All reviews kensington market toronto western hospital double bed and one single bed minute walk cn tower friendly reception public transportation small fridge within walking distance air conditioning free internet amazing location front desk staff convenient location toaster bathurst downtown
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Nice, friendly and comfortable.

Located near the China town - about 30 min by walk from city center and Railway station.
A lot of places to eat in the neighborhood.

The room was not very big but with the kitchen and bathroom.
Laundry on the floor.
Very friendly and helpful staff.

Enjoyed the stay. Can recommend to everyone.

Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Alexander_StPete
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2011

We appreciate your recommendation! There are many fine restaurants within walking distance, and our staff is always willing to help people find their way around the city. Glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed September 2, 2011

Do not be put off by the exterior of this hotel - it is better inside. Not in anyway luxurious but clean & tidy. Our room was quiet spacious, the bathroom was clean & the staff friendly - cant really ask for more for the price.

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Blondethoughts

Thanks blondethoughts! We try to focus on the basics here - cleanliness, comfort and affordability. Hope you stay again next time you come to Toronto.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

I arrived here after leaving my previous accommodation in disgust. The Alexandra made my feel much better about my stay in Toronto. Location was acceptable (I like to walk) but transport was nearby.

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Tony U
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Thank you for the positive review. We hope you stay again next time you are in town!

Reviewed August 16, 2011

My boyfriend and I originally booked the Grange hotel, but upon arriving we were told that the parking lot was full and that we would have to stay at the Alexandra, about a block and a half away. This seemed fine, as the Grange was across the street from a kind of sketchy area, and the Alexandra is up the street from a theatre and right next to a park. The person in the Lobby was very friendly and we recieved the keys to our room right away. Upon getting to our room - it was pretty standard. There were 2 beds a small kitchenette and a bathroom - very no frills but it suited our needs. The only complaint I would have is that the next morning, my boyfriend found a bug in the bed, that looked like a small beetle. He put it in a cup and went to speak to the manager. Instead he was told to come back at check out and that a manager would deal with it then. When we were checking out my boyfriend spoke to the manager, who told him that the bug was a spider (which is was clearly not) and that that was that. Otherwise the hotel was fine, but because of this experience, I probably wouldn't stay there again.

Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank ScoobCW
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

We do appreciate it when our guests bring up any concerns they have during their stay, and unfortunately during the summer the occasional bug (beetle or spider) does sneak in. We do our best to keep our rooms clean and comfortable and our guests happy, and I'm sorry if we were less than satisfactory in that regard during your stay here.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

It's nice. It's a hotel where the focus is on the purpose of your trip. In other words, we were in Toronto to see Toronto, not for a hotel experience. It feels like a former college dormitory (a hospital is situated about one block north...could it have been a residence for nursing students)? I was entertained by the co-ed softball game in the adjacent park one evening, and the men's soccer game the following evening.

Two short blocks to the south you will find Queen St, a major east-west thoroughfare with frequent public transportation, although if you like to walk (we do) you'll find that downtown to, for example, the CN Tower takes only 35-40 minutes. I personally feel one only gets the flavor of a city by walking around, so going to the city center on foot was pleasurable, You can go on one of the sightseeing tours ($35-$45) or get an all-day public transportation pass ($10.00) and a public transportation map and design your own tour. You choose.

One block north (through the park) and you're in Chinatown where we had dinner several times. You might want to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables at the open markets there. Most city-located hotels don't provide a free Continental breakfast...this hotel gives you the opportunity to have breakfast in your room taking advantage of the refridgerator/stove/sink.

Others have commented that the neighborhood makes them a little uneasy but I never felt that way; the parking is free and adequate; we mistakenly failed to lock our car door one day and I was not surprised to find everything untouched.

I was completely satisfied and I would stay there again.

Room tip: ask for a high south side room to get a good view of the CN tower
Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank nfl_reject

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Toronto and found the location convenient. The Alexandra Hotel was never a dormitory but it was, at one time, an apartment building. This is why all the units are self-contained and private.

Toronto is a great city for walking, and I always recommend guests check out the area on foot, as some of Toronto's most interesting neighborhoods (Kensington Market, Chinatown, Little Italy, The Annex, etc.) are within walking distance from our hotel.