“Good stay, but...”

Ranked #60 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Chicago, IL
“Good stay, but...”
Reviewed June 6, 2009

If thinking about booking a room at Delta Chelsea, spend a few extra bucks to get a "Premier Room". I didn't so had an unrefurbished room with the typical ugly carpeting and bedspread, etc. But I was very happy at the hotel and would stay there again. The location can't be beat - bordering Yonge Street, a couple blocks from Eaton Centre, and around the corner from the bars on Church Street. I appreciated having a balcony to step outside and enoy the view and nice end-of-May weather, although the balcony itself was ugly, contained no furniture and was full of pigeon droppings. The adult pool area was great - high up with a great view and nice to take photos from the sundeck up there. The restaurants downstairs are decent - I only ate breakfast there once and it was good. Staff was always pleasant and said "hello" and even though it is a big and busy hotel, it was easy to check-in, ask a question and check out.

2 Thank keithb789

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2009

First Rule of customer service is don't argue with the customer.

Andrea in guest services did just that.

What happened?
I returned to my room on the last night of my visit to find the do not disturb sign on my door gone which I know I placed on the door before I left.
I enter my room no Don not disturb sign on the inside of the door either to find sure enough housekeeping had cleaned my room and were pretty much hands on with everything I owned in the room, suit case moved laptop opened up things on the desk neatly arranged.
Now I can understand the hallway is a fairly public place someone may have taken the do not disturb sign and housekeeping didn't see it, so I call guest services to ask if it was noted that the do not disturb sign was missing for my room.

A lady named Andrea picked up the phone; I asked my question and she was immediately confrontational "sir, first of all we would never enter your room if you had put the do not disturb sign on the door in the first place".

I explained to Andrea that I prefer my privacy from the beginning to the end of my stay. in another words the do not disturb sign is posted out side of my room for the duration of my stay.

Andrea's response is a curt "well sir I will tell you that you must have not put it on your door".

I tell Andrea I actually did make sure it was on the door before I left in the morning because it had fallen off when I opened the door to leave and I had picked it up and placed it on the door.

Andrea in another curt and short voice says she is going to call the manager and see what they say.

ok...? 15minutes pass...

Andrea calls back to tell me brashly that the manager says I didn't put the sign on my door this morning.

I ask her how the manager would have that information?

Andrea's condescending response was as follows "because if you had, then your room wouldn't have been cleaned" like it was the punchline to a joke.

I explain to Andrea that I kind of felt a little uncomfortable with her tone and the way she was handling the situation more than the broken taboo of the do not disturb sign.

she says she will talk to the front desk and call me back.

before I can ask her why she would need to talk to the front desk when she's already spoken with the manager she hangs up.

I did not receive a call back the rest of the night.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

eagles34
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Probably would give the hotel 4.5 out of 5. I liked most things about it. Didn't have the problems waiting for the elevators or the crowds like alot of other people had. They gave me a renovated room which was real nice but it looked like the they only renovated about 80% of it. The balcony was old like people said but looked at it as a plus to even have one because alot of high rise hotels don't anymore. Internet worked great and not too expensive. Parking was a little expensive (I think 20 in canadian) and was the only part of the hotel I didn't like alot - the lot was real tight and confusing and old. Fortunately everything is nearby so you could park your car and forget about it until you leave. Liked everything else - location and service was great. Had alot of options to eat inside the hotel that were pretty cheap. Also the bed was awesome - only hotel I slept at in a while the didn't hurt my back.

1 Thank eagles34
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 28, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. The double room was small, cramped, dark, furnished with dated furniture and sad. You could tell the room was probably nice in the early 1980s. It seemed mostly clean to be fair but the dreariness of the room made it feel dirty.

My balcony was locked with a bar that prevented you from stepping out onto it so it was pointless. The balcony was also a hangout for birds since it was covered heavily in bird excrement. It was not pleasant to look at.

The elevators are not enough for a hotel of this size and are extremely slow. There was typically a cue to squeeze onto one and often I would wait for a couple to pass before I could manage to get on one. The elevators were a complete time waster. Sometimes I used the stairs as a faster option.

The upsides are the location and the ground floor restaurant . It is convenient to nightlife on Church Street and the shopping in the Yonge Dundas area. The restaurant on the ground floor served a good breakfast and was very busy.

Hotel staff are pleasant but again nothing special. It you are looking for exceptional service you will not find it here. It was adequate like everything else this hotel offers.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christofu
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Huge hotel, with good service and clean rooms. Very centrally located, walking distance to many attractions and facilities, and about a two minute walk from the subway. The food in the hotel is a bit expensive (as are most hotel restaurants), but there are lots of places to eat right next to the hotel, with a 24 hour pharmacy and many convenience stores within a five minute walk.

Maryland
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Upgraded room to a newly renovated room when checking in. The bedding in the room was comfortable and seemed clean. However, the bathroom was not. The tub had dirt built-up and was nasty. I felt like I needed to wear shoes.
It is a very large hotel with a lot of activity. Our room on the 16th floor did not have good insulation to keep out external noise. We heard everything in the hallway and from the neighbors throughout the stay. Stayed in a 4 star hotel at Niagara Falls the previous night and it was not like this at all. I am not sure why this hotel is 4 stars on some sites.
Also the patio was shared and not finished - bare cement.

• Stayed May 2009
2 Thank travlhappy
Saginaw, MI
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Five things you need to know:
1) Go with the upgrade: We landed the room through an unbelievable web-deal--the one that rhymes with "fire" (not "fine"). After learning the hotel's identity I was concerned about the mixed room reviews on Trip Advisor. We followed the TA advice from others to get the $20/night upgrade-it's definitely worth itl!!! The room was much newer and nicer than their baseline rooms, PLUS even after the $$$ upgrade, the total rate was still better than anything else you can find in town. (Just know you'll also get hit with a $26/day parking charge, but that's standard for downtown hotels).
2) Great location: A good home base if you're plan is to "do Toronto." There's a general buzz in the hotel lobby all the time (compared with tranquility at somewhere like the King Edward). Fits the Yonge Street feel where the full city experience is right outside your door (sights, smells, sounds, everything). If you're trying to "get away from it all," this isn't your place.
3) Convenient food options: Good food offerings within the hotel, but everything you'd want is nearby (from fine dining to pizza by the slice). Coffee was o.k., but Starbucks and Tim Horton's were both just a couple blocks away.
4) Service satisfactory (not much more). Had a couple requests of the staff during our stay. They were eventually honored, but felt begrudgingly.
5) Adult pool and fitness center a hidden gem (26th floor with plenty of state of the art work out equipment).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple