“Was glad to see the back of this place!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Global Village Backpackers
Ranked #55 of 100 Specialty Lodging in Toronto
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“Was glad to see the back of this place!!”
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Me & my bf stayed here in June 2010, luckily we had only booked 2 nights here as it was absolutly awful!!! (Check out the Canadiana for an awesome hostel) Global village is to be honest the worst place ive ever stayed, it was dirty with sludgy manky shower floors. We both got separated and had to stay in different rooms. My room luckily wasnt too bad but my boyfriend got stuck in a tiny stinky room and was unable to change. I would NEVER go back here!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I have stayed in this hostel twice now, once in 2009 and again in 2010. Both times I stayed there the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The hostel is within a 5 minute walk from the bus drop off from the airport which was very convenient and only 15 minutes from 'main Toronto' (e.g shopping centre, ROM etc).

Reception provides free maps which show a selection of places of interest as well as places where you can buy food. As other reviewers have noted food and drink are not allowed in the rooms themselves although the hostel does provide a kitchen where you can leave your food. When staying we had water in our room and they didn't seem to mind.

When we stayed in 2009 there was some slight water damage in our room, which when we told the front desk was immediately investigated which was brilliant considering it was the height of tourist season.

The breakfast has improved since our first visit there - now serving pancakes and a small choice of breakfast cereals. Its not the best in the world but if you are after something quick just before you spend the day exploring or sight seeing it does the job.

Internet was faster than I expected it to be - unfortunately only having 2 computer terminals meant there was sometimes quite a wait for them but that is only to be expected.

The rooms weren't the cleanest in the world but they served thier purpose. The sheets appeared to have been freshly changed and towels were provided on check-in. Bathroom facilities weren't brilliant - but then this is an older building so some old age is bound to show. It is true that at times you might have to wait for one to become available but then when you are using a communal bathroom that is to be expected.

The major downside here was that there was no air-con in the rooms so it could get a bit stuffy, having the window open when you are in your room and closing it when wanting to sleep is a simple solution though.

All in all I would be willing to stay here again as it is reasonable value for the cost.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Well placed hostel, reasonably priced and clean.
Pos +: Staff a bit hit and miss but generally helpful. Good place to meet other travelers, free internet and wifi, busy bar but noise doesn't carry up to rooms.
Neg - : Bunk beds can be noisy as mattresses are placed directly onto metal bed supports meaning that everytime the person moves, the bed creaks! If you have the option, pick a top bunk!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Please can we have more mugs and cereal bowls? There are only eight of each (as far as I can see) but the dining room seats 15 people so there are nowhere near enough. Now that the hostel is busy there are regularly twenty people in the dining room when I come down for breakfast but people are having to wait ages before they can start eating/drinking. No one minds waiting for pancakes because there is only one person making them but is ridiculous to not be able to make a hot drink or have some rice krispies. As the hostel is virtually next door to Dollarama surely a member of staff can easily solve this problem, and at little cost. Hopefully this will be sorted out in the near future :-)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Yellowknife
Reviewed January 16, 2011

Myself and my partner just stayed at the Global Village for two nights while in Toronto for two days. This was my first stay in a hostel, so perhaps it was an amazing hostel, perhaps not. I don't have much to compare it to. I did consider it a great location, close to subways, shopping, CN Tower etc. I had to lock up my belongings until our room was ready. I did not feel safe doing so because 99.9 percent of the locks on the lockers were broken off and it took us quite some time to find a working one. You were not allowed food in the rooms, which was strange. I did not want to eat in a kitchen full of other guests, so we ate out. The window in the room could not shut properly, and there were cigarette ashes all over it.The front desk staff were "okay". They answered questions, and were friendly but nothing exceptional. The rate for a private room I think is a little high. We paid 70 dollars per night. I realize this is not a "super high" rate but we could have stayed in a chain hotel for about an extra 60 dollars...for the extra 60 dollars we would have been able to eat food in our room, a restaurant on site, secure storage etc etc. All in all it was an "okay stay...not horrible...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tdugg
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2010

I must admit I was worried when having already booked a stay at the hostel for two nights, I thought to check the reviews which seemed very mixed. Cost was the most important factor so I decided to press on and I'm glad I did.
Granted, this hostel isn't what I'd call luxurious and there are some rough edges, but it's great for the cost, the staff are friendly and helpful, it's fairly clean and tidy and when you're spending most of your time out and about and just need somewhere to bed down, it's brilliant.
Good location, being only few minutes to the CN tower/Rogers Centre and about 30 minutes walk to the Eaton Centre/surrounding area. All in all, if creature comforts are your thing then this place may not be for you, but if you're on a budget, this place gets a thumbs up from me!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I stayed there this week-end and my stay was horrible. They checked me in a room that was already full, one of the guest was supposed to have left 5 days before, so that says it all about the maid service.

It was hands down the dirtiest hostel I have ever been to (and I've worked in some and visited over 100). Dirt, dust , filth, smelly bathroom, stains everywhere. Even the frames in the bathroom was broken. My mastress was broken and some springs were sticking in the middle preventing me from sleeping. The music from the bar was so loud it was annoying for the guests.

I was planning on staying 2 nights, paid for those and preferred to stay at my friends house for the second night which is 45 minutes from downtown. That says it all. I prefered loosing my money over staying one more night there.

I wouldn't recommend this hostel to anyone, even if it's prime location.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
YouthHostel, Owner at Global Village Backpackers, responded to this review, December 17, 2010
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, but I should point out that our cleaning staff are on duty every single day of the year. They clean the washrooms, sleeping rooms, common areas, kitchen and reception--everything. In terms of guests staying longer than they are supposed to, I would also like to point out this is quite unlikely since our keycard system locks guests out from access to the rooms when they are not registered.

I hope this addresses you concerns and we look forward to wellcoming you again. Thanks.