“Best Location for a Young Family”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Beaches Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #62 of 117 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Great walking distance to shops, the Beach, playground, Kew Gardens, Eating, Bakeries and a pretty fun trolley ride down Queen Street. Super fast to downtown Toronto via the Gardner Expressway - 10 minutes tops. But with a one and a half year old there was plenty to do without going far. No other B and B's were this close.

As for the actual Bed and Breakfast, it seems Enid is taking into account the 'Constructive' Critisism written on this site. Happy to say there were absolutely no bed bugs in the 'Wonderland Room.' The sheets and towels were smelling sweet and clean. The room is rough around the edges (carpet needs ripping out and the kitchenette desperately needs updating)...BUT during our three night stay Enid was in action hiring a Cleaner in the main house to empty out her closets and clutter, as well she had two new refridgerators being installed - one for the main house and one for our kitchenette - so I assume in the future she will be cleaning out the Wonderland Room as well. We had a tour of the "Jungle Room" which looked FABULOUS. It was clean of trinkets and was odourless. An electrician was updating the one-hundred year old lighting outside our door, and the front entry way was being re-paved.

Fresh fruit for breakfast, fresh raisin bread or multi-grain bread each morning with jam and butter, coffee or tea. The best thing really was the spirit of the home itself, which is not your typical Victorian B & B. The garden walkway greeted our daughter each morning - she was able to use our private entrance to run around outdoors in the secluded yard amongst birds and squirrels and raccoons (its Toronto - 'coons are the norm) and throw stones in the pond amongst the fairies. The garden was lit up at night with blue and white lights...Beautiful. Enid provided our child with plenty of things to play with during our breakfast, and we enjoyed getting to know about her written and artistic endeavours.

This place is for the more adventuresome and seasoned travellers who can handle the oddities of different lifestyles and want a unique experience. Get a hotel if you have predictable standards.

Oh yes. Parking on the street. Free for all three nights.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank crickcket
There are newer reviews for Beaches Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed August 3, 2009

" the wonderland suite " the nightmare on waverly rd,
a smelly, dirty room awaited us,yes there was a public services strike on, so i went back outside and.......it was the room. cobwebs everywhere.the toilet was disgusting,all the furniture wanted setting fire to,it hadn't been cleaned for ages,the cooker 'uurgh'and millions of mosquito's
we booked it for 6 days, lasted 6 mins,left the siutcases found an internet booth and booked a city center hotel suite for an extra $7per night and went,on phoning enid an telling her whats what she promised us a refund ,we are still waiting,dont be fooled by the nice as pie reviews on the website she must have put them on herself,i only wish we had the photo's to back up this review

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank whiteone
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Made the mistake of booking here, when we got here and discovered how dirty & dusty it was, we asked for a refund. Enid absolutely refused, turned nasty, and made all sorts of accusations, This "sweet little old lady" is eccentric, picks up junk from everywhere (probably at Garage sales) not a theme, just junk, and what's worse, is that the place is so cluttered with it that there is dust everywhere. She does not clean it, and as I am highly allergic to dust, I could not stay there. Cat hairs everywhere. Sheets were old and stained, and I do not think they were changed (although she was vile when I told her they hadn't been changed, but there were long black hairs -- I am blonde -- and stains on the sheets. Breakfast? Hah! Stale buns, butter & jam & coffee. It is also obvious to me that each time a negative comment is entered, she, or a friend of hers then goes and puts a nice comment in. Doesn't the Canadian Government monitor the B & B's -- don't they have to be licensed and WHO is inspecting this place? Go anywhere but here.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CaymanMermaid
Reviewed December 2, 2007

Recently I stayed at Beaches B&B for two nights. It was one of the more unsatisfactory places I've ever stayed. There were bugs flying around (in winter!) and even a bug in the honey jar at the breakfast table. The whole place is jam packed with years of....who knows what. The room I stayed in-The Dream Room-was a nightmare. Once again, every possible place to put things was packed with the owners junk. Nowhere to even hang my clothes. There was a faint smell of urine that I couldn't quite locate. The shower was awful and on the second day I couldn't get the water to shut off due to faulty plumbing. NOT recommended.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank AnnaRaye
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Enchanting - this is a magical place.
I felt I had found a bit of England - ten minutes from the heart of Toronto. A stay at Enid's is like a visit to a small stately home. Charming, slightly eccentric treasure-filled rooms, delightful table talk, a restful front porch and garden, and cats, gave me the most restful vacation I have enjoyed outside of Devonshire. I got tonnes of decorating ideas. Enid and her family welcome you like old friends - actually, I think of her as an honourary "Aunt".
I will remember my visit all my life long. Thank you, Enid!

