“Nice, but needs improvement”

Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East
Ranked #124 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Santa Barbara, California
“Nice, but needs improvement”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

From the outside, the hotel doesn't look promising, but the the rooms and lobby are more welcoming. The rooms are nicely decorated and well-stocked with the basic toiletries, but are quite small, and beds do not seem to conform to US size standards. Only the hallways echoed the exterior's distressing appearance on the inside: a little dark, worn carpets (especially on the stairs) and no elevator.

My chief concern was the cleaning: our bed was made daily, and our bathroom tidied, but the room was never actually cleaned. There was a big greasy handprint on the full-length mirror in our room from the moment we first entered it, and it was never cleaned: we stayed four days, so there was ample time for a little Windex!

Another concern was the lack of space in the lobby for the breakfast provided, and the fact that each day, something in the limited breakfast selection was missing. The staff never checked on the breakfast items to refill them without being prompted. Even the coffee was empty twice -- !

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, and overall the hotel was perfectly adequate to our needs, and well-situated for our stay. Considering the cost of hotel rooms in downtown Toronto, the HW is worth a stay.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ChristinafromNY
HojoTorontoEast, Reservations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to upload a review. Your feedback will help us to make positive changes in the future. I am sorry you found our rooms a bit small, actually our rooms are quite spacious compared to other Toronto hotels and I can assure you that our beds (double, queen and king) do meet the standard requirements. I would like to apologize for the handprint that was seen on the mirror, it may have been an oversight by our Housekeeping staff. There is no excuse for the handprint, it shouldn't have been there when you checked in. Should this situation arise in the future, please kindly give a call to the Front Desk and they will arrange for someone to go and clean it. I am deeply sorry that you found our breakfast area crowded. As I see the date of your stay was in August, I would like to mention that we were quite busy at that time with some tour groups and it seems everyone showed up for breakfast at the exact same time. Our breakfast staff are working hard daily to keep the items well stocked, but as you mentioned we were very busy during that time so he may have had a hard time keeping up with refilling every item. At Howard Johnson we strive to provide guest satisfaction, and I am happy to hear that you found the Front Desk staff friendly and helpful. Once again, thank you for submitting feedback, we really appreciate it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed August 12, 2010

This place has seen its last rennovation quite some years ago. Also it was not very clean. Rooms were spacious, big TV. Breakfast was ok: Small Buffet. If you arrive at night you might have a problem finding it. There is only a small sign at the entrance to a car park (on the left side of the street), wihtout much light. To reach the hotel you have to cross this car park first.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank opack
Thank you for taking the time to send a review about your stay. As mentioned, it has been a while since the last renovation, and that is why we have begun our renovation project on the whole hotel. We have already completed 20 guest rooms and the indoor swimming pool. We are currently working on more guest rooms and other public areas. I can assure you that our rooms are always thoroughly cleaned to standard. If you do find any issues with the room I urge you to let the Front Desk know right away. They can either fix the problem, or provide you with an alternate room, if necessary. Once again I thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback, it is much appreciated.
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We booked this via telephone so knew nothing of the place; we were planning on arriving very late and had little choice. It is hard finding rooms on a weekend late at night in Toronto!

I agree with the reviewer that the place is old, tired yet comfortable-enough. It has a sad-sack decrepit feel that is kind of appealing as long as nothing overtly awful happens (and it didn't for us). However, I am not surprised by any of the shocking stories left by other travelers - it all sounds plausible from wet towels to flashettes. We happened to have experienced none of it. The beds were comfortable-enough. There was a semi-functioning refrigerator and microwave. I didn't feel it necessary to sanitize my hands and feet upon leaving. We were in rm 2218.

If you do book in advance, try to specify your needs precisely (um, "clean towels"?) as the staff mentioned they do try to accommodate specific requests. For example, refrigerator.

