“you only get what you pay for”
Review of Alexandra Hotel

Alexandra Hotel
Ranked #96 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed here for one night. We chose it for its close location to public transport and fairly close accessibility to the theater district by walking. The price was also very reasonable for downtown Toronto. My first impression was it was a nickel and dime operation. When checking in, I observed an interaction whereby a visitor of a guest staying at the hotel asked about parking in the lot for two hours and was told he had to pay the full price for parking ($5. 00 + plus tax) whether he spent 5 minutes or 12 hours. As a plus, this hotel did have an elevator, but when I went upstairs to our unit, the place reminded me of a low rent long term residence with multiple cooking scents in the hallway and somewhat noisy environment. In terms of our unit, It was difficult to navigate around the room, as the kitchen area, dining table and bed were compressed into one little room. The bed was about a foot or two away from the kitchen area, so you would literally roll out of bed into the kitchen area. The room was clean but very antiquated in terms of the tv, window coverings and smoke detector device. I would say the room furnishings and bedding were below standard. The room had a musty smell. With the window open we used the stove and the fire alarm went off. We tried to turn it off but could not figure out how to do so. When we called reception, they did not seem to know where the smoke detector was and therefore were not helpful in helping us turn it off. Someone from reception did come up on our request and fiddled with it, but by this time, I believe the air was clear and the alarm shut down on its own. He said that when you use the stove you should leave the window and door open to avoid the alarm going off; if this was the case it should have been posted to alert you. When we checked out, the reception clerk accused us of breaking the fire alarm detector. She also did not know about the location of the fire alarm in the room as she said it was by the window but in actuality it was by the front door. I believe some of the units were upgraded and this may have caused the confusion. Staying here one night was tolerable but I would not recommend a longer stay. I found it to be depressing and would not recommend it. The location was a plus. Another plus was sufficient on site parking.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank AlamedaYankeegal
Joe M, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Hello, and thank you for the detailed review. Each room is equipped with a smoke detector (near the window) and a heat detector (near the door). Smoke from cooking can cause the smoke detector near the window to beep, but it is a safety measure mandated by the fire department to ensure guests know if there is smoke in the room - it does not trigger a fire alarm. Generally we do not receive complaints about the smoke detector or fire alarm because they are important to ensure guest safety. Thanks to your review we will ensure our front desk clerks and other staff know how to respond to such complaints in the future.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

stayed for 2 nights. Location is great walking distance to download. I used the bixi bike (there are two station near by) I have no problem walk around at night. it's next to park / school. you can park at the hotel for $5 (CAD). At first we got a smoking room on 4th floor... the lady told us it wasn't smoking, but my wife couldn't stand so we ask to for another room. To our suprise the room faces south got awesome view of the downtown. if we ever visit Toronto we'll stay here again and request a south view, if you want a view of the CN tower.

Room Tip: south view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bob T

Thanks for the review! Our location can't be beat, and we are constantly striving to improve our accommodations.

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

CONS- not an actual hotel, I expected more like shampoo and conditioner. the room was not clean, there was hair and urine in the toilet seat when we arrived, stains and more hair on the bed sheets.
PROS- excellent location for getting around downtown Toronto, and from desk lady was super nice and informative. the shower had good pressure.
I'd recommend this hotel more towards a backpacker then to the average traveller.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank littlemego
Joe M, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm terribly sorry about the housekeeping problem with your room. We try our best to keep the rooms clean and we were not made aware of any recent problems. Generally our guests find our rooms clean, and most of our reviews reflect that. Thanks for making us aware of your concerns - we will review our housekeeping procedures to ensure this won't happen again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My son and I stayed here two nights. The hotel is sparse, but it has everything you need. Each room has a fridge, stovetop, dishes, and utensils. My only "complaint" is that you pay per person, and I felt that my son (age 4) didn't merit the "full" person charge. Otherwise, this was a bargain, and the location is a DREAM! We were able to walk almost everywhere, and used transit for the rest. This isn't a fancy hotel; it's very basic, but a great value. Yes, the building and its interior are "tired", but I've stayed in worse and paid much more for a location on the outskirts of the city, so this is still a bargain. The area is very safe; we even walked back to the hotel in the dark after dinner at Kensington Market, and I would do so again. Very vibrant local community (on the fringe of Chinatown), so we saw lots of activity in the park while we were there; tai chi, ballroom dancing lessons, sports, and more. Most memorable was the SERVICE! Granted, we didn't need much, but the staff was very responsive, and even let us leave our car there for the entire day after we checked out; this alone saved me $30, which I would have had to pay elsewhere. I will stay here again, especially in warmer weather. If travelling alone, I would hesitate in the winter months, as the room is too small for a child to spend a lot of time in. And yes, parking is a measly $5 a day... But I've stayed at other high-end hotels while in Toronto, and they charge $20+ a night for parking, on top of the room rate... $5 a night? Yes please!

