Global Village Backpackers
$249
$219
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very friendly and welcoming crowd here. The staff are excellent and do their best to make the most out of your stay. Perhaps, however, air con and air fresheners in the rooms (particularly during this hot summer period) could make the nights sleep slightly more bearable...

If you are a clean freak don't stay here, but if you want value for money it's definitely that!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Rarely do I take the time to write bad reviews on places I stay - but i would take the time for this one!

The website look fantastic - but dont be fooled. I arrived early 2012.

The rooms are old, carpet stained, squeeky beds, well used pillows, tiny, non hygenic bathrooms. My plans quickly changed to find alternative accomodation after staying 3 days. We arrived to all personal lockers being broken and had to risk leaving our bags in a publically accessable area (including those not guests at the hotel).

One night saw three drunk people who were not guests make their way up towards the rooms where checking for unlocked doors.

I would suggest looking into the Canadiana hostel - great downtown location.

BUT: Leaving on a positive note - great Location and staff. A very large investment in new bathrooms, fixtures, security and general building maintenance would see this to be an amazing place - alot of work to do meantime.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julz155019
YouthHostel, Owner at Global Village Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Global Village Backpackers. I see in your review that you arrived early in 2012 however the review was posted June, though I am not certain why there was a delay.

Since early 2012 we have undergone renovations and the lockers are now fully operational and provide full security for your belongings. Also, our cleaning staff go through each washroom a minimum of twice per day. I am not certain how you could determine that the people you saw were not guests (only staff have access to the guest list) since the hostel is staffed 24 hours per day and all rooms have swipe card security.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the staff and please note that we are continuing our renovations each and every month. Thanks again.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I had to stay at GVB due to circumstances beyond my control, and found it to be a very enlightening experience. Didn't partake in meals or bar service (too young), so no comment on quality, but staff at desk were very helpful. Accidentally left cell phone in room, very courteously kept it for me to pick up.

All in all, very good experience. I would recommend GVB to anyone who wishes for a cheap place to stay in YYZ.

Room Tip: Rooms away from King St should be quieter. Stayed in Rm 120 (facing onto King St), kept awake by constant horn usage/streetcars going past.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Pretty good value for money and has a good bar but the bathrooms are very cramped and small and not clean. Bedrooms are large and ok.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 3, 2012

The hostel has both good and bad points which I'll attempt to sum up;

Good: Rooms are cheap, location is right in the heart of downtown and easy to get anywhere you want to go, the pancake breakfast is awesome and the bar is reasonably priced and good for meeting fellow travellers. The free internet access is also a bonus.

Bad: The website states the hostel has a restaurant which it doesn't and lockers for your valuables, however, these are all broken. The swipe cards are also quite temperamental and I had problems on several days with this although it has to be said the fron-desk staff were always very helpful in sorting out these issues.

Overall, you egt what you pay for with this hostel, it's cheap and it's downtown.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Jonny627
YouthHostel, Owner at Global Village Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Hi Johnny627--thanks for your review. Your timing about the website is pretty good since we are literally launching our new site this week (in fact it may be up now). We did have a restaurant this past summer, but you are correct in saying that is was not open during your stay with us. My apologies for that issue.

I also want to apologize about the lockers--we are trying to track down the older style locks which are difficult to find. We expect to have them repaired shortly. Also, the swipe card system can be an issue when the cards are next to a cell phone or if damaged by another guest in the room by accident.

We look forward to seeing you here again!