“Acceptable but Showing her Age”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #59 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Sarnia, Canada
“Acceptable but Showing her Age”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed overnight in the Eaton Chelsea, and although the main reception areas are well kept and look like a four star hotel, perhaps some rooms need work. We compare it to our stay a few years ago when it was the Delta Chelsea and although not the same room,I don't remember the previous washroom looking so dated. New tiles, grouting and wallpaper are needed. The ceiling had a very noticeable patch job in the bedroom area but was otherwise okay. The room did not reflect what greeted you in the main foyer. Staff in the reception area however were very pleasant and friendly.
Breakfast was adequate in the market, also not really up to the charges. We would possibly stay again if we received a good price but know now what to expect.

Room Tip: Look for a good rate or package which will balance it all out.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 24vacation
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear 24Vacation,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of your recent stay at the Chelsea. We are pleased that your overall experience was enjoyable. We look forward to continuing our renovations throughout the hotel and are excited for the completion. Your feedback has been shared with our Rooms Division for review as we seek our greatest areas of opportunity.

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013

If you are just staying for a night it doesn't really matter. For all other reasons it is a typical 3 star hotel with the only thing going for it is good location for a sane price. Room was semi dirty not too discusting but not too clean. Same with the bathroom... The elevators were super busy at the evening for some reason (old and slow is the reason)
I'm not even sure it is worth a review with the level of mediocrity this hotel is...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank wacko_654
Dear Wacko_654,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Eaton Chelsea Toronto. I must apologize that your experience was nothing special and deemed average. Our goal is to provide exceptional service which creates memories for our guests. I apologize that we failed to provide you an experience that was memorable for all the right reasons. We are currently working to bring our facilities up to date and on par with our competition. I hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night on the 24th floor. The room was very nice, modern, king size bed, tv, and balcony. We had an upgraded package that included the 'E Club' services. We had complimentary appertizers in the evening and breakfast in the morning. We asked for a late check out and it didn't cost extra. The hotel had many restaurants and is walking distance to Dundas Sq and the Eaton Centre. Parking was $30 for 24 hrs. Overall it was a wonderful experience. I would stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Marci L,

Thank you for choosing the Eaton Chelsea Toronto for your special celebration. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the hotels facilities. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Traveled with friends this weekend and really enjoyed my stay there. Beds were very comfortable. Our room was spacious. Some of the other rooms were not, though. Found the building to be clean.

Some things could use some upgrading. Ice machines are one of them. Our bathroom was pretty dated and worn but still clean.

Everything was so close to walk to it was a perfect location for our stay.

Used the pool and hot tub. Very clean. Not really sure that the gym should be in that hot area though. The humidity would make it hard to breathe in there. Great view while exercising though.

My one complaint of the weekend is the parking. I paid for parking in the hotel 29.00 for self park. A lot of money for parking but in all no big deal. When leaving the hotel to get to my next destination - I spent 25 mins waiting in line to get out of the hotel. I ended up being 15 mins. late for where I needed to get to because of this. It should not take that long to give a card that states that you have already paid for the service. It was ridiculous. Parking and the price of parking is my only real complaint.

Room Tip: The rooms at the end of the hall seemed to be more spacious.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank hckym0m
Dear Hcktm0m,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback from your recent stay. We are so pleased that your overall experience was enjoyable. I do apologize for the delay you experienced leaving the parking garage and assure you that this is not the level at which we are aiming to operate. I have passed your feedback to our Services team for review. I hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I booked this hotel back in May, when it was still the Delta Chelsea, but my stay was after the name change.

Right in the centre of Toronto, the Chelsea has entrances on 4 separate streets, which means it practically has a block to itself. My taxi dropped me at the Gerrard St entrance and I made my way to Reception, where a pleasant young woman checked my reservation.

She asked me to spell my surname, then tapped away at her keyboard.

Next, she asked if the reservation could have been made under another name. I assured her that this was not the case.

"I can't seem to find your reservation on my system," she said, apologetically.

"Well, you've already got my money, so it has to be in there somewhere," I joked, handing over my paperwork from eBookers. I don't know whether it was the joke or the eBookers reservation, but her demeanour seemed to change; but after making a couple of phone calls and checking with somebody named Gino, I got a key to a room on the 18th floor (1851, in case anyone's interested) and directions to the elevators.

The room was clean, comfortable and, in line with every hotel room I've ever stayed in, totally unlike the photograph on the website. At the rear of the building, there wasn't much to see from the window, but it was clear that the exterior badly needed a facelift.

The balcony, which was inaccessible from the room and may have been a fire escape route, had a rusted railing from which paint was peeling in places, and an item of ladies' clothing that appeared to have been there for some time (and for all I know, still is).

That aside, there was little to fault with the interior, and the staff were professional and helpful in all things.

A good breakfast can be had, buffet-style, on the ground floor (I recommend the pancakes), and the Monarch's Pub boasts a more than decent food menu and is not to be missed. The bartender during my stay, a lady by the name of Linda, keeps a good bar and taught me how to pronounce "Okanagan Springs" which I got wrong on my first couple of attempts.

It's a good place for a relaxing beer after a day's sightseeing or watching your baseball team lose.

So, would I go back?

Since this was my first trip to Toronto (hopefully the first of many), I wouldn't discount the idea; the hotel is centrally-located and no more than 5 minutes' walk from Yonge-Dundas Square and the Eaton Centre.

And while I do think the hotel needs to be a little more, ah, accurate in the depiction of their rooms (and the hotel exterior), the reality wouldn't necessarily prevent my returning...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SoloBob
Dear Solobob,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I apologize for the initial hiccup with your reservation and the delay in check-in. I am pleased that once that was sorted you were on your way to an enjoyable stay. We have recently begun a large balcony restoration project which we are excited to have completed. I am also glad you were able to experience the restaurants in the hotel, including the newly renovated Market Garden and T|Bar. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

sudbury
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Hello I booked this hotel through priceline showed 31/2 star and $135 Thurs nite
looked beautiful on line wasn't sure which hotel it would be.

I had stayed at the Chelsea another time in TO and had vowed never to stay again, to my disappointment, priceline $135 picked this hotel... pictures on line looked amazing so I figured maybe they renovated....

how deceiving....when checking in told front desk last time I came here, I was extremely disappointed with the room it was in their old section and mentioned I would not be coming back if given the same type of room, she assured us the room was nice, flat out lie....we will not be coming back ever to this hotel....l

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank happysanman

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2013

If you're heading to downtown Toronto, you can't go wrong here. Close to shopping, and several restaurants nearby. The lobby area is comfortable, with seating and a cafe, and very helpful staff. We stayed in a Club room, which offers a private room for breakfast and evening snacks on the 25 th floor. The room itself was in need of an upgrade, although the bed was comfortable. Outdated and a tired. The bathroom was very basic and also needs updating. Hopefully a cleanup in in the works

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Danymed,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your most recent stay. We are so pleased that we are your go to hotel when visiting Toronto and take advantage of our fantastic location! Renovation are in the works and are continuing throughout the hotel. We have most recently completed the lobby level and meeting floors. Hope to welcome you back again soon!