Room Tip: South-facing rooms on upper floors (5 or 6) face the city, and you'll have a nice skyline view...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank GreenGalTraveling
Joe M, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thanks for the detailed review! We appreciate hearing from satisfied customers. The Alexandra Hotel is in a great part of town to visit and we get lots of positive feedback about the area from our guests. We are right next to a park, near many interesting neighborhoods, there's a nearby community theater, and of course there are many places to shop, eat and drink within walking distance.

Regarding the pricing, we do charge by occupancy but the price is the same for one or two people. We like to keep things simple! It's only when people rent a room for three adults that we have a small extra charge.

Hope you can stay with us again!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is not a fancy hotel and is outdated in the sense that there is a tuve tv instead of a flatscreen and the building is not up to par with other modern hotels. But if you go to another city for fun and not to stay in a hotel room, this will be fine. The room comes with a nice sized frigde, microwave, enough dishware for two people and even a stovetop. Perfect for students or anyone travelling on a budget. Queen street is a 2 min walk, made it to the Rogers centre on foot in 20 minutes so no need for cabs. Given how ridiculously expensive things are in Toronto I would not hesitate spending another couple nights here. The room has an ac unit on the window that is controlled by a switch in the room. Worked extremely well almost made the room too cold. I would never pay double the price for a more modern or mainstream hotel as long as there was an alternative like the Alexandra.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adamson07
Joe M, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thanks for the positive comments! We're always happy to hear from satisfied customers. It's true we do have old TVs, but we are replacing them with new models as needed. Glad you found the location convenient and we look forward to you returning!

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Spent one night. The bed had a funny smell ... and as a result I was reluctant to get under the covers.

The AC unit was very loud and there was a lot of noise coming from the nearby skate park.

The location is great , especially if you need to get to the Billy Bishop airport

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank SaintBarabbas

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I apologize for the shortcomings with the room - we generally don't get complaints about the bedding and would have fixed any problems with your room had we been aware. But I'm glad you found the location convenient and I hope we can do better for you in the future.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a basic, spartan hotel which was totally ok with me. There are plenty of places in Toronto for double the cost which offer a more traditional experience.

The location is INSANE. Probably the best in all of Toronto. So many shops and restaurants, and parking is very easy and convenient. Yes, its $5 a day, but good luck even finding parking in that neighborhood at all. The staff was chill and friendly and they had lots of resources (maps, brochures, snacks). They said there was a deposit for the hair dryer but they just let me use it, not problems. Also let us leave the car for the afternoon after checkout.

The cost for the room on Saturday night was $130, which was pretty steep but its the same as like the Howard Johnson nearby. Otherwise $80 during the week is super reasonable. There is a little kitchenette and the room and bathroom are huge for being downtown in a city. The biggest thing is that the room is meticulously cleaned, no bugs, no mold. The only weird thing is that there was a lot of long, black hairs. I think they need to be more diligent about that. The windows opened wide and had a nice view of the park.

I would happily stay here again and recommend this place to other people.

Room Tip: We stayed in 601...good room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank powerrose
Joe M, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Thanks for the recommendation! We're happy you found the hotel to your liking and we will endeavor to improve our housekeeping. Hope you can stay with us again.