“Most comfortable bed I've ever slept in”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #60 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 6, 2007

We just came back from a weekend visit to Toronto. We stayed at the Delta Chelsea Hotel. It was Caribana weekend which is a Caribbean festival held annually. Apparently, there is a lot of trouble during this festival as evidenced by the great number of police everywhere and the heightened security in the hotel.
You actually had to wear a wristband that was given to you at the time of check-in to reenter the hotel on Saturday night. The room was recently renovated. We had a deluxe King room. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in and I've stayed at a lot of nice hotels!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank aragornsgirl

Reviewed July 31, 2007

We stayed in one of the Delta's "Premium" rooms over the weekend July 28th-30th. Now for the price you pay for this room, don't expect anything like you would get in say Niagara Falls or what not. The room is fairly small, but still none the less very neat, very tidy and the beds and pillows are incredibly comfy. You are more paying for location, which is great actually. Your right on Young Street, and have a short walk over to the College Station for the subway which can take you all over.

The one problem I had with the hotel was the apparent "balcony access" they advertised on the website. For me, I have never stayed at a hotel that had a balcony, so this was going to be an experience for me, I pictured being able to just sit out on the balcony in the evening and just relax, unfortunately this was not possible. Even though my room did have a balcony (a very small, dirty one with nothing on it ) I didn't even have a door to it! I had to climb through a small window to get out to the balcony. Some rooms from what I could see did have a door to the balcony, however they weren't any better. Before making and finalizing my reservation, I asked numerous times about the balcony, making sure every room had one and I was told "yes" each and every time, I guess they just forgot to add you can't get to alot of them?

The hotel needs to do some major work to the exterior of the building, looks very ratty including all the balconies The interior of the hotel looks amazing, was very impressed with it all.

4  Thank adblink
Reviewed July 27, 2007

The Delta Chelsea hotel is in a great location for tourists visiting Toronto, as it is centrally located and a pretty easy walk to almost all of the major tourist sites. The hotel is okay, but the details are just not there. We originally booked a Delta room, but called to upgrade the room, because we wanted a balcony. When we checked in we asked if the upgrade and balcony were what we were getting, and were assured we were. When we got to the room, however, the balcony was there, but a special lock had been put ont he sliding door, so it opened no more than 8 inches. We called and complained, and were told to come to the desk to get a new room. When we got to the front desk the clerk told us they had already upgraded us (which was not true, I paid for the upgrade), but in the end they upgraded us to a Premier room. This room had a balcony we could go out on, and stand among the trash that was on the balcony and stayed there throughout our 4 night stay.
Additionally, the hallways had water stains on the carpet, our bathroom had numerous broken tiles, an exhaust fan that didn't work (in fact, had no switch to start it), had a television behind the sitting chair and literally next to the bed. Whenever we asked a question of staff we were told different answers to our questions, so that we came to see it as a game to ask simple questions (like directions or whether any specific services/amenities were in the hotel). The hotel advertises free wireless internet int he lobby, but even sitting under one of the signs the signal was so weak we could not get it to work. The in-room advertising card said that internet service was $9.95/day, but ended up being $11.95.
All in all, if you are just looking for a convenient place to sleep, the Delta Chelsea is okay. However, if you expect any level of service or anything even close to "nice", stay elsewhere.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tewks
Reviewed July 27, 2007

I looked forward to my stay at the Delta Chelsea. I have stayed there several times, but that was at least twenty years ago when it was a "first class" hotel....before the large addition, and before the "kiddie activities." It is now a tourist hotel. Be aware that there are NOT color coded "towers"...but rather color coded floors on which particular elevators stop. I checked in for a 3 night stay and requested a "red" room....as recommended in a previous review.....wrong! The room was tiny, shabby and worst of all, it had a terrible odor. I thought I would open the balcony door to "air it out"...but that door was jammed. Also, the glass on the door and windows was filthy...almost opaque. I had traveled all day and decided to go to bed and "live with" the odor. The next moring, the smell was worse than ever....it really smelled like something had "died" in the room. I did not relish approaching the front desk with a request to move...for some reason...all to many desk clerks seem to have an "attitude" problem. Luckily, such was not the case....the desk clerk was professional and quick to move me....and apologized for the problem...when was the last time that you heard a desk clerk apologize at a U.S. hotel? The next room was "night and day" from the first....large, clean, recently renovated, and completely comfortable. My point is....how, or why, does this hotel continue (as I've read in other reviews) to have both good and bad room situations, without doing something about it? In any case, rather than "toss the dice" again at the Chelsea, I think I'll stay elsewhere next visit to Toronto.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank TravelerFL
Reviewed July 24, 2007

Stay: 1 night july ,13 2007.

Room small but CLEAN and NICE!
Stayed in the renovated section of hotel
Room service good
there is a charge for parking
Near The ACTION & walking distance to EATON CENTER
Difficult to get to hotel during RUSH HOUR but overall I would stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank drdavid5
Reviewed July 24, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights. Having read some of the reviews on here I was a little anxious, however, had no problems whatsoever. Check in took only 15 minutes and we were upgraded to a room on the Signature Floor (24th floor). The room and bathroom were clean and tidy and the bed comfortable. We had our breakfast each morning in The Market Garden which offered plenty of choice at a reasonable price for a downtown hotel. The Airporter and Hop On Hop Off tourist bus stops right outside the front door. Overall, I would have no qualms in returning to this hotel.

5  Thank DWhiteBasingstoke
Reviewed July 22, 2007

Important tip for guests with cars: instead of parking in the extremely overpriced garage of the Delta Chelsea itself ("special rate" for guests = over $28/day once you add in various taxes), park in the public garage next door whose entrance is just to the left of the Elm Street entrance to the Delta Chelsea garage. At the public garage, you will have to pay each time you use it and you will have to decide in advance how long to buy your ticket for (or you may have to buy another ticket if you need to park for more time), but you can use a credit card at the ticket machine, and the rates are much cheaper than the hotel's rates: for example, 12 overnight hours (6pm-6am) cost only $6.

Our room had two standard double beds. It is rare these days for mid-priced hotels to have beds smaller than queen size, but the room was definitely too small for bigger beds. As it was, the space between the foot of the beds and the dresser was tighter than I'm used to. The end of the room with the upholstered chair and small table and desk was also not particularly roomy, so that direction would also not have tolerated the additional width of larger beds.

The room seemed to have been renovated reasonably recently, but the outside balcony had an old rough cement floor and the paint on the divider from the balcony next door was chipped and peeling. The bathroom had a nice granite (or synthetic) counter, but the sink bowl had a long crack along the bottom. The bathroom items like shampoo and soap were nice "boutique" types with pleasant and mild citrus scents.

There is free WiFi in the lobby. You have to pay an additional fee of approx $11/day to get Internet service in your room. We did not pay for this service. I found a wireless keyboard in the dresser, so presumably it could be used to access the Internet through the TV.

We had breakfast one morning at the Marketplace Cafe in the hotel ground floor. It is done in food court "cafeteria" style, but you can get made-to-order hot dishes such as an omelette platter with potatoes and toast for reasonable prices ($6-8). It was a better breakfast at a better price than the one we had at the vegetarian restaurant right next door on Elm St.

There are many different restaurants on Elm Street, right next door or across the street from the hotel. This was convenient when we came in later than we planned on the first night and wanted to get a decent dinner without having to drive somewhere.

We did not use the pool because we didn't have time, but the hotel info says that it has a pool with a really long water slide with part of the tube going outside of the building which we saw from the outside.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank GS-CS_leader