“Front Desk Staff were so unfriendly”

International Plaza Hotel Toronto Airport
Ranked #82 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersSilver level
Caledon, Canada
“Front Desk Staff were so unfriendly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Was a Doubletree by HIlton when I stayed there. The Front desk staff were not friendly
What is happening to our hotels, i checked in at the Front desk and both staff members were not smiling nor very happy.After receiving my keys, i was slid 2 cookies that was part of the hilton Honors program, part of what hilton offers for returning hilton clients is 2 hot cookies and 2 bottles of water. Well i got the cookies, no water and no welcome back was offered at all.
I got to the room (1051) and there was no water for coffee each room is suppose to have 2 bottles. Also the filter on the wall in the bathroom above the clean towels hadnt been cleaned in months.When i brought it to attention of the front desk upon check out, it was like i was botehring them with the info. The lobby was a dead silence and needs something... Patty is Harry's bar was a pleasant I hope she is still there, she was the hilite of being at this hotel that weekend in April

Room Tip: Get a room away from the flight path as its super noisy there
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Patti K
Daniel B, General Manager at International Plaza Hotel Toronto Airport, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We’re very sorry your experience at International Plaza Hotel wasn’t up to our usual high standards. We’ve addressed the problems you mentioned with our Front Desk and Housekeeping team. Thank you for alerting us to this issue, and we hope you’ll give us another chance if you return to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

After attending a recent seminar, we sat in total gridlock in the parking lot for over half an hour before we could get to the kiosk where you pay. It was so bad that people trying to get IN to the hotel were held up by those of us attempting to exit. We telephoned the front desk after a few minutes, realizing then that the line was ridiculously long. Nothing appeared to have been done to alleviate the problem. We attempted to find an alternate exit without success, although vandalizing a side entry gate for the benefit of all of us briefly crossed my mind. Under the circumstances, fourteen bucks for parking was terrible value.
I've had grade 4 students who could have solved this problem faster than their staff.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 847LLL
David Q, Director of Operations at International Plaza Hotel Toronto Airport, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear 847LLL,

Thank you for your review of the International Plaza Hotel Toronto Airport. We apologize that you and many other Guests had challenges with our parking lot operation. The parking lot is run by a third party and the Hotel has brought these issues forward and required this operator to make modifications so that no future guest undergoes these challenges.

In late 2013, the Hotel will be completing a total automation of the parking lot operations which will speed up the exit process.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a week, 4 days of which was a conference. Good value. Staff excellent, very helpful, always willing. Rooms comfortable. Good conference hotel. Not a good location for family on holiday wanting to see Toronto unless you have transport or will use a taxi.
I would come again

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
David Q, Director of Operations at International Plaza Hotel Toronto Airport, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Tony D,

Thank you for choosing International Plaza Hotel for your meeting – we’re happy to hear it was a success! We look forward to welcoming you again to Toronto and we enjoyed taking care of you.

Thanks again,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

We thought we were checking in to the Hilton but it had changed hands since we booked. This is a lovely hotel, it didn't look much on the outside but the staff were lovely, we were upgraded to the Executive floor, which included breakfast in the Lounge. We had drinks and then later, dinner in Harry's Bar which was very relaxing. Obviously not a busy hotel due to location but it is worth staying if you want peace and quiet. We thought we would have aircraft noise but we didn't hear a thing. We would go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bonnie M
Dear Bonnie M,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the International Plaza Hotel. Although the name has changed, the Hotel's owners remain the same and they are proud to annouce the beginning of numerous renovation projects throuhgout the Hotel, starting with a fresh coat of paint on the exterior of the building.

I’m happy to hear that our dedicated Team Members made your stay more comfortable. We look forward to seeing you the next time you travel to Toronto area.

Happy Travels,

Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our first impression of our room was ruined because we couldn't wheel our suitcase between the chair and the wall. Our second impression wasn't much better. The toilet was squeezed in between the end of the counter and the shower. When you sat down, you hit the tp holder. NOT fun. Then we noticed that they put a full sized couch on the same wall with the bed, so there wasn't room for a night stand on one side. Add to this a common complaint, no outlets on the night stand, so can't plug your cell phone in next to the bed when using it as a back up alarm.
The room showed a lack of planning and forethought. It was a place to crash but not a pleasant one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KLEwing
David Q, Director of Operations at International Plaza Hotel Toronto Airport, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear KLEwing,

Thank you for sharing your stay with us on Trip Advisor. At International Plaza Hotel, we know that how our guestrooms look is very important.

