“Never again...”

Ranked #121 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
San Francisco
“Never again...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2006

What can I say about a place that is in a sketchy neighborhood, in the middle of nowhere, very run down, dirty, unfriendly staff, ripped wall papers and carpet, maid service that never provide any towels. Even at $69 it isn't worth it. I wouldn't go there again if it is free...

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank BayAreaRes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
south coast england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2005

i stayed here from 11th oct 05 till 18th oct then back again from 26th till 3rd nov 05 the room we were given was a smoking room we asked to be moved and was given another room right away .. the room was basic but it suited us and like i say you do get what you pay for and it was cheap .. staff were helpful and when we returned on the 26th we asked for the same room and was given it ..the tv was not working called the front desk they replaced the tv for us . i did'nt want a 5 star hotel and what i got for my money was i think good.. after all you only sleep in there ..and the beds were clean .. i will be going back there .. so all i can say if you want a cheap place to sleep this is the place for you.. don't go there if you want five star service.. you will be dissapointed
we were out most of the time so it suited our needs perfectly .... don't know about the pool did'nt use it but it loooked very nice when we went to take a look

• Stayed October 2005
7 Thank 313susan
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2005

I reserved a jacuzzi fireplace suite, first they tried to give us a regular room, then not only were they plug in fireplaces but ours was missing, the carpets were disgusting and it was not a 2 person tub that we were promised. I will never go back.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2005

Oh, where should I start? The A/C was leaking water and the carpet floor was very wet (about 4ft by 4ft of wet carpet under the A/C). The room had this smell (like animal fluids). The bathroom was very out-dated and looked awful. Lots of rust stains and mold. The indoor pool did not have towels. When I asked the maintenance worker, he recommended that I re-use the ones left on the chairs by other people because they had run out. I travel a lot and this is my first experience where a pool does not have towels. I had no choice but to use dirty towels to dry myself and my kids. The breakfast was decent, considering it was free and included in the stay. I have a HIGH level of tolerance. For $69 CAD, I would stay here again....but I would not pay a penny more. IF YOU HAVE TO PAY A PENNY OVER THIS, AVOID THIS HOTEL. $69 is a great price for a T.O hotel. (Room #1208).

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank duderama2
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2005

My friend and I booked this hotel because of the good rate, and we thought that all Howard Johnson's are clean. Not this one! I couldn't believe it. We got into our room and it smelled like cat pee! There was no remote for the tv, no fridge, and no microwave. There was a little bar across the dirty sliding glass door between you and the parking lot. The bathroom sink had rust holes. Our eyes were watering from the smell. We asked for another room and 1 hour later we got one. We went to the room and the lady was just starting to clean it! So we waited in the hall for her to finish. The second room was a little better. At least it didn't smell like cat pee! There was no water in the outdoor pool. The cleaning ladies/men were very friendly. The rest of the staff were rude. The pop machine didn't work and the doors going outside had broken locks. There was a garbage can over flowing with garbage at one on the enterance doors. When we got back to our room at night, the key card didn't work so we had to go to the from desk to get them fixed. Every hallway had a different weird smell. Very gross! Not worth the money at all. The free breakfast was a joke. Bagels, coffee, juice and cereal. No fruit at all. No cream cheese for the bagels! I can't believe this is a Howard Johnson!

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2005

Rooms were dirty, stench unbelievable. And to top it off, I was charged 3 times for the room and still no resolution. Definitely give this hotel a pass. Not sure how it carries the Hojo name unless they have all fallen into ruin.

• Stayed June 2005