It's nice the management is reading these comments. They could perhaps hire a couple extra people to assist with cleaning and guest's needs. It all felt very, very neglected. Check out the moldering old overgrown pool (outdoors; there is a functional indoor pool).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank aliris19
HojoTorontoEast, Reservations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
We appreciate that you took the time to send feedback to us. It is true that our hotel is old, and as mentioned in previous reviews we have started the renovation process. The first phase of renovations is almost complete, which includes: guest rooms, meeting rooms and indoor pool. It is true that if you book in advance you can give our reservations staff a list of requests and we will try our best to accommodate you. Also, at anytime during your stay you may call the front desk for other special requests you might have. When our renovation process is fully complete we hope you will return to our hotel and give an even better follow up review.
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Gave it the benefit of the doubt - big mistake. Ok it's being renovated - but. Perhaps existing rooms could be cleaned as well, just for fun. Room had wet/used towel and wet/used bath mat in tub when we got there. We enjoyed the nice spider behind the toilet, and centipede in the bathroom. I would suggest this is not "cleaned to standard" as responses to other reviews stated. Beds were hard as nails and not all lighting worked. Other than that, it was great...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Disappointed154981
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were less than pleased with your stay. At Howard Johnson Toronto East we strive to provide guest satisfaction, and I would like to apologize for not meeting your needs this time. As mentioned, we take pride in cleanliness and I can assure you that all of our rooms are cleaned to standard. If however you do find a problem with your room at anytime, I would ask that you call our 24 hour front desk and someone will be happy to help you.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 28, 2010

worst day of our life.like a nightmare that never ends.got smoking room and saw cigarette buds but the receptionist name ravi said its non smoking and all the non smoking rooms a like that.noise of renovetion and dust was unbearable.we wanna
to get out but they will not refund our money so we had to stay over night waiting for
the morning to get the hell out of there.ruin our vacation and mood for the wedding.
we could not sleep bcuz the blanket was not even full it was rip in half,so the end of the story is we will never stay at HOWARD JHONSON from anywhere in the world!and nobody should specially with the family.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 123456789012
HojoTorontoEast, Reservations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this review, July 7, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your stay. I am sorry to hear that you had an issue with the room you were given. We would appreciate it if you could contact us at 416-293-8171 and provide us with the room number so we can further investigate into the situation. I would like to apologize for any inconveinience you experienced as a result of our renovations. I hope you can understand that we are renovating to better serve our guests, which will help to prevent any room problems in the future. I hope you will give our hotel another chance once all of the renovations are completed and leave a follow-up review about your stay.
ontario
Reviewed May 7, 2010

this is my second time stay in this hotel, this time with my colleague, we have 2 rooms each for 2 nights. agree hotel is old but staff are nice, location and location.
I did not try the restaurant , instead I went to the next door plaza for light supper and a couple of drinks at the pub and chat with my colleague, overall we are happy.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
HojoTorontoEast, Reservations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this review, June 23, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to our hotel. I am happy to hear you and your colleague enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I am glad our staff made you feel welcome and that the location was convenient for you. I hope you and your colleagues will choose our hotel for your next business trip and that your stay will be even more enjoyable than it was this time.
wiltshire
Reviewed April 27, 2010

My extended stay in this hotel was booked by a local as there was family business to attend to.
The hotel itself is very tired and because of this does not give the impression of being spotlessly clean. That said the hotel is in the process of being refurbished and because of this I would recommend if you need to stay in the area.
The room was comfortable with the usual amenities including a full sized fridge which was really useful during my stay.
The rooms do not seem to be overly sound proofed as you can hear other residents moving about and talking. Whilst this might be a problem to some it was not to me.
The continental breakfast is basic, cereal, toast, waffles, bagels, pastries and muffins. Whilst not a lot of variety it was certainly adequate. There was a microwave available to diners so I bought instant oats to prepare which added to the variety.
All staff encountered were most helpful and friendly with particular mention of Annie on the front desk.
There is a regular bus service which runs a short walk from the hotel which I found to be very efficient - not so by the locals. In my opinion the whole travel network is very cheap and I found it very easy to navigate but would thoroughly recommend obtaining a TTC ride guide at the earliest opportunity as it is so useful.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review for our hotel. At Howard Johnson it is our number one priority to provide customer satisfaction, so it is nice to hear your positive comments about our staff members and continental breakfast. It is true that our hotel is older and in need of renovations, and as you mentioned, we have already begun renovations on guest rooms, meetings rooms and public areas of the hotel. We have almost completed full renovations on our pool area and are certain it will satisfy our customers in the future. Once again, thank you for providing us with positive feedback, we greatly appreciate it.