Our focus on a great guest experience and reviews like yours have led us to begin our plans to renovate our guestrooms beginning late this year. We hope that the next time your travels bring you to Toronto, you’ll stay with us and tell us what you think about our new guestroom experience.

We hope you’ll be one of the first to enjoy our improvements. Thank you!

Luskville, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Overall Hotel itself is very nice, room were clean, current, was close for the event i was there for and have loads of restaurants near by, as the hotel restaurant charges ridiculous prices for their food. Example, simple breakfast two eggs, choice of meat, 16.99 they did mention coffee or home fries were extra charges. The front desk staff i dealt with was not overly informative and rushy. I would not book threw Hotels.com again though, every time I had a question after my booking I was always referred back to hotel and 3 outta 4 times, their system was down. Poor customer service there. 3 days prior to my arrival, the Hotel changed names from Double tree by Hilton, Toronto to the International Plaza, we were never notified and when we arrived, we were confused.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
David Q, Director of Operartions at International Plaza Hotel Toronto Airport, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Elaine D,
Thank you for your feedback – we’re sorry your breakfast didn’t live up to your expectations. We appreciate your suggestions and will share them with our chefs, kitchen staff and servers whose goal is to serve our guests fresh, tasty, healthy meals. On your next visit to our area, we hope you’ll give us another opportunity to provide you with the excellent food, service and hospitality we’re known for.

The Hotel proud opened as the International Plaza Hotel on August 27th. Improvements on course at International Plaza Hotel include an exterior transformation with new façade; new main lobby and major enhancements to the hotel’s dining outlets with the addition of a full service Starbucks and state-of-the-art business centre. We apologize that this change caused confusion for you during your stay.
We hope you’ll stay with us the next time you’re in the area and let us know how we’re doing.

Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Things started of poorly and went downwards from there. We were at the hotel for 4 days and two nights for a convention. We had stayed in this hotel before and so were expecting a few bumps although it wasn't until after we checked in that we were informed that the hotel was changing from a Doubletree by Hilton to an International Plaza during our stay.

Things started poorly when I attempted to check in early, understanding that given the fact that the large convention was there I tried anyways. Several people ahead of me got rooms but when it was my turn I was informed that there were no more rooms available at the moment. Not an issue. I went to another activity and came back after the stated 3:00PM check in time.

I had left my luggage in the car waiting till I had a room key in hand. (wise choice as I came to find out) A rather surely (lets give him credit and say he was overworked) advise that rooms were not available yet in the category we had reserved and that I would have to come back in an hour. At 4:30 I went back, still no rooms (although I had just had a conversation with a friend who had no issue getting his room. Finally at 5:15 a room was ready. I was asked by the clerk if I would like a room close to the elevator, which I gladly accepted. Unfortunately my interpretation and his interpretation of "Close' differed by about 200 ft.

I then found out that parking was extra to the tune of $20 per day. I had been lead to believe that the extra charge included a complimentary breakfast.. wrong again, breakfast was $18 each. It may have been nice but not to the tune of $36 for my wife and myself.

We were tight for time at lunch and decided to eat at one of the restaurants in the hotel. After taking our a 2nd mortgage to afford their meal prices I was anything but satisfied with both the quality and quantity of the food. Fortunately there are a number of reasonable restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and we ate the balance of the meals out.

The room was tidy and worn, While the linens were clean there was obvious wear on the towels and several of the amenities did not work. I never did figure out their alarm clock resorting to the front desk for a wake up call. The hair dryer in the bathroom did not work, fortunately my wife had brought her own.

We had requested non-down filled pillow and comforters due to my wife's allergies. Of course there were 4 down filled pillows and beautiful down filled comforters on the bed. When I asked housekeeping to arrange to change them I was informed there was 1 pillow and a extra non down blanket in the closet. I was comfortable but my wife spent the balance of our stay stuffed up and reliant on anti-allergy medication. The front desk informed me to "take it up with house-keeping"
Thw Hotel has an excellent pool area with a water slide and hot-tub and I look forward to lunging in the area as I have a few hours over the weekend. This time.The pool area had an incredible "free chlorine" odour and the combination of chemical in the air with the high humidity drove me from the pool area and I did not go back again

I was definitely less than impressed with my stay at this hotel and while the group are planning their next convention at this hotel there are other hotels in the area that we will investigate before making our reservations here.

Room Tip: You're right next to the airport, expect some noise from landings and take off but normally you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank EGL55
Dear EGL55,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at International Plaza Hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our International Plaza Hotel guests have a rewarding stay. We’ve addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in Toronto; you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service.

Thank you again for your comments.

Warm Regards,