“only if you have to”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Global Village Backpackers
Ranked #54 of 97 Specialty Lodging in Toronto
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“only if you have to”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The building and facilities are extremely run down, and personal space is non existent in the dorms. I stayed in the 8 bed dorm room for 1 week and while I didn't have a horrible experience, it wasn't great either.

Worst things being the TINY shower stalls which barely give you space to dry off and clothe before you step out of the stall into public space. My room was right on the corner of West King St and Spadina Ave, so the noise from the street cars was constant. Other people said rooms located to the back of the property were quieter but had the noise from people drinking at the downstairs bar (which is always busy on weekends) so sleep is hard to catch. Also there is no airconditioning in the rooms, so if you're coming in summer better hope there isn't a heat wave!

The staff are the saving grace of this place, they are friendly and helpful. Having the bar downstairs is a great feature, weeknights it's mostly just people staying in the hostel so just ask if you can sit at someone's table and strike up a conversation. I made friends with a lot of people in this fashion and we all went out bar hopping and did some daytime stuff together, since I'm travelling alone that was really good.

I've also stayed in the Planet Traveler's Hostel and that has been world's better. I get the feeling anywhere is...

Room Tip: At the back of the hostel away from the street
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We booked 2 nights with 3 people in a private room and arrived at 11 pm: stayed for 1 night and left as early as possible.
When we came to our room: there were hair and weired spots on the sheets, the smell of old, dirty things, rubbish laying around, dirty floor and so on. We asked the friendly staff to please vacuum and clean our room ( seemed, that it hasn't been done yet) and bring new sheets. they were very helpful and nice, but even the "new" sheets were dirty and had a strange yellowish color! Yhuck! The whole room (and all the others we glimpsed in) we're dirty and need to be renovated ASAP. The bunkbeds are so noisy, that none of us three was able to sleep. most of the showers and toilets are out of order and everywhere the dirt stares right into your face.
Next morning we asked, if we can get a refund for the upcoming night and leave the hostel: it was not a problem at all and we got a full refund, without even questions asked...it seems to happen quite often ;)

Good thing: pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast and an unbeatable central location.

Our travel tip: if you don't mind living a bit outside near the international airport, you can find great hotel deals! For two nights for us three we just spend 40 $ more in total than in the global village BP, but stay in the Courtyard Marriott Hotel with pool, fitness area and an amazing room with two queen beds! These 13$ p. p. are absolutely worth it!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Zug, Schweiz
Reviewed July 24, 2013

With my review I don't want to offend anyone. Its mainly criticism about the condition of the hostel and NOT about the staff.

I always wanted to travel to Canada. My dream came true and I was able to took off 4 weeks of vacation from work. To see more of the country itself I booked the Schooner tour via the Moose Travel Network (which was awesome!). They offered me to stay at the Global Village Backpackers for the first 3 days I was in Toronto until the tour starts to a descent price (Now I know why). At this point I would recommend everyone to book another hostel instead (e.g. Canadiana Backpackers Inn, which is a pick up spot of the tour bus as well)

My flight had 3,5 hrs delay, which was departing from London Heathrow airport, so I came in late around 01:30 a.m. All you want at that time is a good bed in a more or less clean room.

The receptionist (staff in general) was really nice and did an awesome job! After I received the linen and towell I directly went up upstairs. The stairway was pretty shabby and tended to be inclined to the left side. As soon I entered the bed room an intense smell of urine came up my nose. It was sooo disgusting. Finally I ended up lying on the top of a shaky double bed. This was my first night in Toronto and my first impression of a canadian hostel. I still decided to stay at the GVB for two more nights, but already booked a hotel for the time after the tour was finished.

Not everything was bad in general. The patio in the backyard was amazing! It was a good spot to meet new people, having a beer with them for a reasonable price! Also the living area, which had huge pool table was really nice and convenient. Every morning the staff served you a good breakfast (pancakes, toast, cereals, coffee, etc.), which I really enjoyed.

On every stop of our trip through the east of Canada we stopped at some great hostels! I guess this one was just the one out of a million you should not stay for the first time being in Canada. It definitely can give you a wrong impression of canadian hostelry.

In the end I have to say I had the time of my life in Canada so far and I am pretty sure If the owner(s) of the Global Village Backpackers is / are willing to invest money into their hostel it will get better ratings from guests soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Toronto
Reviewed July 17, 2013

A: So they have two locations, and one closes early. B: But they don't tell you this. C: Even if you tell them you are arriving late (after 7pm is considered "late"). D: So, instead they expect you to go to your hostel (the address is slightly wrong on many listings) E: Then read a tiny sign telling you to go across the city somewhere else to pick up your key. F: Then you get your key there. G: Then you have to walk all the way back.

I got to step F then told them what I thought of them ... using a word also beginning with F.

Verdict: DO. NOT. STAY. HERE.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I have no issues with the staff. My disdaine is related to the accommodation itself.

1) the place is falling apart & because they lease the property they don't spend money maintaining the showers or anything else.

2) the beds are the worst I've slept on. Period.

3) the under sheet provided didn't fit the mattress = useless

4) the hostel is located next to a 24hr tram service that meant no sleep.

5) when I entered the room I found 2 broken fans. Why these were not disposed of, I haven't a clue.

6) the bathrooms are shocking. The showers are so crap I got out as quickly as possible & discovered that there's no privacy when you get out of the shower. The 'shower' managed Luke warm at best. I had to turn the second shower on to stop the first from making strange sounds & strange movements.

7) there is 1 male & 1 female toilet to service an entire floor. Each room has on average 6 people per room. Approx 12 rooms per floor = pathetic

8) bottom basement recently flooded. Unavoidable? Yes. Mopped recently? No. = horrible smells, wet floors, no fun.

9) lockers located in basement. $5 deposit & 99c charge per day. Staff must assist in opening locked door to basement each time. = bloody annoying if you're forgetful.

10) no alcohol allowed because they have a bar = more expense for budget travelers.

11) bathrooms were dirty when I went for a shower at 7:30am. I had some company. Black hairs at my feet. = yes it's part of traveling but still... Yuck.

The girls were cleaning the ladies at the time & due to a time commitment I couldn't wait for the bathroom to be cleaned. Am sure had I waited the hairs would have gone. At least I hope so!

Positive note:
1) The Aussie from Melbourne who cooked pancakes for breakfast. Good guy, nice pancakes.

Conclusion: after 1 night of a 3 night booking I am checking out. Luckily I have a friends couch to crash on.

I've travelled extensively & battled through some dumps called accommodation & this place is up there with the worst of the worst. I'd hate to stay here in the winter. You'd freeze to death!

Spend some money on renovations or close the place down. Otherwise you'll go out of business in a short period of time.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Niall O
Brightlingsea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This hostel was due to be our first stop on a 10 city tour of Canada and the US with my boyfriend and even though the reviews were pretty bad I was attracted by the cheap price and good location.
After 13hours of travelling I was looking forward to a hot shower and, more than anything, a chance to brush my teeth. I think, in my overtired state, I overlooked the shabby reception interior with the prospect of cleanliness once we got upstairs.
However, what I couldnt overlook was the distinct smell of urine in the hallways and up the stairs. Or the shabby and dirty aesthetic. Or the out of order toilet. Or the dirty and smelly shower. Or the hard bed. Or the plug sockets located halfway up the wall. I certainly couldnt overlook the lack of bathroom to brush my teeth in!

So we decided to get out and found a much nicer hostel called Planet Traveller located slightly further out but worth the extra cost by miles!!

Perhaps the only positive comment I can provide, except for the location, was the discretion of the receptionist when we decided to leave. She gave us a full refund without any questions asked. Although, to me, it seemed a little odd that she did not question our reason for leaving...as if it were a regular occurrence?!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Tarch333
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Teeny showers, not much offered at breakfast, and a lot of old stairs to climb. But those are more than compensated for with the fantastic location, the bar downstairs (!!!!!) with cheap drinks, free wi-fi and computers, activities going on when it's cold/raining, and the really friendly staff who just made me feel so welcome.

The value of this place is brilliant, and there's just a fantastic sense of community, which is really one of the best things you can hope for as a traveller.