“Worth the money and great place to meet new friends”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Global Village Backpackers
Ranked #52 of 104 Specialty Lodging in Toronto
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Well this place is amazing .i had a blast there .a great place to socialize and meet new people .everybody is friendly and location is right in the heart of the city . If u wanna have fun and enjoy ur time in the city this place is more than worth ur money . The staff are really helpful especially helena .this girl deserves a pay rise . Couldnt do enough for people .always there when u needed her .the bar staff and everybody else that works there works well as ateam .i would definatly stay there again and gonna miss my days on the patio .thanks for all your help ..

• Stayed: August 2012
There are newer reviews for Global Village Backpackers

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Toronto was such an amazing city, with fantastic tourist attractions, places to eat and unusual activities for two people in their early 20's.

The global backpackers village however, was to put it nicely - awful.

Aside from the numerous bed bites I had from my face down to the backs of my legs, I had to use my own t-shirt OVER the top of the pillowcase because it was SO stained, I had to buy my own towel because not one member of staff explained they had towels their for guests (Not that I would want to use one if it was in the same condition as the bed sheets), I had to constantly go back down three flights of stairs to ask the person on reception to fix the 'security' swipe card they gave me for my door, I had to avoid touching the mouldy green shower curtain in the girls bathroom and the smell of damp in the hallways and the bedrooms put me off sleeping.

I have stayed in numerous hostels before - in Italy, Prague, UK etc etc and none of them were as filthy as this one. I am not even a fussy person either, but the thin mattress and human hair covered carpets were a step too far.

The only positives I can honestly find from staying here is the fact you get pancakes in the morning, there is a place to keep luggage if you want to go into the city, check out time is late and there is an outside area when it is hot.

Yes it was a cheap place to stay but in all honestly I think the place needs knocking down and starting again.

I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank FJH6
Reviewed August 1, 2012

For CAD$ 30 a night You cant complain! you pay for what you get!
The staff is friendly and very helpfull. They "clean" once a day. Are you are person that are sinsitive to filth and dirt do not stay here. Not unusual to find hair from the person that showered before you in the showerroom. Im glad there are separated showers! There is a popular backyard with a bar that are very popular. So popular is the bar that it's not unusual to see local slutts picking up lonely male travellers for a free drink or to in return for some romance in one of the cubicals at the unisextoilette situated behind the kitchen, maybe thats why GVB offers complimentary condoms over the reception desk? The rooms are dirthy, without AC and airfreshner, sleeping can be a challenge at nights. And with noisy bunkbeds doesent makes it better trying to sleep. But for a small amount a night and with great location:- overall a filthy but entertaining experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Contessa67
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Since it's all share bathroom, it's not quite clean. Also, there is no locker that you can lock your precious stuff. Anyways, the room is quite nice, at least reasonable for the price. The location of the hostel is awesome. They have their own patio with a nice bar with cheap beer or you can just step outside to get the other restaurant, bar or whatever you want easily.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I'm not usually bothered writing reviews of places i've stayed, but I felt that GVB deserved a review! I had originally booked in for just 5 nights, but ended up spending my whole trip here! (25 nights). The rooms probably aren't the most comfortable in Toronto, but for the price they are definitely the best value. The staff are great, they are all really helpful and friendly. Its location is really handy too, right beside the streetcar, very close to the subway and only at max a 30 minute walk to anywhere you'd want to go! The bar downstairs is really great too, and one of the cheapest i could find in Toronto! I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone looking for a hostel in Toronto.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed in GVB at the start of July & really enjoyed it. The location is brilliant, really close to everything I wanted to see in Toronto. I was travelling by myself & stayed in a 4 bed dorm.
The patio bar was great craic, it’s a great place to meet people. There was a good mix of people passing through & people staying there longer term.
The staff were really helpful, I had to change my booking as I ended up staying with family for a day longer than planned but the girls on the front desk sorted it out no problem. I would definitely stay in GVB again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very friendly and welcoming crowd here. The staff are excellent and do their best to make the most out of your stay. Perhaps, however, air con and air fresheners in the rooms (particularly during this hot summer period) could make the nights sleep slightly more bearable...

If you are a clean freak don't stay here, but if you want value for money it's definitely that!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo