“Would not recommend”

Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East
Ranked #125 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed July 21, 2006

Everyone has own opinions but needed to check out myself. We stayed here July 16-18 2006. My family was disgusted with Motel. Landscaping was not up to par. Carpets filthy, needs to be cleaned. The hallways smelled musty, the groundfloor room we had, we could not open sliding door, it was bolted into the frame. We needed to air the room out, but had to have air cond. on all the time. Beds were hard as a rock, could not sleep good. We were placed all the way to the back of the Motel. Giftshop was about 90*, the pool area was very humid and dry, much more than most of them. Raccoons running around outside motel. I would not go here again, if it was the last motel in the area. Shocked that Howard Johnson's name still on it.

Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank 1seashell

Reviewed July 20, 2006

I stayed at this place more than two years ago and I still can not forget how awful was the experience. After reading grant.gill@gmail.com's review, I just have to reiterate that this place ought to be shutdown. Absolutely horrific.

Right off from my memory:
(1) The parking lot was full of litters
(2) Long check-in process and unorganized. It took the front desk more than 30 minutes to check-in our rooms. At first they lost our reservation and had to scramble and looked for it.
(3) We booked 3 rooms. All of them were filthy. There were problems all over:
leaky faucet, moldy bath tubs, spider webs, some of the beds / mattresses had collapsed springs (you couldn't sit on the side of the bed because you would slide down the collapsed springs), stinky pillows, the exterior doors of the hallway all had malfuctioning locks, the dust on the coffeemaker was thick enough to write our names on it, ...
(4) the swimming pool was not to be used. It looked more like a pond. It took me a few seconds to recognize that it was a pool.
(5) I can come up with more from my friends and relatives whom stayed with me. But you should get the picture.

I will never stay at that place again. I would not recommend this to anyone. If this place was recommended by my friend he will lose my trust forever.

I guess they haven't done a thing in the past two years to fix up the place either.

• Stayed: April 2004, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank chicagoan5
Reviewed July 8, 2006

After reading all these negatives reviews on TripAdvisor. I decided I'll stay here as Toronto Tourism had a deal where if you stayed 1 night you get a free $50 gas card and the rate was only $69 + 15% taxes.

I want this review to be the beginning of the end of the Howard Johnson Toronto East.

We visited the Inn a couple of days before our trip because we had some concerns about the place. The manager assured us we would be getting one of there better rooms and sh picked it out personally.

We arrived at the Inn around 4:00 p.m. on Friday May 12th, 2006. We get in-line to a front desk personal who barley's understands English. He wanted to photocopy personal information like my son's e-mail address (We got our confirmation here), credit card number, and driver licence. I have been to many hotel in the last year and I have never came across this. I know you need a Credit Card for movies, damages etc. My son had many concerns about this has he had study identify fraud. We don't know who this guy is. After about a 15 minute argument he finally gave in. Then we ask where are gas card was he had no clue what we were talking about. He went to the back and found it. He gives us a map and circles are room with the no directions how to get there. (The map is from when it was a Quality Inn).

DAY 1:

We found the room and we were shock. When we first enter there is a box in the garbage can. Some paper on top of the T.V, the fridge door open, and a open bar of soap on the sink. We were booked in a Non-Smoking room but found some matches and an astray on top of the desk. When we were leaving we came to a staff member and ask if she could put a Do Not Disturb Sign on as one was not provided. She said she would do it right a away. In the meantime we went out and bought a digital camera to take some pictures. (Which I'll be posting with this review). After my son took the pictures we went to the front-desk to ask to speak to the manager. The guy who could hardly speak any English said she went out but would be back in about 15 minutes. We sat at a desk while we waited for her to come back. My son search through it to find a lot of garbage. We saw the person who said she would put a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. (It wasn't there when we took the pictures). She told us that the Manager had gone home and won't be back until Monday but she was the Manager on Duty and could handle are concerns. We ask if we could go to another room until the manager came back. She said she could clean it but we refused as we wanted to show the manager. My son wanted to go to another place. He suggested the Best Western because it is the Official Hotel of NASCAR. But the Manager on Duty was bad mouthing my 16 year old son making him fell stupid that he didn't know what he was doing. He went outside and I said that We did not want the room clean and a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. I later found out that my son wasn't felling well because of the smell in the halls. He felt so sick he did not eat dinner that night. Until they invent camera where you can smell the area you won't know how bad the smell is. My son said that Second hand some smelt better. We left and head to the Best Western at Markham 3 highway stops down.

Day 2:

We came back to the Inn to find no Do Not Disturb sign. We try to get in but the keys do not work so back to the front desk to get it fix in the smelly hallways. We get in to the room to find it somewhat clean. This was an invasion of Privacy as we ask the room not to be touch. Luckily my son had no electronic in the rooms or they might have been stolen. My son eventually found a dirty DO Not Disturb sign in the big red garbage box near are room. (It was there the whole time we were there) and put it on our door. We went back to the Best Western.

Day 3:

I finally meet the manager after having to wait for her to come out of a meeting and she was shock to see the photo and was very sorry and offer me and my son 3 free night in there best room on another weekend and got the women who promise to put the Do Not Disturb on the door. The room look O.K. When the Manager confronted the girl we dealt with over the weekend declined making fund of my son. The Manager said that she would show my son the room and follow up.

My son is a very observant person and figure out what happen. When we were checking-in a guy came and complained about his room. He gave him our room. He took the keys that the guy threw down. That why it did not work the next day. The envelope the keys were in was very dirty.

After about two week the Manager got back to us leaving us a [--] message saying how sorry she was and that she fired the girl who promised to put the Do Not Disturb sign on. Using the excuses that it was a old hotel. Being old means the wall paper peels off. That is no excuse for dirtiness. Every in that hotel seem dirty.I've been to some old places in Toronto East and Ontario and never had this problem. The HoJo is cheap and doesn't want to put any money into it. (That why they gave us a map from when it was a Quality Inn). I phone back and yet to hear from the manager and is a month later. I guess she doesn't want to get back to us because out Credit Card has been charged bit we are fighting the charges with Toronto Tourism.

I am sorry for the long review. I really want this to be the beginning of the end of the Howard Johnson Toronto East.

I finish off by saying that there are better place in Scarborough that are the same money, less, or a few dollars more. Some are the Travelodge, Best Western, Holiday Inn, and some cheaper place are the Super 8, Grand Motel, Manor Motel. All but the Manor Motel or AAA approved. If you look in this year book they are not listed. If any one from Cendant or HoJO is reading this yank there licence. I love your properties are rarely have problems don't let this place take away business from you be smart like Choice Hotels and Quality Inn.

I hope you look at the Pictures and realize this place is a dumb and doesn't deserve a penny of your hard earn dollar. In respond to the most recent post the guy was probably hired by the HoJo because no one would like this place. This is the first negative review I wrote after about visiting a 100 hotel/motels and wriing reviews for them. E-Mail me if you want more pictues these are just some of the dirtiness.

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank wwe_j_b_l
Reviewed June 20, 2006

How in the world could this get a hotel rating of 3 stars?? The room was smelly, as was the rest of the building. There was an overflowing garbage can that was never empited outside the back entrance. So much for security! The door to enter the building was broken! It didn't close properly so there was no point in the key card swipe! The room itself had dirty walls, stained shower stall. One garbage can for the whole room? Not even one in the bathroom. A 'sketchy' neighbourhood indeed... I went to get something from my car at about 10pm and there was a small group of young men hanging out with the music blasting from their cars. The worse was at 9 am the next morning someone opened my door! It must have been housekeeping, and I yelled to tell them to get out - what is the staff doing in my room 2 hours before check out?? This place is the epitome of a disgusting place - dirty and unsafe.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank christinaJ333
Reviewed May 23, 2006

It was a good rate. Not bad staff. The hallways smelled, but the room was ok. Wish the glass doors opened to the outside though. It was a long walk to get outside from my room. Area wasn't the nicest, but there were some good shopping areas within 10 min driving & about 15 to Toronto if traffic wasn't too bad. That's the 1 bad thing....the traffic!!! Make sure not to be on the 401 at rush hour getting to the hotel!

• Stayed: November 2005
1  Thank KahneFan9
Reviewed April 28, 2006

Well, for the rate, its suitable.

The staff was very friendly and helpful (they called my room right after check-in to ask if everything was O.K) . The area is good, right beside the 401.

The rooms are confortable, but not so clean.

The patio door would not close completly, leaving air coming in.

The lobby stinks.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank tech3
Reviewed April 18, 2006

What can I say about a place that is in a sketchy neighborhood, in the middle of nowhere, very run down, dirty, unfriendly staff, ripped wall papers and carpet, maid service that never provide any towels. Even at $69 it isn't worth it. I wouldn't go there again if it is free...

• Stayed: April 2006