“Decent hotel, city prices”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #60 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Busy hotel, lower rates by comparison to others in Toronto. "Upgraded rooms" are an extra $20, didn't see a room that wasn't upgraded so can't comment on that but upgraded room was nice enough, nothing extravagent. Parking lot in cellar very convenient (for a fee, no in/out charges). Didn't use resturants in hotel-3 to choose from. Travelling with two boys so pool and game room were nice amenities. Overall pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (6,689)

Reviewed August 8, 2009

Lobby overcrowded; very slow check-in process due to a shortage of personnel. In the small room was a queen bed with too soft a mattress; we did not sleep well. The air conditioning had limited functions whereas you could not have a simple flow of air throughout the night. Bathtub needs to be replaced. Personnel is very courteous.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Booked through hotwire and got a great rate, although the hefty parking fees ($26/day) were tacked on to the stay. The hotel is nice and clean, has all amenities normal for a hotel of this size and class. We found all the staff very nice and helpful.

It's a bit of a walk to the CN tower/Rogers center, but it takes you right through the shopping area. Its in a bustling downtown area, full of shops, and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Got a last minute deal at Hotwire for $75 per night. When I arrived, check-in was exceptionally fast. The young lady at the reception desk was so friendly and efficient. She upgraded me to a deluxe room and was extremely helpful and informative. The room was spacious, clean, and more than I was expecting. The hotel is situated away from the harbor area, but very close to pubic transport, so getting around was not an issue. I never needed to use the car. There was ample parking and the area around the hotel was active, but safe. Overall, it was a fantastic find. The parking fee was reasonable considering that the private lots in the area were only a couple of dollars cheaper, outdoors, and did not provide 24 hour attendants. Check-out was as easy as check-in. Again, friendly and efficient staff. I would highly recommend the Delta Chelsea

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Myself and a group of friends decided to go together for Toronto Pride 2009. This is my fourth year going and second year staying the weekend. Last year we also stayed at the Delta Chelsea.

We booked plenty early and were able to book two Premier rooms for $199 each plus tax, then switch them down to $149 per room before tax when the hotel put them on sale. An excellent deal seeing as we paid the $199 the previous year and found it not an unreasonable price.

This year I signed up for Delta Privilege which certainly came in handy! Its free to sign up and I encourage that you do if you travel often to Delta hotels. The staff at the Delta Privilege desk were VERY helpful and were the best of the best at the hotel. Martina in particular was a pleasure to have taking care of us, she was very friendly and went out of her way to ensure we were happy right through our stay.

We were happy to find at check in that our request for connecting rooms had been honored and that we were upgraded to Deluxe rooms. These rooms are slightly larger and with much nicer furnishings than the Premier rooms. The iPod connectable clock was very handy for getting some music going! The free bottles of water also helped for what was a rather warm weekend. As always the beds were some of the best that we've had in our travels and provided a great nights sleep. The balcony was a very nice touch and is rare in Toronto. Overall no complaints at all about the rooms. We will always go for the Deluxe room from now on!

A side note about rooms: the Delta rooms are certainly considered a 3 star at best, but Premier, Deluxe and Signature rooms are certainly of a 4 star standard. Remember when booking a basic Delta room that you get what you pay for! You have no right to complain if you aren't willing to pay the $20 for an updated room. Trust me: well worth it. You won't find me in a Delta room again.

The other amenities at the hotel are great for leisure travelers. One of our favourite things is the adults only pool on the top floor. Its great to have the kids and families down in a separate pool and make it a much more exclusive feeling. The staff in the Deck 27 pool were great! Workout area is well equipped and wasn't crowded. The sun deck was a great touch that we had missed last time. Tanning up there felt like your own personal penthouse!

Room service was pricey but that was expected. Downstairs the breakfast at The Marketplace was reasonable for the convenience of having it on-site. I would prefer if wi-fi was included, and not a $12 charge.

Location was fabulous! A block from the Eaton Centre and minutes from the Church Wellesley Village. It doesn't get much better!

Since this stay I've stayed one more time and have two more stays booked so I certainly recommend this. Just remember: don't get the "Delta" room, upgrade to Premier or Deluxe.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank TheJohnStar
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Nothing special about the hotel. It's HUGE. It's the kind of hotel where you expect tour buses to be stopped outside, and 50 people unloading from it. Typical tourist class hotel. Rooms (bed and bathroom) were fine for the night we stayed, but it's nothing to write home about. Location is convenient; only a few blocks from a busy shopping center. The children's pool area seemed a bit run down. Avoid breakfast at the Marketplace (the cafeteria style) restaurant; food was very mediocre.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I stayed at the Delta Chelsea in July 2009 with my husband, 14-year-old niece and 2-year-old daughter. I forgot to check the reviews for this hotel before making my reservations, so I must say I felt a bit worried when I saw all of its bad reviews. Well, after seeing my room, I was quite relieved. It was consistent with 3.5-star hotel standards and very clean. The hotel provides luxurious June Jacobs bath products. The bed offered firm support, and the pillows were big and fluffy – I found these OK, but my husband hated them. I suppose this is a personal thing. I signed up beforehand for the Privilege Delta Program (free on the Delta Website), as recommended in other reviews, but upon our arrival at the hotel at 11 pm, there was no one at the Privilege desk, so we had to stand in line with everybody else at the reception desk, which was actually quite quick, anyway. (I must mention however that when we left on the next day, there were two people attending the Privilege desk, which had no waiting line, and a long waiting line at the regular Reception desk.) I had read on the Delta Website that Privilege members get later check-out times, but I had to ask for this when I checked in, and was given a 1-pm check-out time instead of 11-am. The price I paid included a $25 credit at the hotel’s restaurants, which include a cafeteria. With our $25, we were only able to buy two $8 wrap-style ham sandwiches, which were OK, and two $4 orange juices at the cafeteria. Fortunately, the juice was freshly squeezed and excellent. If you are looking for a hotel downtown, from walking distance to everything, this is a good choice. However, precisely because it is downtown, its surroundings are very noisy at night, with loud music and car noises, which we could hear from our room’s window on the 15th floor. In hindsight, I think we would have preferred a hotel outside of downtown Toronto, with a little more peace and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family