“Fab hotel”

Ranked #60 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Alton, Hampshire,
“Fab hotel”
Reviewed September 20, 2006

We had a really fabulous stay at the Delta Chelsea and would stay again and highly recommend it to all friends, collegues etc

• Stayed November 2005, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Auckland, NZ
Reviewed August 23, 2006

I had read some bad reviews and was a little concerned about staying here, but my fears were unfounded.
I stayed for 7 nights while attending the International AIDS Conference. I noticed many other delegates staying at the hotel while I was there.
Yes, the lobby is busy and bustling, but that is no reason to complain! I found it just created a "homely" atmosphere and I was interested to see all the diverse groups of people we had staying there.
When I arrived, there was no queue for checking in. The girl at the desk was extremely polite and helpful, and I was able to upgrade my room to one of the Deluxe rooms for only $20/night instead of $45/night.
My room was very nice. I was impressed with the redecorating that had been done. Hopefully they will eventually get around to redecorating all the rooms, and the corridors (which were a little worse for wear, but who cares they are just corridors!)
The room was serviced beautifully everyday, and I was extremely impressed with the food from the Market Garden and from the Pub. I didn't eat at the Bistro but it looked great as well.
The concierge was very helpful, especially with regard to picking my bags up from my room on the day of departure and ordering a limery car to take me to the airport.
The hotel is very close to the Eaton Centre, a HUGE shopping mall that I visited a couple of times. There are nice restaurants nearby, and the subway is only one block away.
The pool and spa on the top floor was nice, and hardly ever busy. I had a relaxing swim and nobody was in the pool or the spa at the same time as me. The gym also looked good although I didn't get around to trying it out.
I was very happy with the hotel and feel that many of the people writing the bad reviews are just TOO PICKY!! There is really no need to complain about some of the things they were moaning about, I honestly think some people have ridiculous expectations! I found the staff to be friendly and courteous at all times - perhaps they are rude when guests have a bad attitude?!!
I would happily stay at the Delta Chelsea again, and would recommend it to anybody. It sure does seem like a great place for families, I'm sure my boys would have loved the water slide and the kids area.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
19 Thank NZTravelGirl
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 22, 2006

I recently stayed at the Delta Chelsea Hotel in Toronto - the service and policies are very poorly advertised, written, and clarified to incoming customers and don't reflect well on its 4 star rating.

I arrived at Gerrard Street after a 10 hour drive to be greeted by hotel workers protesting their recent suspensions. I needed a police escort to enter the garage to park my car. Hotel desk staff ignored the situation out front, and pretended it didn't exist.

The receptionist I dealt with lied about the quoted balance being charged to my credit cards that day. I wasn't informed about the hotel policy of requiring an additional $200.00 deposit at check in time. I found out about this when checking out and reviewing my bill. (The hotel staff and management I dealt with wouldn't provide a paper statement verifying this fact at check in. You are forced to check your credit card history / activity for the hotel's charges to your credit card.) While most of the desk staff are personable and professional, there are employees who need updating and retraining in customer relations.

Food from the restaurants and room service is of average quality - very disappointing for the expense incurred.

Although this is a very convenient location to shops and other attractions, it borders a seamy section of the city. I wouldn't recommend walking near the Yonge Street entrance after 9:00 pm at night - many street people congregate in the area with questionable activity occurring. Travel buses also arrive continually at the hotel - the lobby resembles Union Station, with staff difficult to find.

I discovered there is a communication disconnect (miscommunication) occurring between AAA in the U.S., CAA in Canada, and the hotel regarding reservation policies, etc. AAA recommended this hotel, but I wouldn't visit or stay here again.

4 Thank worker1bee

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

England
Reviewed August 20, 2006

Really enjoyed our stay at the Delta Chelsea. The hotel and service were excellent. I thought the room would have been slightly better than it was for the price. It was clean and well kept but looked slightly older than I expected. If you are thinking of any visits to CN Tower, Niagara Falls, etc, check with hotel services first as they are able to book everything for you and the deals/service is better. They can also book an executive car to take you to the airport - this worked out the same price as the coach for 4 of us and only took 1/2 hour. The children loved the swimming pool and facilities. There were varied, organised activities for the kids each day and evening, which they enjoyed. The hotel was in a central area for the sights and shopping. We walked everywhere but the subway was not far. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

9 Thank Sheena_Goulding
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2006

We recently visited the Delta Chelsea hotel in down town Toronto, and did all the touristy things whilst in the city, visited C.N. tower, a Blue Jays baseball match, a behind the scenes Rogers stadium tour, shopped ‘till we dropped in the Eaton Center and walked for miles and miles in the underground “path” shopping malls that are under the city!
On the saturday there was the Caribana festival parade and there was an influx of guests to the Delta Chelsea that were obviously in town just for the festival, over the weekend the hotel corridors seemed to be the place to party for some reason. We had to, unfortunately, call the hotel front desk twice over the weekend in the early hours of the morning, to ask them to send security to stop the noise from the corridors. Don't get me wrong, i like to party, but this was at 02:30 in the morning and we'd had some very fun and busy days touring the city so we needed to sleep. Not an unreasonable request! Admittedly upon my asking securiy was sent and after each time things did quieten down for a little while.
Some of the other guests aside, the hotel itself we really enjoyed, friendly and helpful staff, the food in the market place restaurant was suberb with a wide array of reasonably priced dishes ranging from snacks to meals.
The room we were alocated had recently been refurbished and was clean and tidy. Housekeeping was always done to the highest standard.
All in all i'd probably recommend the Delta Chelsea hotel, just not on the Caribana weekend unless you actually want a few sleepless nights!

12 Thank robbycox
Falls Church, VA
Reviewed August 8, 2006

We selected this hotel in large part because of the pool with a tube slide and because it promoted itself as kid-friendly. The pool was much smaller than it looked in the photos. It was crowded and the water seemed a bit cloudy. My daughter did the slide once. Other aspects of the hotel were okay. It was a block from a subway station. The room was fine but generally ordinary. Basically, it wasn't anything special and if we go to Toronto again, we'll try somewhere else.

3 Thank Small_family_mom
beverly hills
Reviewed August 6, 2006

I recently stayed at the Delta Chelsea hotel .and was very satisfied with my room and the service I received.

The room was spacious and clean and the two restaurants in the hotel offered good choices at a reasonable price.

There is a wonderful pool and healthclub on the top floor of the hotel with a great view of the city

The hotel is very centrally located close to the subway, and shopping and some good restaurants.

I was very impressed with the friendly efficient service I received from all members of staff.

• Liked — location and service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends