“Do Not Stay Here!”

Ranked #60 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
A TripAdvisor Member
“Do Not Stay Here!”
Reviewed June 27, 2005

My stay at the Delta Chelsea was terrible from the very beginning. Upon check in I was repeatedly told (3 times) by the person at the front desk that I reserved a room with 2 double beds when I had reservation paperwork that clearly stated my reservation was made for a room with a king size bed. After that situation the person at the front desk sent me to the wrong set of elevators (specific elevators only go to certian floors). Upon entering my room I noticed a very large dark stain in the center of the carpeting and when I made the turn around the bed there was another huge stain on the rug. I looked at the window and noticed that the window sheers were torn in multiple places. I called the front desk and requested another room and was told there was nothing they could do because nothing else was available. It was not until I demanded that they switch my room that they put me into a different room (which all they did was put me into a room of a guest that had not checked in yet and then gave them the dirty room). The reason I know this is because after the house keeping person came and inspected the dirty room and took me to the other room I went to the front desk to get the room key for my new room. At that time I was then told that I had not paid and they needed my credit card again. I asked to speak to a manager and was given a run around before eventually the front desk person realized that they had already put another customer into the room that was unacceptable to me and that she was looking up the other customers reservation information. The second room I was placed in was still not what I was expecting either. There was still a large coffee stain on the carpeting, the balcony had obviously not been checked from the last occupant because there were empty alcohol bottles left on the balcony, and there were brownie crumbs underneath the bed when I noticed that one of the legs which held up the center portion of the bed was missing and that was why the bed sagged toward the middle. The Delta Chelsea definitely is not worth the price no matter how much you pay. Especially since they charge you 25 dollars Canadian (with gst) per day to park in the garage on top of what you are already paying for your room. The rooms and facilities are not well maintained and the front desk personnel need some more training because they are unprofessional by my standards. I would suggest individuals stay clear of this hotel and save their time and money and stay somewhere else.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, Ireland
Reviewed June 25, 2005

My wife, daughter and I stayed at this hotel on two separate occasions in June and found it to be excellent in comparison to other hotels during three weeks of travelling throughout Ontario and Quebec. The check in was friendly and accommodated our early arrival on each occasion, all staff were polite and couteous and housekeeping bent over backwards to give us a fridge, kettle and crib at no extra charge. Staff on two occasions waived away offers of tips and the Market Garden restaurant provided a variety of 24 hour food at a great price.
this is the biggest hotel in canada, so don't expect particularly personal service, but the rooms are big enough, cleanliness was not a problem and location was central to everything Toronto has to offer.
you get a free paper to your room each morning, there is a kids pool on the second floor with a slide and a quieter adults pool on the roof, but note that you cannot order drinks to your room, you must go to one of the hotel bars.

9 Thank benceltic
Collingwood, Ontario
Reviewed June 5, 2005

My friend and I just headed to Toronto with our girls for a weekend of fun, theatre and shopping. Delta Chelsea was not our first choice but we booked and kept our fingers crossed. No need to worry, we arrived at 12.30 hoping for an early check in and thats what we got. The reception staff were very friendly and paid attention to the kids who received a great activity package and info on everything the hotel had to offer them. Our room was fine, you want ultimate luxury, then dont come to a family based hotel, because as anyone with kids will tell you, no matter how often you clean and repair, a kid with have it destroyed in 3 minutes flat!. I think the housekeeping staff do an excellent job of providing comfortable clean rooms, yea there was a tiny stain on one of the chairs, probably will never get it out, but thats life, hotels cant dispose of fixtures and fittings every time one gets marked.

Through out our stay, every time we encountered a member of staff they greeted us warmly, enquired after our stay and offered any help if needed. The staff at the Childrens area were particulary friendly and quickly made friends with our daughters, and put us at ease by their careful monitering of all that was going on in such a busy area.

The choice of eating and drinking areas was excellent and the sevice, food and price in the Market area restaraunt was unequalled in any hotel Ive stayed at, and I have stayed at hotels world wide.

I guess some people just arrive at the wrong time or get the wrong room or whatever, its unfortunate when that happens, I also have had nightmare times at other hotels, but I am glad I didnt allow the negative reviews on this site to cloud my vision. We stayed at a very large hotel, on a busy weekend, and the Delta Chelsea did us proud!

Take a chance, if your room isnt exactly what you hoped for....., If it does work out, you and your family will have an awesome time.

13 Thank bluemountainbabe
Rochester, NY
Reviewed May 30, 2005

Hotel was okay for $114cnd/night. Had rooms in the south tower, on 8th floor.

Hotel was busy, but this did not cause any problems with lines at check in/out, the hotel desk took forever to answer the phone on two occasions though.

Hotel Negatives:
1) Central reservations messed up dates for our stay, Hotel was able to correct when I called to confirm.
2) Air conditioner was not working in one of the rooms, hotel handled this issue very poorly (basically did nothing)
3) Rooms on the dirty side, some stains on the carpets and walls.
4) Closet doors in both rooms were difficult to open, due to missing parts and loose screws.
5) Rooms showing a lot of wear definitely in need of renovation.
Hotel Positives:
1) Kids liked the pool, cool slide.
2) If you're ok with Younge St., this is a good central location in downtown.

