“They hate you”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Global Village Backpackers
Ranked #52 of 104 Specialty Lodging in Toronto
Reviewed July 17, 2013

A: So they have two locations, and one closes early. B: But they don't tell you this. C: Even if you tell them you are arriving late (after 7pm is considered "late"). D: So, instead they expect you to go to your hostel (the address is slightly wrong on many listings) E: Then read a tiny sign telling you to go across the city somewhere else to pick up your key. F: Then you get your key there. G: Then you have to walk all the way back.

I got to step F then told them what I thought of them ... using a word also beginning with F.

Verdict: DO. NOT. STAY. HERE.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Global Village Backpackers

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I have no issues with the staff. My disdaine is related to the accommodation itself.

1) the place is falling apart & because they lease the property they don't spend money maintaining the showers or anything else.

2) the beds are the worst I've slept on. Period.

3) the under sheet provided didn't fit the mattress = useless

4) the hostel is located next to a 24hr tram service that meant no sleep.

5) when I entered the room I found 2 broken fans. Why these were not disposed of, I haven't a clue.

6) the bathrooms are shocking. The showers are so crap I got out as quickly as possible & discovered that there's no privacy when you get out of the shower. The 'shower' managed Luke warm at best. I had to turn the second shower on to stop the first from making strange sounds & strange movements.

7) there is 1 male & 1 female toilet to service an entire floor. Each room has on average 6 people per room. Approx 12 rooms per floor = pathetic

8) bottom basement recently flooded. Unavoidable? Yes. Mopped recently? No. = horrible smells, wet floors, no fun.

9) lockers located in basement. $5 deposit & 99c charge per day. Staff must assist in opening locked door to basement each time. = bloody annoying if you're forgetful.

10) no alcohol allowed because they have a bar = more expense for budget travelers.

11) bathrooms were dirty when I went for a shower at 7:30am. I had some company. Black hairs at my feet. = yes it's part of traveling but still... Yuck.

The girls were cleaning the ladies at the time & due to a time commitment I couldn't wait for the bathroom to be cleaned. Am sure had I waited the hairs would have gone. At least I hope so!

Positive note:
1) The Aussie from Melbourne who cooked pancakes for breakfast. Good guy, nice pancakes.

Conclusion: after 1 night of a 3 night booking I am checking out. Luckily I have a friends couch to crash on.

I've travelled extensively & battled through some dumps called accommodation & this place is up there with the worst of the worst. I'd hate to stay here in the winter. You'd freeze to death!

Spend some money on renovations or close the place down. Otherwise you'll go out of business in a short period of time.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Niall O
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This hostel was due to be our first stop on a 10 city tour of Canada and the US with my boyfriend and even though the reviews were pretty bad I was attracted by the cheap price and good location.
After 13hours of travelling I was looking forward to a hot shower and, more than anything, a chance to brush my teeth. I think, in my overtired state, I overlooked the shabby reception interior with the prospect of cleanliness once we got upstairs.
However, what I couldnt overlook was the distinct smell of urine in the hallways and up the stairs. Or the shabby and dirty aesthetic. Or the out of order toilet. Or the dirty and smelly shower. Or the hard bed. Or the plug sockets located halfway up the wall. I certainly couldnt overlook the lack of bathroom to brush my teeth in!

So we decided to get out and found a much nicer hostel called Planet Traveller located slightly further out but worth the extra cost by miles!!

Perhaps the only positive comment I can provide, except for the location, was the discretion of the receptionist when we decided to leave. She gave us a full refund without any questions asked. Although, to me, it seemed a little odd that she did not question our reason for leaving...as if it were a regular occurrence?!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Tarch333
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Teeny showers, not much offered at breakfast, and a lot of old stairs to climb. But those are more than compensated for with the fantastic location, the bar downstairs (!!!!!) with cheap drinks, free wi-fi and computers, activities going on when it's cold/raining, and the really friendly staff who just made me feel so welcome.

The value of this place is brilliant, and there's just a fantastic sense of community, which is really one of the best things you can hope for as a traveller.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend getaway with a few friends. Location was great, but overall, there is a lot of improvement needed. The stairwell leading up to the guest rooms stinks of urine due its proximity to a mens bathroom. They've either got to do something with the plumbing to get rid of the smell or close that bathroom all together and cinderblock the door so you can't smell it anymore.

Every corner of the hostel showed its age. The sheets were threadbare, any quiet common area, the furniture was on its last leg, the showers were something less to be desired.

I attempted to use the shower on my floor but the sounds coming out of it made it seem like the pipes were going to burst. When I tried to adjust the temp, the hot water completely stopped working and it was a trickle of ice cold water. I ended up finding a somewhat decent shower on a different floor.

Breakfast was not a breakfast. It was lumpy pancakes and rice crispies. I skipped breakfast and went to Tims down the street.

Despite being able to feel the springs through the mattress I slept decent all 3 nights I was there.

The bar was good, excellent bar staff. The patio looks as though it is great when the weather is nicer.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. Unless it was my only option.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Location is great,on the edge of fashion district, central to the kensington markets and lake. cleanliness is on the down side, bathrooms are grotty. Nice outdoor bar and pool table area. would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 10Jake10
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have stayed at a lot of hostels over the past few years and this one is the worst. I have not experienced a place so bad, the smell of urine in the hallways, no toilet paper in washrooms, showers were not cleaned the weekend I was there. The power went off nightly, not sure what was going on, but the longest it was off about 1 hour. Don't stay here, I read the reviews before I stayed here and said it couldn't be that bad, well it is.

• Stayed: April 2013