“A gleaming glass confection of beautifully displayed ceramics spanning 3 floors topped by the Jamie Kennedy restaurant.”
Review of Gardiner Museum

Gardiner Museum
Ranked #80 of 522 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Owner description: This famous museum houses a wide variety of works ranging from pre-Columbian times to the 20th century.
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

The Gardiner whilst small but perfectly formed is the only museum in Canada devoted exclusively to ceramics. A gleaming glass confection of beautifully displayed ceramics spanning 3 floors topped by the Jamie Kennedy restaurant. There are always has myriad temporary thought-provoking exhibitions passing through, in addition to genre related classes and talks, plus it hosts the exquisite Twelve Trees” exhibit at Christmas. Bonus: if you fancy throwing a pot or two, make sure you are in the lobby on Wednesday or Friday evenings a for first-come, first- serve access to the studio beginning at 6pm. They also run on Sundays at 1pm
www.gardinermuseum.on.ca

There are newer reviews for Gardiner Museum

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having been to the ROM numerous times, somehow I never really registered the presence of the near by Gardiner Museum. One night, needing to kill time between events but not wanting to spend money, I came across the Gardiner as an option. It turns out it was free during the run of a special exhibit. It also happened to be International Women's Day so there was a special presentation happening on the third floor. There were some beautiful pieces and now that I'm aware about the offering of classes, I will be visting again. I think the only downside is that the museum is so small, so it took no time to go through everything. I like being a tourist in my own city and would have glady spent more time there if there was more to look at.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

The Gardiner Museum is a few steps around the corner (Queen) from the Royal Ontario Museum (Bloor) in Toronto. It has a pretty large collection of ceramics and porcelain/China mostly from a private collection, the Gardiners. It is usually pretty expensive ($12 entrance for adults) but currently they have a superb special exhibit on art therapy in clay. The women is an artist herself, and you can see her art. But most of it is the often shocking art of women who were abused who are expressing themselves in clay. It is well done,with video documentation, the art with enough comments to understand the intentions, but mostly speaking for itself. The visit to the whole museum is free until beginning of April. For us, this was more interesting than the whole ROM. However, this is time limited - I would not have ranked the regular exhibit that highly although it is fun too - I will never forget the realistic ceramic suitcase - see picture. The special exhibit didn't allow taking photos, so the attached is from the ceramics

Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Gardiner is a wonderful place to visit. I go as often as I can! A great variety of innovative works all done in pottery. The gift shop is fantastic, I have bought many a present there!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

English is a second language to the wife and I so we would like to thank "Ray" who was at the front desk. He was very patient and took his time to explain the collection to us. He was very friendly and the next time we are in the country we would definitely visit the Gardiner again!