“Amazing Service and helpful staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chelsea Hotel, Toronto

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #58 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing Service and helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2009

My wife’s and my stay at the Delta Chelsea Hotel started out rather nondescript. The check-in process was easy and our room was a nice size, plus it had a balcony. By the end of our stay in the hotel I became a big fan. On our way back from Niagara Falls we stopped off at a little shop and while inside someone hit our rental car, and did not leave a note. So after informing the insurance company I was e-mailed paperwork which needed to be completed. When we got back to the hotel I sought out the business center. Originally it was closed but a kind gentleman opened it up for me after I explained what happened. Then to top it off, he did not charge me the $6 to use internet or the $0.75 per page to print out the forms. If that wasn’t enough when we awoke the next morning there was a little note left under our door which included an apology note from the hotel for what happened to our car and a complimentary breakfast for two at their buffet, which was really good, and way above and beyond what other hotels would do. Lastly the hotel even waived one night of parking.
I can’t thank the Delta Chelsea Hotel enough for what they did. They turned an event that could have left a sour taste on our honeymoon into an opportunity for the hotel to shine. If I make it back to Toronto one day the only hotel I’m staying at is this one.

1 Thank JPDucks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

While the lobby of this hotel is beautiful, everything else after this first impression was disappointing.
I had a terrible time checking in with a seemingly incompetent front desk. I booked this hotel via priceline and the hotel confirmed my request for non-smoking 2 double bed rooms, but the front desk had no record of this. They were unable to allow me to check in for all 4 rooms I had already reserved and paid for, and required each member of my party to wait in line for 20 minutes as they arrived. I use priceline regularly and have never encountered this policy before. We ended up with 4 rooms all over the hotel, when I had requested adjacent rooms.
I later asked to leave a key for two members of our party who were stuck in traffic, and left the key under one of their names. The front desk then refused to release the key to her when she got there, demanding the second person indicate what room she was registered in. The rooms are tiny, dated and tired. I payed a fraction of the regular price, but was still disappointed with the service and value.

• Stayed November 2009
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2009

Clearly anyone who rates this anything above a 2 star rating has very very low standards...that or is accustomed to trailer parks. The only thing this place has going fo rit is the location - period. NOTHING else. It's one notch above a motel. Don't let the pictures or bright lights as you drive in fool you. D-U-M-P. Best way to describe it. Old furniture, dirty rugs and counches...and I won't even get into the bathroom details. I took the fastest shower. If cardboard towels, smelly carpet and disgustingly dated and chipped furnatire is your thing...then this place is for you. ALL OTHERS Stay away. My company was paying for this dump, but I would never ever come back again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2009

We got an upgrade even though we booked with Hotwire, so instead of a regular room for 2 we got a bigger room with a kitchen. The king size bed was comfy and very big. There was also a couch, table and a chair in the room. We would have needed two chairs though, but I guess you can't really complain given the deal that we got...

The cleaning staff missed us once (we left at 3pm), but otherwise they did a good job. They even washed our dishes!

The Bistro + Brasserie restaurants downstairs serve good food. The cafeteria on the other hand is hideous and the smell from their fried food isn't very pleasant since it can also be smelt in the lobby all the time.

We also liked the free wi-fi in the lobby and an opportunity to wash laundry. The washing machines are in the women's and men's locker rooms though, so it was a little hard doing laundry in the same place where people are changing clothes etc. (there is limited space).

Our room was facing Gerrard street on the 6th floor. At first it wasn't easy getting used to the noise from the traffic (e.g. ambulance sirens since the hospital is in the same block), but we got used to it eventually. After we turned the heater on the noise that thing made was way louder than the traffic - so in a way got them sounds blocked pretty well. :)

1 Thank Travelfunsies
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

Hotel was conveniently located, room and common areas were very clean, excellent service, and decent food. Well priced (fall special).

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2009

I have just returned from a stay at the Delta Chelsea. I stayed there from the 22nd to the 27th October. Having read some of the reviews before i left i was a little worried. When i arrived at the hotel check in was swift and Maria was very helpful giving us information on the hotel. I had a room on the 14th floor and i must be honest the room was lovely. The corridor to the room was nice and clean. There were three of us sharing a room and it was big enough for us. As we had just arrived we went in to the Market Garden restaurant in the hotel for some food. There was enough choice and it was made fresh while you waited. I found the food to be good value for money. The hotel was in a central position for the Eaton Centre and many of the other shops. Places like Chinatown and the CN Tower could be reached by foot.. During my stay the only complaint i had was the pillows in the room. They were far too soft but you could make do. I found the hotel was spotless and the staff were very friendly nothing was too much trouble. If i was to visit Toronto again i would stay at the Delta Chelsea again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Sharon M
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2009

I booked this hotel through Priceline.com and got a very cheap rate. I was happy with the rate and location, but that's about it. When I arrived at the hotel, my wife and I were given a room on the 9th floor. This floor is not renovated, and you could tell. It was like walking into a cheap $39/night motel. The entire 9th floor was dirty and smelled. There were scuffs all over the walls and the wall paper was peeling. The room was worse. It smelled musty, the carpet was dirty and stained, the wallpaper was peeling, the bed comforter was gross, and the room was very hot. I turned on the temp as low as possible, and left for a few hours. When I got back the room was even hotter. I complained and was "upgraded" to a room on the 17th floor. This room was slightly less gross, but it was still hot, musty, and dirty.

This hotel is at best a 1 1/2 star hotel. Do yourself a favor and don't stay here.

2 Thank Brivpa