“Excellent location”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #59 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here during Buskerfest and we were right in the middle of the action. The hotel is massive but has great services and is situated just from all of the shops. The airport bus link also calls in at this hotel which makes it easy to get on and from the airport.

The beds are quite small if you have to share with someone!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear HockeyLady,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased that your overall stay was most enjoyable. Busker Fest was really great this year as it was moved right outside our doors. It was lots of fun to be so close to the action and we are pleased you benefited from that. Hope you join us again next year!

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Write a ReviewReviews (6,779)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hotel is in a great location - close to the Eaton Centre - and it has a great pool/water slide for kids. Some of the rooms have been upgrades but most have not yet. They are very tired, with torn wallpaper, stained carpets and cracked porcelain in the sink/tubs. Just know that you are paying for the location, not the quality of the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the towers where renovations have been completed
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Travellingmom362,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy that the location of the hotel was a big advantage for your down town trip. I do apologize for the disappointment you felt towards the condition of your room. We are hoping to further our renovation projects in the coming months and are happy to have the lobby renovations complete. Stay tuned for further updates on our renovations. We hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were booked into this hotel by an agency of a group tour and had booked privately one extra night. In a house of more than 1.500 rooms the staff at reception was not able - and not really willing to try - to book us into a room where we could have stayed for all three nights (both bookings were in the same category). What we got for the first night was actually a room for single use, very small, queen size bed, rusty efflux, dingy and urgently in need for a good renovation.
The next day we had to deposit our suitcases at the bell captain and checked in again with the voucher of the travel agency. The room now was bigger, 2 queen size beds, but also showed wear and tear. In the bathroom we found long black hairs in bed and washing basin.
Queues at reception and elevators could be seen at almost any time of the day.
The hotel is a typical "group-hotel" and certainly at the moment not one of the best. However, as it has been managed by "Eaton Chelsea" only since July 2013 (the former manager "Delta" is building a new house near the CN-tower) there is hope that they will invest in an overall renovation soon. At the moment I would not recommend it.
It is centrally situated. Eaton shopping centre within walking distance, 5-10 min, approx 30 min to Chinatown or Lake Ontario.
Restaurants: Market Garden for breakfast offers a buffet in different price categories at low quality. Lunch in T-bar was luke warm, the glasses smelled of detergent. The pasta in the bistro Bb33 had seen not one grain of salt.
Positive: Free WiFi in all rooms plus several terminals connected to a printer which is extremely useful to print for instance your boarding cards for the onward trip.
Alternative for restaurants near by: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Hilton-building University Ave. or Donatello (good Italian Food), Elmstreet

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank voyager-liese

Dear Voyager-Liese,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate this information as we use it to let our staff know how they are doing and to improve or correct our services. I have noted your comments regarding the food and beverage quality and have passed them to our Director of food and beverage for review. As we complete our lobby renovations we are excited to have the projects continue throughout the hotel. We hope that our renovation and upgrades are appealing to our guests and is getting them excited for changes to come. I hope that you will afford us with the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Having read various reports of the hotel we were a little worried about some of the comments however there is nothing for us to worry about. The hotel is first class, it is clean, the staff are friendly, the food is great, the pool and the gym are perfectly located on the 26th floor and the rooms are adequate and clean. The family are enjoying our stay at the hotel and would recommend it to all once we get back to England. Thanks to everyone at the hotel for making our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine. The higher you are the better the view of this wonderful city.
1  Thank Paresh04_11

Peresh04_11,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay. I am pleased that we were able to put your worries to ease and your stay was most enjoyable. I am pleased to know that all the staff your encountered provided friendly, and helpful service. It was our pleasure to have you stay and we hope to welcome you and your family back again.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

My family is staying at the moment, on our arrival all was grand in the lobby, but enter the lifts and rooms and it tells a different story.
Dirt and hair on the bathroom floor no refrigerator no room in the rooms and a laundry situated in the ladies change room at the pool,limited access on that one.
When I requested another bigger room I was informed that it would be an extra charge.

Very disappointing as we have been travelling across the US and Canada and this would be the worst motel we have stayed at, would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for inspection before staying if possible
2  Thank Mick K

Dear Mick K,

Thank you for providing comments on your recent stay. I apologize for the lapse in service you experienced and would like to assure you that this is not the service we are aim to provide. I also apologize that our front desk did not work with you to try and find a suitable room type for you and our family. Please do note that there are price differences for suites and upgraded rooms. Our guest service department is also able to provide mini fridges in your guest room upon request at no additional fee. We hope you will provide us with an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed at the Delta Chelsea years ago and it was great, but not so this time out! My daughter and I stayed there August 20 and I was disheartened by its decline. The lobby and restaurants are still aesthetically pleasant. We ate at the Bb33 restaurant where the service was prompt & courteous and the food was good, but not great with small portions. Our room was on the 12th floor and it was clean but tired, very tired. The cove molding on the ceiling had an 8' section that was sagging down, the curtain sheers had holes in them, and the carpet was worn.

At 3am we were awakened by the fire alarm and informed that the issue was on the 5th floor and that floors 4,5, and 6 where to evacuate the hotel and the remaining floors were to remain on standby. This announcement was made every 2 to 3 minutes. After 20 minutes we were given the all clear but in a manner which made me glad that English was my first language as we were told that "the problem on the 5th floor has been rectified." In the morning at checkout, I asked why the alarm went off as I was trying to establish if it was indeed warranted or the fault of the hotel with faulty wiring/sensors and the hotel clerk told me that she didn't know. I told her about a similar incident that had happened to me at the Westin Hotel in Ottawa where the guests were awakened by a fire alarm in the wee hours of the morning and were given a voucher for a complimentary stay to compensate for the inconvenience. As I was about to conclude the clerk cut me off and in a very abrupt fashion told me that it wasn't the Chelsea's policy to compensate guests for being awakened by fire alarms and that it was the hotel's policy to ensure the safety of its guests. I mentioned that I wasn't able to get back to sleep for several hours and that my daughter who suffers from anxiety issues had a mild anxiety attack due to the alarm and waiting on standby, she told me that it was unfortunate but nothing could be done.

THIS WILL DEFINITELY BE MY LAST STAY AT THE EATON CHELSEA.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
2  Thank Kevin F

Dear Kevin F,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback on your recent stay at the Chelsea. I do apologize for the disappointment you felt towards the condition of your room and can certainly understand your frustrations. We are working through our brand transition and doing some extensive renovations to the hotel. We hope to have these projects completed soon and are excited to be able to offer our guest a new fresh look. I have passed your feedback to our housekeeping team for review.

One of our biggest concerns at the hotel is the safety of our guest and our staff. We treat every fire alarm seriously and work directly with the Toronto Fire Department to rectify and clear all alarms. I do apologize for the disturbance the alarm caused during the night of your stay. Fortunately in this case no one was hurt and the Fire Department was able to clear the effected floors. We do not provide compensation for alarms/disturbances of this nature.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Great service from the front desk. Well located. Plenty of eating locations
Parking rates not excessive. I haven't got the time to write a book. 120 characters is too long. Please revamp your criteria to allow less than 120 characters

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Robert D

Dear Robert D,

Thank you for your note. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and were able to check out our restaurants. We hope you will visit again soon.