“Disappointed with the lack of customer service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chelsea Hotel, Toronto

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #58 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
ontario canada
“Disappointed with the lack of customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

We often stay at the Delta Hotels in Ontario and needed to go to the consulate downtown Toronto early this morning. We are a family of six. Called the Delta to ask for a room and that we would bring sleeping bags for our 3rd and 4th child. They would not accomodate us and the best they could do was give us a family room for 300 dollars or rent us two double rooms for 150 each. On top of that parking is 32 dollars.
We are honest people who would not sneak our children in. When calling hotels we always tell them of our numbers and see what they say. We also talked to the manager who was not helpful. Felt rather discriminated against. We located another hotel close by which worked out just fine with one room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank lucilleOntarioCanada
TorontoJon, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, September 9, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

I am deeply sorry that we were not able to find suitable accomodation for you and your family. We unfortunately have to set occupancy limits on our rooms to ensure that all of our guests are safe in their room.

On your next visit to Toronto, please do feel free to contact me persnally and I promise to do my best to ensure you and your family are well looked after.

Delta Chelsea Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buffalo, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

I was excited when I booked my reservation at the Delta Chelsea in Toronto. I had fine memories of staying there about 10 years ago and it is in a wonderful location. When I checked-in at about 6 pm, the desk clerk could not find my reservation. I produced a copy of my confirmation number for a two night stay. The desk clerk found my reservation but said that they did not have a room with two double beds for both nights and that I would have to switch rooms for the second night. I said that we were traveling with small children and a lot of stuff and this would be inconvenient. I offered to take a room with one King bed and she said that she did not have a room with a king bed I could stay in two nights!?! I asked why the hotel accepted my reservation for two nights if they could not accommodate me and she said something about "(Our partner site) does this to people all the time..." I asked if the room change could be done automatically, and she said that we would have to check out, come down to the front desk and check-in again. She said that for $15 dollars extra they would "upgrade" us and we could stay in the same room both nights. Out of frustration I agreed.

The actions of the hotel feel fraudulent and like a clear bait and switch. I have never heard of having to pay for an upgrade after the hotel and their booking partners cannot communicate effectively about the rooms that are available on a given night. This was not my error and I had to pay for it. The total cost that I paid for a mediocre “upgraded" room could have bought me a much more pleasant experience at a number of other hotels within walking distance.

I would not suggest staying at the Delta Chelsea in Toronto.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

This is not at all the experience we hope our guests encounter. Nor is it the way we conduct our business. I am terribly sorry that this was your experience. I have not encountered a complaint of this nature in the past.

We are reviewing your complaint to ensure that it does not repeat itself.

I invite you to contact me directly, should you need anything in the future.

Delta Chelsea Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

I stayed at the Delta for six nights,the room was great , excellent housekeeping, I did not have breakfast included in my package but a coffee-pot , coffee, teabags and milk was provided. I wish there was a small refrigerator to hold cold drinks or left over food which I had to purchase elsewhere because of cost and a microwave to heat it up. However, it is a nice place away from home and easy access to mostly everything in the Downtown area, I would recommend it to someone wishing to spend a short time in Toronto.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We monitor Tripadvisor very carefully to ensure we are delivering the best experience possible to our guests.

Niagara Falls
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

Having stayed at this location before with our children when they were young was a great place........ now it shows it age not much money has been spent on upgrades ... hotel looks and feels worn .... can find much better at same rates nearby....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy your stay. We are currently in the middle of renovating all of our guest room corridors. We are also finishing off a large scale room renovation.

I hope that in the future, you will think about trying us again.

Farmington Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

I have stayed at the Delta Chelsea several times over the past 12 years. I stayed in a Club Level room which gave us access to the Club Lounge. Continental breakfast was decent but not much in the way of protein. You had a choice of either hard boiled eggs or cold ham and cheese. It would be good if you are a carb lover. Staff was friendly and housekeeping very helpful. Concierge Desk staff were a little snooty. Great place to stay if you want to wander along Yonge Street. Within easy walking distance to Eaton Center/

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I was happy to see that overall you enjoyed your stay. We have noted your comments about the continental breakfast and the concierge staff.

Thanks again,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

The Delta Chelsea in Toronto is a great hotel well located downtown Toronto, only 3 minutes away from Dundas Square and the Eaton Center. Also very close to the subway. The rooms are spacious, the beds are comfortable and some rooms have balconies. There’s always a happy ambiance in the lobby. The bars and restaurants offer good food and drinks. The Garden Market is a cafeteria-style restaurant with a lot of variety to choose from and offers a nice terrace where you can enjoy your meal.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank mtl-wasa
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We were pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay.

Thanks again,

Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2010

What a awesome place to stay when in Toronto. Restaurants are excellent and room service was top notch. Room was spacious and comfortable.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple