“Horrible room”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #60 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 9, 2007

When I arrived, all they had for me was a room for handicap people or smokers. I decided to go for the room for handicap. When I got to the room, the room was not ready. The bead was not made, full coffee cups were lying around. For a moment, I wondered if someone was still in the room. When I went back to the reception they offered me to wait to have the room cleaned (they also mentioned that all the cleaning personnel had gone home) or the smoking room. I then decided to go for the smoking room. Since these rooms are almost the last refuge for smokers, needless to say that the room stunk and was dirty.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank Trav232
There are newer reviews for Chelsea Hotel, Toronto

Reviewed May 8, 2007

Stayed at this hotel as part of a two centre offer to Toronto & Niagara Falls.

Hotel is very very large, takes up a whole block. There are door to 4 different streets. Large clean lobby, great service from staff.
Rooms were of a good size with 2 double beds, TV, Balcony, Bathroom with Shower over bath. Clean and well looked after.
a couple of good resturant's but cheaper food options out and about. Handy gift shop with typical tourist tatt, newspapers and magazines etc.
Deck 27 is equipped with a fair sized pool, sauna, jacuzzi, etc.

I would stay here again, no worries.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled with friends
1  Thank rgscotland
Reviewed May 7, 2007

Stayed at the Chelsea for the weekend. The room was small, but comfortable and clean. The location is excellent for shopping and dining. My only warning is that if you purchase a package with a food credit, make sure that you keep your receipts. We had a meal credit of $25 per day which we used in one of the restaurants. When we went to check out they had charged us the full cost of one meal (claimed that they had already taken off the $25) and there was another charge against our room that wasn't even ours. Fortunately we had our receipts to prove what the totals were. The hotel, was very good about it, removing all food charges from our bill, however, a hoped for quick check out took over half an hour, while they searched through restaurant receipts.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Griffindor
Reviewed April 30, 2007

We stayed at the Delta Chelsea for 6 nights during the mid part of our honeymoon. Upon arrival our first thoughts were positive, very grand lobby, helpful and friendly staff.

Then we got to our 5th floor room. The smell of damp and mildew was overwhelming, the decor was plain dreadful and the general cleanliness was poor.

Straight back down to reception, after much debate and a manager coming over we had our room changed - upto the 12th floor.

Same decor but no smell of damp and slightly cleaner.

A very poor hotel extremely overrated and a long walk from anywhere.

Do not waste your money.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ng1234
Reviewed April 23, 2007

I've stayed in the Delta Chelsea twice now. Once in March during March break and then more recently over Easter. The first time we weren't sure what to expect. However, we were more than pleased so we returned a second time. I really can't praise it too much. The room (make sure you get a renovated one) was more than comfortable and very clean. The staff was extremely helpful. My son and I both enjoyed the slide pool and I, the adult one. The hotel is located right downtown, so it's a great location. Easy to pop back to if you want to rest or drop off your shopping. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Mazyar
Reviewed April 19, 2007

I last stayed at the Delta Chelsea in May 2002 and decided to book again after a very enjoyable stay. I have been quite nervous since reading some of the recent reviews and wondered if I had made a big mistake, especially as a friend was travelling with me who had never visited Toronto before. I was very relieved and am sorry if other visitors have had negative experiences, but we were more than happy with the hotel.
The check in clerk was very helpful and polite, as were all the staff we encountered. Our room decor was admittedly, maybe a little tired, but it was spotless and well equipped. Our maid was very efficient and when my friend was feeling under the weather one day, she and the floor supervisor went out of the way to be helpful.
Overall we had a wonderful time and I will happily book there for our next trip.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank flossie-anne
Reviewed April 15, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived in my room at the Delta Chelsea in Toronto. We had a king bed , a view of the CN tower, and a little balcony right off the room. The staff was very friendly and accomodating; the room was clean and comfortable.

The only downsides-there were some problems with the elevators and I found the food in the Market Cafe to be quite overpriced (we paid approximately $25 CAN for breakfast!).

The hotel offers parking for $23 CAN per day with unlimited in/out privileges. The other option is to park in one of the lots around the hotel for $8 per day, not including in/out privileges or guarantee of finding a spot. For an additional $6 ($29 CAN per day) you can take advantage of the valet parking.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple