there is quite a draught in certain places so I would suggest bringing along a wide scarf or something warm to put around your shoulders. And, of course, there is the usual problem with not enough loos (they are very clean, well looked after) and, again, some of these have steps to go up into them or steps to go down into them. These "ups and downs" may be an interesting architectural feature, but can be a problem for patrons with less mobility. There is one ramp only where one can avoid taking the stairs. It needs more of these. That said, the RTH puts on many interesting programmes and well worth a visit. Ticket prices vary, but the performances do not - they are all high class, excellent musicianship, interesting, powerful and certainly world class. There are also free concerts at lunch time and I would recommend those for vacationers who have little time and want to pack everything into their holidays. There is an excellent store inside the hall. The ushers are very helpful indeed.

All reviews
in 16 reviews
"conductor"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Both Massey and Roy Thompson Halls are the absolute best concert & performance halls in the City of Toronto. Acoustics sans comparison.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had the pleasure of attending a beautiful classical music concert this evening, Saturday, October 19, 2013. It is part of my four-concert series called Light Classics. These concerts are held at Roy Thomson Hall, in the heart of downtown Toronto.

Roy Thomson Hall is an excellent venue in which to hold concerts, of any musical genre. The acoustics are strong, the size of the auditorium is large, and the seats are comfortable. As well, Roy Thomson Hall attracts top-notch talent for all types of musical concerts.

This venue is well-situated, near a wide variety of restaurants, where concert-goers can enjoy either pre- or post-concert meals or snacks.

I highly recommend going to Roy Thomson Hall when one wishes to have a very pleasant afternoon or evening, listening to beautiful music, and seeing excellent performers in action.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I've been a season ticket holder at RTH for over 10 years, so I envision joining the crowds of elders that seem to make up most of their audiences. That's a good feeling, because the Toronto Symphony Orchestra just keeps getting better and better.

The TSO has had its rough patches, we all know that. Under its current direction it is creative, highly skilled and often breathtaking. The TSO puts together a program that is interesting, often surprising, and usually delightful. I even find myself revisiting the performances on CBC.

However, this review is about the venue as well. Roy Thomson Hall is never as full as I think it should be. I assume that many people are unaware of the incredible acoustics and comfort of the hall. In addition, I think that many people aren't aware that it isn't a snobfest. The RTH and the TSO will take you as you are. I admit that I wish people didn't wear jeans, but I appreciate that I don't feel out of place because I'm not in black tie. There's a democracy about that I like. I also like that RTH is trying to make music accessible through its fun programming, kids concerts, and cheaper tickets for the youngsters they hope will age into season ticket holders like me. Sometimes I wish they would shorten the banter from the conductor's pit, but I acknowledge it is part of what makes coming to the symphony fun. And it should be fun - why not?

The concert hall is well-located among restaurants that can satisfy a wide range of tastes and income levels and there is chocolate ice cream and canadian wines for people who want to have a little something with their music.

I will agree with the reviewer that says they should expand the washrooms in any future renovations, but otherwise I would recommend RTH without reservations. It's a wonderful gift to the city of Toronto and a worthwhile visit for people visiting from out of town.

1  Thank Cece W