Probably would not stay here again, although if offered the $168us savings (for two rooms over 3 nights) I might be tempted. If I was getting only one room, and didn't have the kids along, there's no way I'd return...

• Stayed May 2005
8 Thank DRG088

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Blackrock
Reviewed May 23, 2005

We spent 4 nights in this hotel last week as part of a package holiday and we were a bit worried when we read some of the reviews but we needn't have been concerned.The service was first class from the check-in desk to the housekeeping staff who had a pleasant greeting for us when we met on the corridor.
The room was spacious and well furnished and the bathroom was large and well stocked with nice toiletries and big towels were plentiful.
Breakfast in the Market Place restaurant provided a good variety for all tastes and very good value also.
Steve,the concierge,was especially helpful in arranging tours and theatre tickets and had exquisite good manners.
The Delta certainly provides the personal touch and was a great central base for our first visit to beautiful Toronto.

• Stayed May 2005
17 Thank Iris
southampton
Reviewed May 12, 2005

Looking at some of the other reviews on the Delta Chelsea, I'm not quite sure we all stayed in the same hotel!! I stayed at the hotel for 10 nights at the beginning of April 05. The trip combined business and leisure, so I was accompanied by my sister for half the visit and on my own for the remainder. As both a business and tourist hotel it fulfilled all my needs perfectly!!

The location is great. It's one block from the metro, and one block from the Eaton Centre. There are dozens of great resturants within a few minutes walk. The room was excellent - I was somehow fortunate in having not only two double beds but also a lounge area with sofa, chair and coffee table. Beds very comfy, and loads of storage space. Bathroom and other fixtures and fittings all fine.

However it is the range of facilitites that make this hotel. The Marketplace resturant is excellent - no need to pay a fortune for breakfast if you just want a coffee and a bowl of cereal (CAN $5). No need to order expensive room service when you can help yourself to whatever you want and carry it back to your room (e.g. delicious pasta dishes for CAN$8, great soup and salad for even less). Consequenty didn't sample the more upmarket Bistro resturant (too many excellent resturants nearby), but it looked pretty good! Other facilities include two quite different bars; one a sports bar with free popcorn, the other more of a wine bar, but both with great value wines, beers and cocktails. Also, there is a very useful shop, and two great pool areas. One is deck 27 which is for adults only and also has a good gym, a great jacuzzi and views of the CN tower. The other is definitely more municipal; designed for famillies, with a flume, a huge oblong family jacuzzi and a very useful mini laundrette (in the women's changing area - not sure if the men had one too!). This area definitely lacks ambiance, but is I imagine a great facility if you have kids (it also includes a creche area). Probably the least succesful public area is the Deck 27 cocktail bar; great drinks, great views - but alas only open from 8pm on Friday and Saturday nights!!!! No use for a sundowner - the sun is well and truly down before it even opens!! Can only assume it opens earlier and more frequently in summer but why not all year round I have no idea.......

So apart from this were there any other downsides? Well, I guess if you were totally allergic to children then you might be happier elsewhere, but I certainly didn't find them intrusive and there are plenty of 'adult only' spaces. Equally if you are allergic to big hotels then you might prefer to stay elsewhere, but frankly the pay off in terms of facilities is worth having (and note there is an excellent colour coded lift system which means you never wait more than half a minute for the lift - unlike some large hotels!). Also internet access was at typical (i.e expensive) hotel rates - but there is a great internet cafe right outside the door (Yonge St Entrance) - CAN $3 an hour!

However, perhaps the greatest 'lure', especially for UK travellers, is the price of this hotel. I paid just £42 per night for the room (which could have easily taken two adults and two kids) booking with 'Globespan' in the UK. It goes up a bit in summer, but is still great value for a city centre hotel! All in all I believe the Delta Chelsea offers a great base in Toronto, and next time I visit the city it would certainly be my first choice!

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
18 Thank hersoton
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2005

My fiance' and I stayed at The Delta Chelsea during the summer of 2004 in June. It was my fiance's second stay in Toronto and my first. I picked this hotel through some internet research and found the price formidable especially for a downtown location. Everyone knows that hotels charge an arm and a leg for a stay in any downtown room so the price I found on the internet was great! It was a rate of approximately $109.00 CND; considering that I am from the US, the price was cool!
We got there early, about 11 am, so from working at a hotel myself, I didn't expect the room to be ready until after 3pm anyway. They had it ready at 1pm so no complaints there.
Speaking of complaints, it seems that some people just can't stay anywhere without saying something bad about something. The pool area was great! It was heated which was great! The room was clean which was great! The service was fast which was great! I've never seen a housekeeping staff make sure that you don't want service because they didn't want to leave until they were sure you had all your stuff which was great! The front desk staff was great! The concierge was great! The atmosphere was great! (Could come off that $22 a night parking fee, though.)
I mean, when you are out of town on pleasure, do you really expect to stay in the hotel room long enough to inspect the individual carpet fibers? Let"s be real! We walked to almost everywhere we went. It's near shopping and dining and smack dab in the middle of a wondeful city and it's downtown area. Some people complained about prices going up: it's called inflation. Expect it wherever you go!
Bottom line, the Delta Chelsea is a wonderful place to stay with satisfactory accomodations especially if you are looking for a comfortable place to sleep and return to after a long day of sightseeing. GO FOR IT!

• Stayed June 2004