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank Loveplace
Reviewed September 28, 2006

I stayed in the room at the top of the house called the "Rapunzel" room. I had to take my suitcase up 2 extremely narrow staircases to get there. There was no decent lock on the narrow door, only a padlock which you used to lock the room when you leave. When you were in the room you couldn't lock the door, only use a small hook to keep it closed.

The worst part was that the room SMELLED REALLY BAD. I don't know if someone had had pets in there or it was the owner's cat(s) that had caused it but she seemed oblivious to it, probably because the rest of the house smelled too.

The walls of the room were painted red, the owners glass ornaments, pictures and other objects were everywhere in the room, leaving little room for my own stuff, the bed wasn't a decent size to sleep on. The furniture in the room is really old and ugly. In fact, the whole house is cluttered with ornaments, mirrors, pictures etc. The decor was definitely not my taste.

The shower in the room is a small cubicle under a slanting roof, so if you're 6 ft tall then you're likely to bump your head a few times!

Breakfast was a continental breakfast that the owner gives you in her lounge area at a single table. Again, the table is so crammed full of glass ornaments etc it is difficult to see what's what. You sit there while she grills you about your plans and personal life.

There was a notice telling guests to make their own bed to keep costs down, my towels were never changed in the 3 days that I stayed there, nor was the room ever cleaned at any point, and quite frankly, I was glad when my stay was over as I felt really uncomfortable.

The landlady Enid, makes you pay the entire amount at the beginning of your stay, so there was no chance of getting your money back. If I could have got it back I would have gone somewhere else. I should have asked to see the room before committing myself to it, but I booked through a tourist board and they had my card no. and had already passed it to the landlady before I arrived.

I paid a lot of money for very poor service and as for tipping, forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO STAY, GO TO AN AIRPORT HOTEL IF YOU CAN'T GET ANYTHING DOWNTOWN AND COMMUTE INTO TORONTO. YOU'LL PAY PROBABLY THE SAME PRICE, APPROX $100 PER NIGHT, BUT THE JOURNEY WOULD BE WORTH IT NOT TO STAY AT THIS PLACE. The buses are quite cheap to travel on and so is the subway.

The beaches area where this B & B is located is not near downtown Toronto and you need to get a bus into Toronto.

If you decide to walk into town along Queen St East, it will take you over an hour to get to the downtown area.

I would advise seeing the room of any B & B in Toronto before committing your hard earned cash to it. I will certainly do that in future. Never again will I be caught out like that.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
8  Thank MARIE001
Reviewed July 4, 2006

After being lead up an excessively narrow staircase to the top floor, we were introduced to the Rapunzel" room. Well, it looked as if Rapunzel had been trapped in the tower room for decades, accumulating every dust-laden red, orange and pink knick-knack imaginable.

The room with toilet and sink was filled to the brim with Christmas lights and evening bags - so-called "antiques" - but probably just any glittery thing. There was barely an inch to place toiletries. There was an exposed outlet about 6" from the cold water faucet. NO TOILETRIES WHATSOEVER WERE PROVIDED. The sink and shower each had a tiny used bar of soap - previously used by whom- the local leper?

The shower is separate. It's the size of a coffin with a slanted roof and no light. If you wish to shower after sunset, you're in pitch black darkness and will bang your head or elbow at least 5 times - on any of the several uncomfortable surfaces. Also the water remains hot for about 1 or 2 minutes.

The bed is a double size. The owner neglected to ask if any of the guests would be over 5'9" tall. If you are, you will have to sleep in a fetal postion since the bed is ensconced on 3 sides by walls. If you are two people, you will need to be athletic since
one of you will have to jump or roll over the other to get in and out of bed. We were also informed that we would have to make our own beds each day and that clean sheets were given out (for us to make the bed) after 3 or 4 days - (Why is the owner unsure when?)

Breakfast : Two dry pieces of tasteless toast were offered. No butter was apparent. Empty jars of jam were on the lazy susan. Nearly empty jars of cereal were on the cupboard. Coffee was scarce. We were aksed by the owner to memorize our napkin holders because we were to use our same napkins two days in a row. We needed to fold up our own napkins after we ate and slide them back into the proper holders.

The tv was fuzzy the a/c was negligible. The kitchen area was dirty. The toaster oven looked like it had not been cleaned in years.

Look carefully before you leave that you haven't left any belongings among all the boxes, vases, flowers, scarves, etc.

Watch out for raccoons. The porch has weather-eaten furniture.

The owner should spend some time caring for the .property instead of preening and buying junk.

• Stayed: July 2006