“Revolting”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #60 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This place is awesome if you like filth, pissy air and stupid people. My hubby and I booked a Deluxe King room for a night because the location was ideal and the hotel looked decent enough. We're not fussy people and I'm a Toronto girl with hometown pride, but this hotel is VILE. Desk staff slow, unfriendly, unhelpful and unprofessional. Elevators slow. Halls dark and musty. Room massively dated / smelly. Access to balcony cut off, so no ventilation apart from the A/C which pumped out what can only be described as hot piss vapor. Dirty, dusty, stuffy, gross. No wifi, despite confirming wifi requirement with desk staff minutes beforehand. Called front desk, on hold for ages, transferred, then moved to another Deluxe King room with wifi. Room was slightly less dated than previous room, but still musty, dirty and unpleasant. Functioning balcony so got some real air at least but balcony FILTHY, with a view of many other dirty/depressing balconies. Shocked to discover a disgustingly old chicken bone lying in the middle of the floor by the desk. Impossible for a cleaner to miss, which led to that eerie feeling that someone had 'used' the room after it had been "cleaned"...nice. Called front desk again, reply was "well what do you want us to do?" Um...how about you use your head...GET RID OF IT...RE-CLEAN THE FLOOR...MOVE US TO ANOTHER ROOM!? At the time we were in such disbelief and so grossed out we were actually on our ipad searching for another hotel to stay at, but the wifi was so slow and we were on such a tight schedule that we decided to just live with it as it was only for one night. They finally agreed to send someone up to clean it, so we popped out. Three hours later we returned and it was still there! Ridiculous. We ended up cleaning it ourselves. Went out for the evening and stayed out as late as possible to minimize our time in the dirty hotel room. We made a 3 minute long distance call to Waterloo ON and were charged $22 + tax, on top of $1.89 per local call. Outrageous. Central downtown location is good, but hotel is dated and disgusting. Staff are absolutely useless. Atmosphere/ambiance non-existent. Overall revolting experience. You couldn't pay us to stay there again. The worst.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JenPike
There are newer reviews for Chelsea Hotel, Toronto

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at the Eaton Chelsea for four nights. We enjoyed the indoor swimming pool and fitness area very much. The room was nice and clean but would benefit from a redecoration. There is construction work going on at the hotel, but since we were never at the hotel in the day time this did not bother us. We got excelent service form the peopleq at the congierge desk. They were really helpful at booking tickets etc. For us.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear RegitzeV,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that during your stay you were able to check out our pool and fitness centre. Renovations are necessary to our business and I am pleased that you were not inconvenienced by any of the work being done during your stay. I am happy to say that the renovation in the lobby are complete, and hope you will come and check it out soon.

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife, teenage son, and I were at the Delta Chelsea in late June just before the hotel changed ownership. This is a huge hotel (over 1500 rooms), right in the middle of downtown Toronto on Younge Street a key North-South artery. That's a huge plus. We got a room through Hotwire for $98 a night; that cannot be beat. The room was large and comfortable- excellent beds and a good size sitting area with sofa, table, and chairs. The check-in was quick and efficient, the concierge helpful. From here it's easy to walk to Eaton Centre and the Metro. Close to Hockey Hall, waterfront, CN Tower and much more. On the minus side, the lobby is being renovated, the whole place feels faded and dated, and I didn't like the dark, creepy parking garage ($30 a day even without using valet). Still, it's a worthwhile place to stay and I imagine the renovations will make it feel almost like new. My teenage son (a tough critic) and wife really liked it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Steve W,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Eaton Chelsea (when it was Delta). I am pleased that the location of the hotel was well suited to your needs and that the hotel room and amenities were enjoyable and won the approval of your wife and son!
We hope you will stay with us when you are in Toronto again.

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Booked over the phone for our stay prior to sick kids appointment for our twins. Needed 1 bdrm suite and were told that all were renovated which upon arrival turned out to be not true. Our package included parking and the front clerk said no until I pulled up the hotels website to show the package details. She then asked to borrow my cell phone so she could take back to show her manager to get approval. It was off their OWN website! We didn't realize that the room was not renovated until we checked into our room. It was disgusting and dirty. Carpet was stained, wallpaper peeling, smelled like cat pee. Very disturbing. Returned to front desk to find out none of the suites are renovated so we were forced to find another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank fairlady11

Dear Fairlady11,

Thank you for taking time to provide some feedback and details regarding you most recent stay. I must apologize for the miscommunication on behalf of the hotel. I would like to clarify that our 1 and 2 bedroom suites have not been fully updated or renovated recently. We have done small touch up and replaced the appliances and televisions within the last year. We do have kitchenette suites that have been renovated in the last couple years and are on our lower floors. I can certainly understand your disappointment and choice to move locations. I hope that you will stay with us again under different circumstances so that we may provide you with exceptional service and a memorable experience.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Got a great deal for this property on Priceline, was here during the renovation period so review does not reflect what the hotel will be like when renovations are done. The hotel had significant construction going on, rooms definitely need some updating but has everything you need and in a great location.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Jennifer K,

Thanks for your note. We appreciate feedback to help up improve services and let our staff know how they are doing. Hope you will visit us again once our renovations are complete!

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The location of this hotel is all that the Chelsea has going for it. I stayed there for three nights in Late June, early July while they were re-branding the hotel from Delta to Eaton. I got a good deal online for the room, and when I checked in, inquired about an upgrade, was told that for $25.00 i could have a room with a balcony, so I went for it. When I checked into my room, which I was able to do prior to lunch which was good, I noticed that I had a balcony, but the door couldn't be opened. Why would I pay for a balcony I couldn't use. I never complained but though that I was ripped off. The hotel was very busy, and noisey, as was the AC. There was noise noise from both the street and from other guests in the hotel. The rooms are not sound proof, or anywhere near it and this made getting a nights sleep almost impossible. The internet while free was slow and often dropped out. Doing anything online was almost impossible. The hotel is undergoing renovations. While the location is good, you may want to consider elsewhere unless you get a good price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This place is huge. Incredibly huge. We were incredibly lucky to get a room as we tried 8 other places and they were sold out. We paid 229 plus tax and 29 for parking.

Parking was ridiculous. We had to go to N5 to find a spot.

The lobby was super busy when we got there, it was almost as busy as wonderland (or so it seemed)

Check in was great and fast. The elevators were SO slow. They need quicker elevators or more elevators to accommodate all the people. Everything else was fine.

Check out line was ridiculous, probably 30-50 in the line for a solid continuous 3 hours. We did an express Check out. Elevators going down was ridiculous. People were waiting 10 mins for an elevator.

Other than that beautiful hotel and perfect location

• Stayed: July 2013
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear tlang5,

Thank you for your comments. I do apologize for the delays with our elevator systems. We are still experiencing long wait times for elevator repairs since the end of the union strike last week. I apologize for any inconvenience this caused you during your stay. Aside from the wait times, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return.